Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): THIS IS BRAZIL (Start Of 2024 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Lamar throws a flat ball with a lot of velocity (similar to Vick) but I didn't see much touch.
Most of his successful plays are him buying time and firing a bullet (similar to early McNabb) to an open receiver.
But I don't see much progression in him as a QB over his career.

And his playoff record is similar to Vick, 6g 57.4%, 6.8 YPA.

I didn't like the RPO with Hurts because like Chip's offense, it worked until DCs got a lot of film, last year they were targeting Hurts and beating the hell out of him.

I reference Steve Young b/c that's how a QB with running skills should be used, develop a conventional passing offense around him, have him use his legs sporadically, designed runs a couple times a game to keep defenses honest, scrambling when the pocket breaks down to slow down a pass rush.

But if your QB is running 10-15 times a game, something is wrong with your offense.
[the tush push is different, b/c of Hurts physique, he's extremely efficient at it and it's not particularly dangerous]

The game has changed. It's fine to not like it, but we at least have to accept it and look through a modern lense. Chip's offense is not analogous to RPOs. The reason Chip fell off was that he stopped evolving the scheme Every single offense in football gets "figured out." Hell, that's what makes football so great to me. It's truly chess.

This is a conversation I've brought up before, but I think it's extremely important. A few years back, Seth Galina and Diante Lee were talking about how many high school QBs today are better than every QB in the NFL in 1993. That's not saying that Steve Young or Warren Moon was anything less than great. It's about the evolution of the position and what it is asked to do on a down by down basis. It's night and day from 10 years ago let alone 30.

I'm also not sure I agree that the Hurts sneak isn't dangerous, but that's a different issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The game has changed. It's fine to not like it, but we at least have to accept it and look through a modern lense. Chip's offense is not analogous to RPOs. The reason Chip fell off was that he stopped evolving the scheme Every single offense in football gets "figured out." Hell, that's what makes football so great to me. It's truly chess.

This is a conversation I've brought up before, but I think it's extremely important. A few years back, Seth Galina and Diante Lee were talking about how many high school QBs today are better than every QB in the NFL in 1993. That's not saying that Steve Young or Warren Moon was anything less than great. It's about the evolution of the position and what it is asked to do on a down by down basis. It's night and day from 10 years ago let alone 30.

I'm also not sure I agree that the Hurts sneak isn't dangerous, but that's a different issue.
I don't recall that ever happening.

Kings stay kings.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
People have been saying this since Louisville and it's never once been true. He ran a true progression offense even in college. It's backwards analysis -- run good, therefore pass bad.

Hell, people get this wrong about Hurts too. But Hurts is asked to do way less difficult things than Lamar is in the passing game. Or at least was. We have to see Hurts + Moore because that might change. I'm excited to see what it looks like tbh.
hEs jUsT aN eXtRa rUnNiNg bAcK

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
IMG_1197.jpeg

640.jpeg

Wings and Fooseball

I’m ready, here’s me few years ago with Bruce Arians

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I'm not sure they're that much better, still see a lot of crappy QB play in college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad