Pre-Game Talk: Redemption against the Bruins

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This team started the week with a massive win and a lot of good vibes. Now the sky is falling. In true Leaf fashion, we will complete the rollercoaster this week and have a big win vs a very desperate Bruins team.

Expect Stolarz to get back in net and a big game from Matthews.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Lorentz is as 4th liner as a 4th liner comes. He's not someone that should ever be moved up.

Holmberg needs to see a press box for at least a game, he's been bad.

What's up with Dewar? Feels like he's been practicing for awhile, not sure if it's cap gymnastics preventing them from activating him but he could be a spark for the bottom 6.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Disappointing to see them going with the same lines.
I really think Berube had predetermined to see a set amount of games before he makes a decision.

Whether that is 10, 20, 41.

It is too emotional of a response to make changes everytime something doesn't work out. Now, he can make in game changes when it is warranted but most coaches are going to want to truly assess their new team over an extended period before he picks the lines he wants.

As for the PP non changes. That is baffling. Although he was quick to replace Rielly with OEL

Reactions: Evilhomer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I really think Berube had predetermined to see a set amount of games before he makes a decision.

Whether that is 10, 20, 41.

It is too emotional of a response to make changes everytime something doesn't work out. Now, he can make in game changes when it is warranted but most coaches are going to want to truly assess their new team over an extended period before he picks the lines he wants.

As for the PP non changes. That is baffling. Although he was quick to replace Rielly with OEL
Yes, he would have given himself some time to evaluate and I'm not suggesting changing things 'everytime.....' but this isn't an evaluation issue. He needs to make a statement that it's his team and you need to play his way. Icetime and line mates is the easiest way he can make this statement.

Matthews and Marner have been terrible and Domi/Nylander have little interest in playing any defense. I'd change them all up.

Reactions: arso40 and Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, he would have given himself some time to evaluate and I'm not suggesting changing things 'everytime.....' but this isn't an evaluation issue. He needs to make a statement that it's his team and you need to play his way. Icetime and line mates is the easiest way he can make this statement.

Matthews and Marner have been terrible and Domi/Nylander have little interest in playing any defense. I'd change them all up.
Domi and Nylander have been winning their matchups pretty much every night. Seems a little exaggerated to say they are not interested.

Even the last 2 games where the entire team has been poor they have only been on the ice for 2 goals against.

I agree with you that he should let them know it is his team though.

Reactions: arso40

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
We need a 2C.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann ______ Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Marner
Lorentz Dewar Holmberg/Reaves

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Hakanpaa

Trade: Robertson, Kampf, 2nd round pick, Jarnkrok, Liljegren, Timmins

No idea what options are there but that is what the lines should be

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Yeah dont get hopes up for this one. All the images you might have of opening puck drop redemption and domination will come crashing down when that first hand grenade flutters in front of the net. I think they'll be mad and come out with energy , but so will Boston and Leafs are too fragile too match desperate teams who close hard.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I swear to god people used to cry that Keefe blended the lines too much now this lol
Don't be obtuse. It's the refusal to split up combos like Matthews and Marner or balance the lineup better. Currently the bottom six is a black hole while the second line is a gas can defensively, and M+M can't learn to play a different way. We also have evidence that Matthews can still perform with other players, so it doesn't make sense that we abandoned that.

Also Keefe would only mix up lines for half a period before going back to what he was comfortable with. He only tried new combinations like Bert-Matthews-Domi when he had to because of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad