Speculation: Red Wings next Alternate Captains ?

Next Red Wings assistant Captains? How many and who ?

• 2 Assistants

• 3 Assistants

• 4 Assistants

• Ben Chiarot (2-season Red Wings assistant, 1-season Sudbury Assistant at OHL)

• Andrew Copp (2-season Red Wings assistant, 1-season U.Michigan Captain)

• Moritz Seider (2-time Captain for Team Germany at WJC U20)

• Lucas Raymond (2-time Assistant for Team Sweden at WHC)

• Patrick Kane (8-season Assistant for Chicago Blackhawks)

• Alex DeBrincat (2-season Chicago Blackhawks assistant)

• J.T. Compher (1-season U.Michigan Captain and 1-season U.Michigan Assistant)

• Michael Rasmussen (1-season Tri-City Captain at WHL)

• Jeff Petry (3-season Assistant for Montreal, 1-season MSU Captain)

• Olli Määttä (4-time Assistant for Team Finland at WHC + WJC, 1-season assistant for London at OHL)

• Vladimir Tarasenko (7-season Assistant for St. Louis Blues)

• Erik Gustafsson (1-season Rockford Assistant at AHL)

• Simon Edvinsson (1-time Assistant for Team Sweden at WJC U20)

• Justin Holl (1-season Toronto Marlies Assistant at AHL)

• Joe Veleno (1-time Team Canada Assistant at WJC U20)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This had some talk in podcast lately. Have been wondering the same. Could be new times ahead with younger generation.

So I did a poll about this, it has kind of 2 polls in one.

Last season Captains:
- Larkin, C
- Perron, A
- Copp, A
- Chiarot, A

Perron is gone, so there will be at least 1 new Alternate Captain if they don't go with 2.

First question is, should have 2 alternate, 3 or maybe 4 like we have had in the history. To split the duties, like between home and road games.

So you should first vote for how many Alternate you like, then you have another chance to vote at same time for the names you'd prefer to be next captains. You can multi-select as high five options if you want, 1 vote for how many Alternate you would like, then the (max 4) names.

I repeat, YOU CAN SELECT 5 (five) OPTIONS.

I didn't find any former Captain duties from the rest of our roster, so I excluded those guys from the voting.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think Kane gets an A. Everything I've seen or heard suggests he is good for the locker room and respected by teammates.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I could see them splitting the road and home assistants.

Thinking Copp/Chia/Kane/Seider. Start to bring one of the younger guys into a leadership role as the oldies probably won't be here by the team we really start competing. I could also maybe see Ray getting the A instead of Seider, just because of how hard he pushed down the stretch last year. It really showed a lot about his character to step up when he did, so I could see him as the "example" player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could see them splitting the road and home assistants.

Thinking Copp/Chia/Kane/Seider. Start to bring one of the younger guys into a leadership role as the oldies probably won't be here by the team we really start competing. I could also maybe see Ray getting the A instead of Seider, just because of how hard he pushed down the stretch last year. It really showed a lot about his character to step up when he did, so I could see him as the "example" player.

I hope for this too.

And it's much demanding being the Assistant on the road. All the time new media people asking different questions. Those road-captains should be all experienced, and any kid should be slided in easier, as home-game assistants.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Kane gets a permanent A, Seider and Raymond rotate the other one. I'm cool with rotating Copp in too. We should start getting some leadership experience for the kids and they both seem to have the character for it. Kane is well respected by everyone in the room and so is Copp if we want another veteran.

I find Chiarot to be annoying as an A as he seems to embody selfish hockey to me. He moves out of position and hangs his partners out to dry chasing hits. He gives the puck away seemingly each time he gains possession because he refuses to let someone more talented do the work. He takes penalties trying to recover from being out of position or just going full neanderthal when someone makes him mad.

I'm cool with the idea that a bad player can be a good (assistant) captain. Copp is an excellent example of that. He's not good, but he tries to play the right way. He can set the example for everyone else. He keeps his head and plays well when the going gets tough. When the going gets tough, Chiarot decides to fight the only guy playing well- on his own team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kane gets a permanent A, Seider and Raymond rotate the other one. I'm cool with rotating Copp in too. We should start getting some leadership experience for the kids and they both seem to have the character for it. Kane is well respected by everyone in the room and so is Copp if we want another veteran.

I find Chiarot to be annoying as an A as he seems to embody selfish hockey to me. He moves out of position and hangs his partners out to dry chasing hits. He gives the puck away seemingly each time he gains possession because he refuses to let someone more talented do the work. He takes penalties trying to recover from being out of position or just going full neanderthal when someone makes him mad.

I'm cool with the idea that a bad player can be a good (assistant) captain. Copp is an excellent example of that. He's not good, but he tries to play the right way. He can set the example for everyone else. He keeps his head and plays well when the going gets tough. When the going gets tough, Chiarot decides to fight the only guy playing well- on his own team.
I've heard Chiarot isnt a great room guy, but hes also a guy that will put his face infront of a puck and defend his goalie/teammates. Youre basing your opinion of him off of 2 seasons ago, last year he played like a top 4 dman again.

I think with the way Raymond played down the stretch, hes earned an "A" more than anyone else on the team. When the games mattered last year, he seemed like the only one with a pulse

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, it's a good joke and I got a decent chuckle out of it, but he started wearing the "A" in 2015 in case anyone was curious.
During the 2019–20 season, the Blackhawks appointed Kane as an alternate captain after Brent Seabrook missed the remainder of the season due to multiple surgeries.[80]

Ras wore an A for a road game in Vancouver two seasons ago. That doesn't make him one of the captains.

Probably could have worded it better, but the point remains, he's not really been a captain type for most of his career. Pushing it on him now in his retirement tour is silly. Pick guys that are going to be here.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
During the 2019–20 season, the Blackhawks appointed Kane as an alternate captain after Brent Seabrook missed the remainder of the season due to multiple surgeries.[80]

Ras wore an A for a road game in Vancouver two seasons ago. That doesn't make him one of the captains.
Wikipedia isn't a great source. They rotated their A's in Chicago and he had one for a while before that. What you're basically pointing to is when he never rotated out, big difference. What we are proposing here is likely to go to a rotation format which would mean none of them have this distinction then anyway. I do assume their will be a rotation, if Raymond or Seider go long-term I would like to see one of them become permanent and rotate the others.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wikipedia isn't a great source. They rotated their A's in Chicago and he had one for a while before that. What you're basically pointing to is when he never rotated out, big difference.

I don't know any better source than Eliteprospects for this, which really will put an effort for these details to be correct ones. Haven't really found any mistakes from the teams I know as my bread and butter. So I'll trust them.

1721414574270.png

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's great if the team has more players ready to provide some leadership qualities, but that doesn't mean the letters need to be spread around. I like having a defined leadership group. Notice how we don't talk about rotating the captaincy. It's understood that Larkin is the team's leader, the C is just a reflection of that. It's pretty clear to me at this point that Seider and Raymond are the leaders of the team after Larkin, they've proven it through their presence, impact, effort, and commitment. So they should both get an A. Then when any of the three lettered leaders are out with injury someone else can have an A temporarily.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Where's my country gone with the home and away As nonsense? 1 C 2 As please.

As far as the personnel, I don't necessarily see why Chiarot or Copp would lose a letter. I do look forward to members of the younger core joining Larkin with letters though.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think Kane gets an A. Everything I've seen or heard suggests he is good for the locker room and respected by teammates.
I will throw up when I see that, but, with this coaching staff, I fully expect to see that.
Veteran place holders always get priority over the next wave of core players.

Reactions: jaster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think Mo and Ray should get them, but I think Chiarot and Copp is who will actually have them.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Part of me wants and thinks it should be

C-Larkin
A-Raymond
A-Seider

Larkin has proved he's the leader IMO and just signed his first long term contract

Raymond Yzerman draft pick, About to sign his first real contract, almost a ppg player which I think he will only get better and was clutch fighting for a playoff spot, Future potential star and possible long term fixture with the Wings.

Seider is looking like a franchise dman. Also about to sign his first real contract and another Yzerman draft pick.

Once their contracts are signed, these are the core guys Yzerman is building the team around after all..

Kane is probably gonna wear one they did sign him for his talent and experience. Cups, medals, the guy knows what it takes to win..

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad