Speculation: realistic leaf deals at deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Theboss007

Apr 26, 2014
who do you expect Leafs to go after at the deadline that wont cost a lot and since were up against the cap who do we move out to make something happen? i cant think of a target player I think leafs would be interested in....thoughts

Reactions: MatthewsAuston

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Leafs… realistic…

upload_2021-12-3_0-18-9.gif

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nothing major, I don't think they want to make a splash while the team consistently underperforms in the playoffs

I'd target one middle 6 winger and that's about it. We'll know closer to the TDL who the options are

Reactions: 123offtheglass

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nothing major, I don't think they want to make a splash while the team consistently underperforms in the playoffs

I'd target one middle 6 winger and that's about it. We'll know closer to the TDL who the options are

If they keep this up I could see them making a splash

Reactions: banks

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Leafs focus will be on an upgrade at LW and maybe either another depth D man or if it’s a bit of a bigger trade a replacement for Justin Holl to give Muzzin a better partner on the blue line

Reactions: Burnie97

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Like I said in another thread… leafs don’t need to do a whole lot…. It’s more on the roster(star players) to get it done in the playoffs. The 2 spots I could see them add is

- physical dmen…. Either a depth guy that can replace a struggling dmen, or someone that can move holl to that 7th d spot.

- a utility middle 6 guy, preferably a vet/locker room guy… a guy like perry/maroon/cogliano etc. hell if the ducks are out of the playoffs at the deadline a guy like getzlaf/Rakell(not that I think getz would waive) would be good adds.

But the cap situation makes any significant moves much harder. I also don’t think the leafs need to spend a 1st or top prospect to add pieces. Essentially just looking at pieces to help against certain type of teams, locker room guys and physical players to add to depth

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
JT Miller 50% retention
Luke Schenn

To Vancouver-
1st Round Pick
Nick Robertson
Justin Holl
Pierre Engvall

Reactions: RonTextall

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Like I said in another thread… leafs don’t need to do a whole lot…. It’s more on the roster(star players) to get it done in the playoffs. The 2 spots I could see them add is

- physical dmen…. Either a depth guy that can replace a struggling dmen, or someone that can move holl to that 7th d spot.

- a utility middle 6 guy, preferably a vet/locker room guy… a guy like perry/maroon/cogliano etc. hell if the ducks are out of the playoffs at the deadline a guy like getzlaf/Rakell(not that I think getz would waive) would be good adds.

But the cap situation makes any significant moves much harder. I also don’t think the leafs need to spend a 1st or top prospect to add pieces. Essentially just looking at pieces to help against certain type of teams, locker room guys and physical players to add to depth

Love this post. Couldn't agree more. I'd add one more category to your list.

- Capable AHL/Depth players... Like Riley Nash and Ben Hutton last season. The Leafs have a history of making sure they have NHL capable players in the AHL when the playoffs start. Someone like Sven Baertschi, or Kyle Turris. You'd be happy if they don't need to play a playoff game, but they have a track record of NHL games.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We go with what we have and retain our picks.

Leafs have Ilya Mikheyev coming back which is like acquiring a new player. He looked really solid in the pre-season, and I predict he'll contribute. Ondrej Kase has been hurt the past few games, and with Mikheyev coming back, and with Clifford here, it will assist in managing his work load.

Leafs need a physical top 5 defenseman more than a top six winger, in my opinion, so if there is a way to acquire one without giving up too much, I'd entertain that.

Reactions: Ciao

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Two wants are probably second pair RD and middle-six LW.

If the Jets fell out and were interested in selling, Andrew Copp would be a huge target for me.

But I could see this team just picking up some cheaper injury replacement depth and running with what they have.

Reactions: hn777 and AvroArrow

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They got out ahead of the pack and made their big splash already acquiring Kyle Clifford as a depth forward.

Honestly, right now it feels like a pretty good mix of players, the team doesn't need anything and they have no cap room. Kerfoot and Bunting are producing like top-6 players. Until they start to struggle, I don't even really see the need to tweak for deadline prices.

If they do become 100% healthy, they will likely trade or lose Engvall on waivers like they have Amadio and Brooks so far. I knew coming into the season with an extra team in the league, that they might struggle sneaking their extra forwards through waivers. So, unless one or two of those forwards make their way back to Toronto, they may have to augment their forward depth at the bubble player level, like they did with Clifford. As Semyonov went back to the KHL as well. So, they're soon to be down 4 forwards, with only 1 brought in since the season started. They are going to need a couple more options.

Kivihalme hasn't been playing much for the Marlies and he is a decent AHL player, he could be bait for a forward. They could also give Ho-Sang an NHL contract and use him.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
A veteran, physical RD would be nice, whether to slot in with Muzzin ideally or even for depth or if any of Holl, Liljegren, Dermott falter ... But I'd like to see it happen well before the deadline as d-man (and even forwards) can take dozens of games to get fully adjusted to a new team, partner, system, etc.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
there are some factors at play before the Leafs make a deal for a fwd.
1st is Mikheyev-he has potential to be a solid top 6 complementary player.
2nd is what players are available Also based on Dubas's previous comments about preferring to go after players with 1 yr left, Miller seems to be the obv choice.
Outside of that
Giroux
Hertl
Forsberg
Kessel******<love the story line here and think Kessel would fit our top 6 well.
Smith
Pavelski??

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad