Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
letter-k.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.

I have some terrible news for you, if that's what you think is gonna happen. :biglaugh:

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I love the Wings and really enjoy wearing my jersey in every away arena I visit, but I think you’re a tad too optimistic…

The defence will be very slow and if Holl plays similar to how he did last year for the leafs, you will hate him in a heartbeat. I do think the defence is vastly improved compared to last season and they are probably the most improved defensive group compared to last season, but they were the equivalent of a hot steamy pile of dung last season so that’s not saying too much….

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d take the Devils D core over Wings‘ 100 times out of 100.
Hamilton , Hughes , Nemec , Marino , Seigenthaler , Bahl .
Very good mix IMO with having each pair with an offense style paired with a stay at home guy .
All are good at moving the puck and Hughes and Nemec have the potential to be elite at it.
Just my two cents but I think Luke and Nemec will be as good or better than Seider amd Edvinsson. Then Hamilton is better than any other D on Detroit, then have Marino Seigs who are elite defensively. Bahl played very well agajnst the Rangers in the playoffs and showed glimpses of being physically dominant and able to defend very well.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I think it's certainly an underrated group and deep enough that you have 8 capable NHL D in lieu of potential injuries (Edvinsson currently won't return until October-ish). If we're talking sheer depth in that regard, maybe the deepest.

However, depth can only get you so far when the higher-end talent is relatively thin compared to Colorado, for example... Unless you're Seattle I guess. I'm interested to see how Ghost can do as I've always liked him and in the right system he might pop off like Walman did last year (a guy who I'm hoping can repeat his elevated play). Give it 1-2 years for Edvinsson and 3-4 years for Wallinder to be established and maybe even ASP. Teams are gonna hate playing Detroit.

I also wouldn't say Larkin or Copp are either elite 2-way players. Both good to pretty good, but also Debrincat hasn't played with the team yet so I don't think it's fair to say Larkin can elevate him.

Husso is quite inconsistent and so far unproven in terms of carrying a 55+ game starter role. I'm hesitant to give him such praise but might thrive in a 50/50 role with Lyon. Top 5 in the division? Hmmm I would be hesitant to praise Husso if that's the metric we're going by.

I do agree that the depth forward additions are underrated pieces that will help greatly so that the top 6 forwards can do offensive heavy lifting.

Damn though, it's been an exciting offseason for Wings fans so I can understand being somewhat overzealous here.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Is this defense just quiet or is it also burning small settlements?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad