GDT: Red Wings @ Senators | Round 2, Fight! Edition | Tue Feb 28th 2023, 7PM | TSN5, RDS

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Was that game 3 of the cup final? I was at that game and I saw one Leaf jersey in the crowd and I said to my friend "why would anyone wear a Leaf's jersey to this game?"
He stood out that night because it was pretty much a sea of red.
Of course I had to sit in front of Todd Marchants family that night and when Anaheim scored the first goal the Marchant family erupted all 5 or 6 of them. I was so glad we won that night it kept them quiet.
I think it was game 5

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone notice our DJ playing "Don't Stop Believing" at the end of the game. That is THE Detroit sports anthem due to the lyrics. That was cold, and I absolutely loved it...
Yeah, I called it right away when I heard the song, I said they are doing it to rub it in to the Wings LOL

We should play "fix you" from Coldplay when we win against the Habs LOL

Union2017

Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Yep. Ottawa has the 7th best record in the NHL for the last 3 months. Top 10 PP and PK. The players have clearly tuned out their coach.
That was never, ever the debate. We all know they like DJ. The question is can DJ coach at the NHL level. Let's not spin this the other way around. Nobody on the HF Boards ever said that they tuned the coach. Not as far as I remember. But we were questioning DJ's decisions

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That was never, ever the debate. We all know they like DJ. The question is can DJ coach at the NHL level. Let's not spin this the other way around. Nobody on the HF Boards ever said that they tuned the coach. Not as far as I remember. But we were questioning DJ's decisions
A cloud's been hanging over the guy for an entire season because of what's effectively a bad 10-game run at one point this year. There was never any debate to begin with, it's always been a lame narrative that gets echoed around this place to help people feel like there's some hope because the alternative is nuanced and complicated.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
Spinning now? Lol I posted nothing but facts and did not even mention the players liking their coach. I’m stating they are buying in to the system and having success for quite a while now

Union2017

Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Spinning now? Lol I posted nothing but facts and did not even mention the players liking their coach. I’m stating they are buying in to the system and having success for quite a while now
The issue is that he is not a good coach and I stand behind that. And yes, you were literally spinning and saying how people were talking how these players don't like the coach. Again, that was NEVER an issue. They love him, of course they do - nobody was held accountable EVER. And he seems like a very friendly guy. He plays Chabot until Chabot can't think and breathe any more. He puts Zaitsev on a first pairing. He does so many stupid mistakes and doesn't adjust during the game. Our D zone coverage is a joke. For chrissake Boucher's system was way more effective than DJ's ideas. I pretty much think that our players are more worried about Tkachuk and Giroux and dealing with them if they didn't work hard enough in the last 4 days, then about DJ and Capuano.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Well, I mean we’re all coaching experts in here…. We collectively ‘know things’….
Doesnt take hockey experts to see some coaches achieve more, with less.

Credit where its due boys are playing well lately and credit goes to DJ but I stand by my comments, DJ isnt a great coach.

As I said the other day, dont need to be in the NHL to know about systems and hockey you can still have played at a high level and know a lot.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The issue is that he is not a good coach and I stand behind that. And yes, you were literally spinning and saying how people were talking how these players don't like the coach. Again, that was NEVER an issue. They love him, of course they do - nobody was held accountable EVER. And he seems like a very friendly guy. He plays Chabot until Chabot can't think and breathe any more. He puts Zaitsev on a first pairing. He does so many stupid mistakes and doesn't adjust during the game. Our D zone coverage is a joke. For chrissake Boucher's system was way more effective than DJ's ideas. I pretty much think that our players are more worried about Tkachuk and Giroux and dealing with them if they didn't work hard enough in the last 4 days, then about DJ and Capuano.
…and yet the 7th best record in the last 40 games. Clearly he screwed up

Union2017

Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
…and yet the 7th best record in the last 40 games. Clearly he screwed up
Yes, so true. Everything to do with DJ and nothing to do with #7, #18, #12, #72, #19 being on that PP unit and even #16 scoring two goals in one game (which is clearly because DJ told him how to do that breakaway and take that shot). It's ALL DJ and his structure

Now let's talk about our D zone coverage which has NOTHING to do with coaching and how we constantly leave a player open in front of our net.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Yes, so true. Everything to do with DJ and nothing to do with #7, #18, #12, #72, #19 being on that PP unit and even #16 scoring two goals in one game (which is clearly because DJ told him how to do that breakaway and take that shot). It's ALL DJ and his structure

Now let's talk about our D zone coverage which has NOTHING to do with coaching and how we constantly leave a player open in front of our net.
I'm on the fence right now with DJ Smith.

You talk about the PP. A lot of time, PP and PK are said to be a result of coaching. Smith deserve credit for it. Now let's say we mostly give the credit to the player. Fine
The PK is also very good, way better then in past years. Doesn't he deserve some credit for it?

We say that we suck on defence. Well we are in the middle of the pack when it come to GA and average GA per game. They have less goal allowed then the team they are competing for a playoff spot aside from the NYI.

There is almost 15-16 team that are even worst defensively in term of result(GA) and we cannot say that our goalies were monster this year

It's the 5v5 that the team struggle, but they have done well recently.

November aside, the Sens have a very good record this year. That's why i'm on the fence when I look at all this.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Yes, yes. Just like DJ told DeBrincat to aim for the logo in November, especially allllll those 1 goal losses where Cat torpedoed the season

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Also, disappointing crowds for the two biggest games in 5 years. 16 one night and an embarrassing 14 the next?

Good energy for those who were there , but, boy oh boy, fans missed some incredible games live.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Honestly I think we're exaggerating the role of the coach. The team was playing well then lost Norris and Zub in quick succession, and fell into a deep funk. Now Zub is back and getting back on track, other players who were struggling (Watson, Kastelic) seem to be energized (my guess would be they were playing through injuries previously) and we're "only" missing Norris and Forsberg, so we're relatively healthy (knock on wood), and voila, we're playing well again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chabot was also dealing with some injury or another. Same with Batherson. That would be a more logical explanation of the dip in their respective performance this year, rather than some mystical coaching issue.

Reactions: JD1 and PlayItAgain

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Go ahead and talk about. Step right up. Explain to us idiots exactly what it is with our structure that is causing problems. Heck, take it a step further and detail how you'd change the structure

You won't. You're probably the 6th guy that has said structure who I've challenged to explain in detail what the problem is. And they all wither away with nothing to say other than the odd offhand insult in an effort to redirect

Your comment about the PP being the result of the players is actually funny

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fans will come back when Melnyk is gone.
We're averaging 6k more than last year, granted some games were impacted by Covid restrictions. We averaged 12k prior to the pandemic cancelling the final dozen games of 2019-20, so 4k more, yeah, I'd say the fans are definitely coming back, whether that's because Melnyk is gone or not is impossible to know but even in the days of 18k we had some down games.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad