Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Alexis Lafreniere signs extension with the Rangers (7 years, $7.45M AAV)

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Lafreniere would be an idiot not to test RFA. Cost him 20+ milliim over next 7 years. Former first overall pick and Rangers in caphell. Many teams be bidding high on him.

Rangers can't match because between him and Sher it be 13-14 million increase. Then they have increases to Miller, Tempe and Chyil. Trouba going no where, he has full NMC and loves NY.
You were saying?

• Haha
Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
They overpaid a little bit for what he is, but they are obviously betting on him to get significantly better, and buying up that many UFA years comes at a premium. Should be interesting to see how he continues to develop. Admittedly, I’ve never been much of a fan, but he proved me wrong somewhat last season. Perhaps that continues.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I mean as a rangers fan I love this. Arguably the best deal in the whole league for a team, no? As laff, he should fire his agent like yesterday. He should be signed for at MOST 6 years and AT MINIMUM $9mm

C'mon now...it's a solid deal for the Rangers and Laf, but slow your roll with any "best deal in the whole league" talk.

A year ago, most Ranger fans were ready to run this guy out of town. He was coming off 3 disappointing seasons to start his career and a 0 point performance in 7 playoff games. Not to mention a slow start to last season, during which he had 1 point in 4 games that culminated in a season low 12:45 of ice time.

To his credit, he seems to have completely elevated his game since then (thus the massive contract extension), but he was not getting $9M+ at this point in time.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Lafreniere would be an idiot not to test RFA. Cost him 20+ milliim over next 7 years. Former first overall pick and Rangers in caphell. Many teams be bidding high on him.

Rangers can't match because between him and Sher it be 13-14 million increase. Then they have increases to Miller, Tempe and Chyil. Trouba going no where, he has full NMC and loves NY.
Trouba's contract turns into a modified NTC next summer. Not sure who Tempe is. Chytil is signed through 2027.
giphy.gif

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Lafreniere is going to get serious overpayment if he gets to RFA. You're the one who doesn't know what to hey talking about. There's nothing with what I said.

Teams will bid high to keep Rangers from matching. They easily give up bunch of late first for former first overall. He will get 10 million all day long, maybe go 12 million.

Rangers have Shesterkin will go for 12 million. That's 14 million in increases in those two alone. Miller, Chytil, Tempe are all up for increases also. You looking at 20 million increase. Trouba they can't move.

Lots of misinformation here.

Reactions: LionsHeart

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He should have waited til end of season. If he kept doing what he did last year, he probably could’ve gotten way more than this.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Good deal for the Ranger I think. If he continues his play, he may have shorted himself a few bucks on the back end but getting a cool $50mil in NYC is hardly a bad thing.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seems like a good deal for both sides. Laf is continually improving and is becoming a solid player and putting up points. I have no issue with this contract at all for both sides

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They overpaid a little bit for what he is, but they are obviously betting on him to get significantly better, and buying up that many UFA years comes at a premium. Should be interesting to see how he continues to develop. Admittedly, I’ve never been much of a fan, but he proved me wrong somewhat last season. Perhaps that continues.

He's the second or at worst third best forward on a team that just won the Presidents' Trophy and is one of the highest scoring teams in the league. It's not an overpayment. His numbers aren't super flashy because he doesn't get PP1 time. He's a very good even strength scorer.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
C'mon now...it's a solid deal for the Rangers and Laf, but slow your roll with any "best deal in the whole league" talk.

A year ago, most Ranger fans were ready to run this guy out of town. He was coming off 3 disappointing seasons to start his career and a 0 point performance in 7 playoff games. Not to mention a slow start to last season, during which he had 1 point in 4 games that culminated in a season low 12:45 of ice time.

To his credit, he seems to have completely elevated his game since then (thus the massive contract extension), but he was not getting $9M+ at this point in time.

Hughes signed before he broke out with huge points, I believe. And two seasons ago is not really relevant this year. His play has gone through the roof especially towards the end of the season into this season. If he gets PP1 time he'll be at least an 80 point+ player this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad