Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If my team won the cup, I'm not messing with anything before that (butterfly effect).

Somebody mentioned not trading Thornton for literally nothing and all I thought was how the Bruins then used that money to sign Chara

My first post in this thread was essentially making the same point, in response to someone saying they should have drafted Pasta in 2014. And, in general I agree, there's too many chances for things to go awry and come out different.

But, that doesn't mean it isn't really tempting to imagine that they could draft McAvoy in 2016 instead of Jost, and the only obvious changes until they win the Cup would be that they don't trade for Nico Sturm or Josh Manson. Obviously, it would still come with risks, but as long as they still draft Makar, trade Duchene for the same return, draft Byram and trade for Lehk, I think they still win that Cup without too much trouble. Hard to think McAvoy would make the team worse.

But, I guess there is the risk that McAvoy might have said something to Duchene that would make him want to stick around. Or they wouldn't have drafted Barron to eventually trade for Lehk.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Trading for Griffin Reinhart. That was crazy. The hockey gods were in Edmonton's draft favor majorly. The possibility of drafting McDavid and Barzal in the first round.

Unfortunately Chiarelli was a big Griffin Reinhart fan. However his brother Sam Reinhart is having a stellar career and still going strong.

Could of had McDavid, Barzal and Draisaitl in the top 6.

I'm not saying the Oilers scouts/Chia would have selected Barzal but that was wishful thinking at the time.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Just one? That's tough for a Leafs fan.

I'd NOT promote Dave 'status-quo' Nonis. If the team didn't want Brian Burke anymore, why hand the keys to his yes-man? Nonis did jack while in charge of the Leafs, and delayed any real rebuild while slowly making things worse. By not hiring him, the Leafs get a real direction (rebuild) faster, maybe in time for Kessel or Phaneuf to be useful. And they also avoid some giant mistakes like:

Signing David Clarkson
Trading for Jonathan Bernier
Declining a 1st rounder for Kulemin
Letting MacArthur walk

Just an entire failed era that could have been avoided.

I don't mean to rub it in, but the Marleau cap dump that gave the Canes Seth Jarvis has to sting a bit as well.

Reactions: banks

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not giving Dennis Seidenberg a new contract in the summer of 2009. D-Berg was a huge contribution to the 2011 Bruins cup winning team.

His "replacement" was Aaron Ward who quite frankly sucked in his return (see video below) but beyond just that, it started a trend with trying to patch holes with duct tape. In other words, instead of signing quality guys and/or drafting and developing such talent, the idea was signing guys who were at best, okay NHLers, and putting them in positions where they weren't going to succeed. There were a few drafted players (think 5th round and beyond) playing full seasons who at best elsewhere would get maybe half a season. At least one of these players (Brett Bellemore I think) had an agent that complained his client wasn't getting a fair shake from Carolina when it came time for re-up even though his client just wasn't very good and IIRC never saw the NHL again. So we had bad players and agents who thought said players should be making bank.

Not just the defense, Eric Staal never really had a suitable partner to play alongside with, at least not consistently. Cam Ward never had a healthy or reliable backup. The team as a whole played boring, predictable hockey.

This is how bad Aaron Ward was in 2009-10.

Last edited:

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Going to go slightly off the board for the Leafs and say declining a reported Andreas Johnsson + Travis Dermott for MacKenzie Weegar deal around 2018

Drop a 1D in Weegar on to a couple of these past teams/the current roster and it changes the outlook a lot without messing with any of the current pieces

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's between hiring Dubas or hiring JFJ.

Not hiring JFJ Prevents Rask for Raycroft.

Not hiring Dubas prevents them from trad down from #24, the Travis Konecny pick and ending up with Travis Dermott, they also passed on Aho to take Dermott.

Yeah It's not hiring Dubas.

As bad as Rask for Raycroft is, and it is, Dubas screwed up what could have been a historic draft for the franchise.

He could have walked away with Marner, Konecny AND Aho, Matthews would still have been a Leaf because all of Marner Konecny and Aho would have gone back to Jr.

Lou still gets hired so they still Andersen

Hyman probably still gets acquired.

As loaded with young talent as Toronto was, if Dubas doesn't screw up the 2015 draft they could have had A LOT more

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
The idea of trading those picks for a soon-to-be in the lineup d-man was alright. The target was ridiculous and seemed to be based on Chiarelli falling in love with Reinhart at the draft and pro scouts not doing their jobs. That's using my imagination a bit, who knows why he targeted Reinhart!?
The Bruins spited Chia on a Dougie Hamilton trade where they ended up taking less from the Flames.

Chia then panicked and made the Reinhart trade.

Our head scout did an interview right after the trade and said he hadn’t seen Reinhart play since junior but “he knows the player”…..it was peak Oilers.

Reactions: Chet Manley

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
-Trading away young, promising looking Phillip Danault for a couple months of fringe 4th line contributions from Dale Weise and Thomas Fleischman.

-Trading away Panarin to bring back Saad.

-Overpaying Bickell and then trading away Teravainen to help move Bickell’s contract/cap hit

-Overpaying Seabrook by a substantial amount and extending him well past his prime when he was already declining

-Trading away young Gustav Forsling for Calvin de Haan

-Countless others I can’t think of rn

Stan Bowman was truly AWFUL

Reactions: Laus723

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Canucks draft Kopitar.
Big 6'5 potential franchise Center - something our franchise was thirsting for years at the time...
Fell in draft... Right into our laps. We passed on him to take a safe pick dman instead.

no, we passed on both the big potential franchise center AND the safe pick dman (marc staal) to take the riskier, lower ceiling dman

i was flabbergasted. when montreal, san jose, and ottawa all went off board, everyone expected the decision to be between kopitar’s skyhigh ceiling and staal’s very high floor. the whole fanbase was like luc bourdon? are you f***ing kidding me? i’ll murder your whole family.

Be willing to negotiate Danny Briere's contract in season back in 06-07 and extend him rather than refuse to negotiate in season and watch him walk.

The Sabres are on a completely different trajectory from that one move.

imagine if they keep briere and subsequently let vanek go. does vanek move the needle for the oilers? or do they still accumulate high picks in the hall/seguin, nuge/lando/hubs, and yak/murray (h. lindholm, rielly, trouba) drafts?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Benning easily. As a die hard fan he wasted 10 years of my Vancouver Canuck life. Continously getting fleeced in every trade made. Notables were Kesler, McCann and Forsling. He was a overrated drafter, Hughes fell onto his lap, while he wanted to select Glass over Pettersson. Chooses Juolevi over the obvious selection Matthew Tkachuk. So many head scratching moves that depleted the roster, that gave very little for Canuck fans to cheer about. What a disaster.

Aside from that I probably would have said not drafting Kopitar. The 4th rated overall prospect in the entire draft slips 7 spots because he wasn't from a known hockey country (Slovenia). I screamed at the screen when the Canucks passed up on him.

Jun 27, 2005
Letting Burke retool the Leafs instead of tanking.
The team he inherited was utter garbage.
Five years later they were still a bubble team and got bounced in the first round.
Three years after that they tanked for last place and Matthews.

Reactions: francis246

SeaChaser

Mar 10, 2021
Tampa
Trade J.T. Miller to Vancouver. I understand the reason, and it is what it is, but loved hi, here in Tampa.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Trade J.T. Miller to Vancouver. I understand the reason, and it is what it is, but loved hi, here in Tampa.
An athlete like JT Miller comes once a century, maybe once ever. JesusT Miller must be protected at all costs

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Keep the first rounder instead of acquiring Chiarot.or get someone worthy of the first…but reality was the team wasn’t there yet. They weren’t ready.

Or keep Luongo and build a good team in front of him, but ownership at the time was awful and wouldn’t have done that for Lou.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks draft Kopitar.
Big 6'5 potential franchise Center - something our franchise was thirsting for years at the time...
Fell in draft... Right into our laps. We passed on him to take a safe pick dman instead.

Remember people were apparently concerned because of the small hockey nation he was from.
Hurts.
Bourdon dying isn't fair in this debate imo.
You should choose something else, like the Ekman-Larsson trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad