Post-Game Talk: Red Light Reimer blows it again; Leafs' season pretty much over

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know he is out of here. I said that.

Now you are blaming him for game 7? WOW.

He played a massive role in Game 7. If he had the ability to hold onto a puck to get a whistle instead of letting out rebounds, chances are 1 of the 2 goals in the final 2 minutes don't happen.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
How was Reimer "dissed in public"?

God damn, Carlyle said he was okay, if Reimer or any of our players get upset at being called okay (and really, Carlyle was being nice by saying he was okay) then they can get off this team.

Babcock once called Jimmy Howard horrible. Didn't see himlose confidence

You sure about that? Take a look his numbers of recent there Cor.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I dont have the numbers in front of me but I would say that teams that get a 5 on 3 for more then a minute+ prolly score at like a 70% of higher rate. A 5 on 3 with that much time on the first penalty with as much offensive talent as the Leafs have should be converted on.

I'm not excusing them pissing away the opportunity just like I'm not excusing (and was royally pissed off) that after watching their teammate go down and they get a 5 minute major because of it, they did **** all with it. I'm just pointing out that the situation doesn't always translate into goals for every team at every opportunity and I feel with the Leafs they don't often translate those opportunities into goals. The Leafs are a bad PK team and have been for years and I've seen them kill off a 5 minute majors and 5 on 3s. If their crappy PK abilities can manage that from time to time then it's certainly believable to me that a dangerous PP or a team with a lot of offensive skill can also be shut down in those opportunities...especially against a team that's actually a good speciality team.

It really is unfortunate. If you calm down, get your emotions under control, think clearly and rationally, take a deep breath, and put your student of the game hat back on; you know every hockey player on earth, no matter how good, goes through ups and downs. They flourish at times, suck at times, and are just their usual selves you expect to see the rest of the time.

Right now Reimer and several other Leafs are in one of those suck streaks. Nothing goes right. the harder you try the worse you get. When you are a goalie it is 10Xs more noticeable because the puck DOESN'T stop here. It goes in. It's just so painful that it is happening to Reimer at the most critical time of this season and perhaps in his career. You all know this is true.

You LOVED him last season. I feel sorry for the guy, but at this time he should sit. Slumps end as unexplainably as they start. A regular player can be allowed more leeway. You can shorten his ice time, but work him through it. This late in the season a goalie can't be allowed to work himself through it. Someone else must be given the crease. You are all correct about this.

To lambast him with all the expletive/deleteds and calling him the worst names you can spurt forth is not civil. Do you really believe a guy who has given you his heart and soul is doing this on purpose? He has bailed the Leafs out many times in the past. Now, not so much. Sit him down. Play someone else. Don't assassinate the guy. You just may need him again and he just might kick the slump and do the impossible again as he has done before.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. Right now the list of suspects is long. Reims is just too easy to blame. They fire most coaches for the same reason. You can't fire the whole team, so fire the coach. When things don't get remarkably better, the team has to accept the onus themselves. (I'd dump Randy too. He just doesn't seem to make any right moves, player failures aside.)

This comment was not created as a Reimer defense. As I said, he should sit! This team and it's coach deserve as much of the blame for this tailspin as the goalkeeper.

Solid post.

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
Don't be foolish. Look at what I said.

Hmm, well I looked at the quote again and you seem to be simultaneously claiming that the bad goals weren't actually that bad when you put the quote marks around the term, then you blame the rest of the team for putting him in the position of having to save perfectly savable shots, and then you go on to disingenuously imply that Reimer has only been letting in softies "now and then (all goalies give them up)". And you have the audacity to call me foolish?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Kadri 1 point in the past 5 games.

Need a 2nd. line center.

Lupul has 4 points so that line's at least kind of producing.

Also, Bozak 4, Kessel 3, JVR 1.

When you're playing the whole game from behind because no goalie/defense it really hurts the offensive production of all lines. These teams get a quick lead and can just play safe and sit on the lead.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lupul has 4 points so that line's at least kind of producing.

Also, Bozak 4, Kessel 3, JVR 1.

When you're playing the whole game from behind because no goalie/defense it really hurts the offensive production of all lines. These teams get a quick lead and can just play safe and sit on the lead.

See what's great about Reimer?

Everyone's favorites are given a free ride.

Kadri doesn't produce blame Reimer.
5 on 3 is pathetic its because Reimer gave up 3 goals.
Rielly gets caught pinching, it's Reimers fault.

I don't want to see Reimer in the net again because I want to hear the next excuse.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
He's playing very poorly.
MacIntyre will get the start tonight.

Even the team gets deflated when he plays.

Reimer should sit the rest of the season out - for his own good.

I like your enthusiasm for Reimer though.

The hard part about being a NHL goalie ... is there is always two other guys close to replacing you. People don't chant to get rid of the forwards and defence as loudly as it isn't easy to replace them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's playing very poorly.
MacIntyre will get the start tonight.

Even the team gets deflated when he plays.

Reimer should sit the rest of the season out - for his own good.

I like your enthusiasm for Reimer though.

The hard part about being a NHL goalie ... is there is always two other guys close to replacing you. People don't chant to get rid of the forwards and defence as loudly as it isn't easy to replace them.

The teams play in front of Reimer gets him deflated.

Wonder if Reimer has seen enough breakaways, giveaways, and odd man rushes and lack of defensive support.

Which came first or is it a 2-way street?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

I don't want to see Reimer in the net again because I want to hear the next excuse.

Free ride? you can't be serious maybe a trip down memory lane is what you need cause none of those guys have been given a free ride especially Kadri who's been traded, had his character attacked etc. since the day he's been drafted.

Reimer is responsible for Reimer. He's given up soft goals while the oppositions goalies haven't and it's been the difference for 5 straight games.

There's 2 games that go on in hockey games. One that go's on between the teams in front of the goalies and one between the two goalies in net head to head. Reimer has been clearly the 2nd best for 5 straight games and when that happens especially at this time of year and in this era of hockey where it's a goaltenders league your behind the 8 ball and will lose games with goaltending like that period. Doesn't matter what team it is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Kadri is a favorite here, when he is criticized, people automatically jump to his defence.

Fact is he is just as responsible as Reimer is for this losing streak.

He had 2 points on the road trip, and he has 3 points in his last 8 games in the most important stretch of the season for us.

There is no consistency for picking players to blame here. I wish more were as consistent as you and I am.

One thing I called him out for last game, is his seal act of flopping on the ice. He has bad enough balance as it is, he doesn't need to embellish it with his Greg Louganis act.

Kadri has a long ways to go before he is a #1C(if ever) nevermind a good #2C.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There's 2 games that go on in hockey games. One that go's on between the teams in front of the goalies and one between the two goalies in net head to head. Reimer has been clearly the 2nd best for 5 straight games and when that happens especially at this time of year and in this era of hockey where it's a goaltenders league your behind the 8 ball and will lose games with goaltending like that period. Doesn't matter what team it is.

Reimer is ranked 47th of 48 NHL goalies on GAA. (minimum 25+ games played).

That means 30 NHL starters and +15 more backups have a better GAA than Reimer does.

So when Reimer takes the net the opponents goalie is already the favourite and James the underdog in head to head expecting to give up more goals against. Since GAA is more a team stat that means opponents in front of their goalies are better and the favourites then Reimer's teammates.

Favourites >> Underdogs and win the majority of the time.

Why are people expecting the Leafs to win regularly when entering games as the underdogs across the board?.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs in the Clutch

Games since the West Coast road trip:

The Biggest stretch of games this team has played.

8 games.

Bozak - 7 points
Kessel - 6 points
JVR - 4 Points
Lupul - 4 Points
Kadri - 3 Points

We know who been the Leafs best Clutch player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Goalie Goals against average last 5 games

NJ : Schneider = 2.14 GAA
MON: Price = 2.40 GAA
TB : Bishop = 2.18 GAA
Det : Howard 2.67 GAA
WAS: Halak 2.21 GAA

Reimer has a GAA > 3.3

Who thought Reimer was the better goalie heading into the the game?
Who is blaming him for giving up more goals against then his counterpart in the opposite net?

Don't the goal against stats suggest that was expected outcome?.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Find it hilarious how you are all complaining about Reimer.
How about taking a look at your beyond horrible defense? How about having a look how the team is a whole?
And perhaps the way they are treating Reimer?
I'm surprised he even bothers showing up to the trash team Toronto has become.

This kid helped you get to the playoffs last season, forgot about that?.

Toronto went from being a #1 team with amazing offensive firepower, zero defense and a goalie duo that stole games again and again for you. also forgot that? and yes reimer was apart of that this season.

To being a team that fails playoff, with an offensive lineup that doesent produce as much, still zero defense and a goalie thats taken a beating through the last half of the season.
Did Carlyle honestly think that he could rely on the goalies stealing games for you all season long with zero defense?
I think he did, and it went as it would do with any team.
Goalies got fatigued and with no effort on improving the defense you are now falling from an incredible season to just being the good o'l Toronto maple leafs.

Also im quite sure thanks to the fanbase of the leafs, with the attacks on Reimers wife was the last straw for him, and you could tell easily in the last game that he just gave up.
Kid has no confidence and that is thanks to the fanbase for just trying to "Fire him up"... what kind of trash move is that?
It shows the class of the majority of the fans here. and looking at the replies most of you have towards reimer i have to say you aswell.

Goaltenders are the LAST line of defense. Not the ONLY line of defense. Its so god damn easy to complain on the goalie, but when the goaltender doesent get any help, any support or any sort of incurragement from Fans, team or coaching staff. what do you really expect from any goalie? And dont say "if he cant handle the pressure he doesent belong here"; Any goalie in his situation would be in the exact same hole as he is.
I dont think more than a handful of people on this entire forum knows how much of a mental game a goalie's position is in any league. **** with that and this is what you get.

i know its hard as a leafs fan to understand the issue and that im probably gonna get laughed at, but prove me wrong and ill admit to it.

Wait a minute. I've been reading for 25 pages that Reimer's confidence being shaken by the organization bringing in Bernier after what he did for the club last season, sharing the role and then having the #1 handed to Bernier, then getting dissed by the coach publicly. should have no part in his play now. He's a pro and this was a chance to come out of the ice box where he wasn't trusted and prove everyone wrong.

That logic is preposterous in itself. Now you tell me the team can't play well in front of him because they have lost their confidence?????
They are afraid to be creative because it might lead to a goal. You mean like breakaways, odd man rushes, turnovers in the neutral zone and their own end, failure to box out, failure to clear rebounds they know will happen just like last year, and failure of the forwards to get their butts back so the opponent doesn't establish offensive zone pressure at will? All of those things and more?

Then shouldn't they be tightening down their defensive zone play and stop running around and shooting up the ice for long stretch passes or firing cross ice passes through the neutral zone?

Hello! There are 16 of them and they crumble under the pressure of a goalie they have no confidence in? They are pros. Why don't they just do their job to the best of their abilities and win the game?

That's the same logic. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

+1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad