Post-Game Talk: Red Light Reimer blows it again; Leafs' season pretty much over

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is so true, and shows why those early goals are killing us.

The past five games, the teams have combined to open up a combined 11-0 on the Leafs. (3-0, 2-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0) .

Not saying it is all Reimer, but how anyone can argue that a huge piece of the blame isn't on him is truly mind-boggling.

The last game was a real laugher with Reimer struggling the Leafs start the game with turnovers and odd man rushes.

Yet, other teams are able to play defensively when they get the lead.

When exactly will the Leafs believe defense is required when the goalie is hot?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The last game was a real laugher with Reimer struggling the Leafs start the game with turnovers and odd man rushes.

Yet, other teams are able to play defensively when they get the lead.

When exactly will the Leafs believe defense is required when the goalie is hot?

Puck possession teams play defense through puck possession, reducing shots, scoring chances and running down the clock while run and gun rush teams think its the goalies job to bail them out defensively.

Leafs need a hot goalie to bail them out, while they attempt to outscore their mistakes and breakdowns. Heck even Bernier with a top 5 sv% is ranked #29 of 30 starting goalies on GAA.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Puck possession teams play defense through puck possession, reducing shots, scoring chances and running down the clock while run and gun rush teams think its the goalies job to bail them out defensively.

Leafs need a hot goalie to bail them out, while they attempt to outscore their mistakes and breakdowns. Heck even Bernier with a top 5 sv% is ranked #29 of 30 starting goalies on GAA.

This is bang on, IMO....

Bernier's play has masked a lot of weaknesses this year.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This is bang on, IMO....

Bernier's play has masked a lot of weaknesses this year.

Masked weaknesses?? It was in plain sight all season long. Practically outplayed every game. No one should be surprised by the current sad state of affairs.
Like that previous annoying thread "it was just not sustainable" :skeptic:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Mess;82252083Enrich possession teams play defense through puck possession said:
Bernier's save% isn't top 5 and Howard, Smith, Enroll, Nabokov, Pavelec, Thomas and both Ottawa tenders all have worse GAA than Bernier.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Speaking of quality, you grasp of the fact that a fan is clearly responsible for a team's fortunes speaks of your overall comprehension level of how sport is played. Speaking of newsflashes: psst. Fans do not dictate who makes the playoffs.

This team was nine points up on a playoff spot when Reimer when on this little five game tear. Pretty comfortable cushion, no? Gee, wonder what happened....

Yes, I know. The rest of the season we've had quality goaltending. These last five games have just seen us go from a battle for second in the division to a bubble team. A total collapse, and a large part of that collapse is due to the goaltending we've had since Bernier went down. Not sure why this is so hard to figure out. Newsflash: Bernier has had the EXACT same team in front of him.

:laugh: There is that so relevant guarantee. Psst: I'm not Daniel Alfredsson or Mark Messier.

There are bigger issues with this team, which is why we need good goaltending (see Bernier, Jonathan). When we get garbage goaltending the past couple of weeks, this is where we are (see Reimer, James). With Bernier, we are a playoff team. With Reimer as a full time starter, we are probably a lottery team this year. Starting to get the picture of how important quality goaltending is with this team?

Let me see if I can make this easier to understand. Reimer is averaging 30.4 SA this year; Ben Bishop, 28.4. Bishop's SV% is .927 with a 2.18 GAA. So he averages two shots less a game, and gives up a 1.21 goals less a game. Ergo, we were neck and neck with Tampa when Bernier went down. Now we are seven points back. The teams aren't that much different. Oddly enough, Bishop has 6 more GP than Bernier. If Bernier started four of the five he has missed, think we are still neck and neck with Tampa?

Yeah, me too.

Jesus. How hard is it to comprehend the "five game losing streak?" Is that not what has this team on the ropes right now? Want me to go pick out a couple of games from October when Reimer started, to make your argument a little more valid?

Well, yeah, that is rather obvious, isn't it? I am not saying this is a great team with ***** goaltending. This is a very average team spoiled by great goaltending. I said as much yesterday. Now that this average team is getting far below-average goaltending, you get a five-game losing streak. You are arguing against yourself.

Speaking of "facts", that is why Bernier is the #1, and Reimer is a backup. Bernier is doing what a true starter does. Great goalies make mediocre teams better. See Ben Bishop and Carey Price - and yes, Jonathan Bernier. Thanks for making my point for me.

Wow. Another "fact". The "fact" is this: Reimer has, in the past, been a very adequate goalie for us. This year, the "fact" is his SV% has him rubbing shoulders with Robin Lehner, Carter Hutton and Ondrej Pavelec. Bernier, with the same team in front of him, is sixth in the league. Them's the facts.

It's nothing against James Reimer. I like him. He's a nice enough young man. He was given a fair shake to run with this job, and just hasn't got the job done since Christmas. It's not personal. It's just the "facts."

Comfortable cushion != guaranteed. Either you understand that or you don't. The rest of your post is just noise. But at least you're trying to discuss actual hockey related things instead of your usual "gee it must suck for you we won last night". Then again, you haven't had the chance to say that lately have you?

Making guarantees when there is still a ton of games to play is not intelligent. Neither was it intelligent to brag how you "will be proven right" etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad