RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024, 9th, CGY)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s okay. Much of his production won’t translate though. And There’ll be issues in his own end.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
One of the issues we sometimes face when forming opinions on prospects is sample bias. If I tune into a part of the season where a prospect is hurt and only watch those games, I can walk away with the impression that they are worse than they are. Similarly, you can watch a hot stretch against weak teams and think the player will be an all-star.

Right now, I have a bad opinion of this prospect built quite possibly from watching a bad sample of his game. His skating looked weird as hell, he was agile but lacked control. His decision making was very poor and not at all NHL-like. What I saw doesn't match what the consensus seems to be on this player and it doesn't match up to what his production seems to indicate he's actually like.

What would be the best game to watch to see his potential? Something where his skating looks deliberate and impactful, where he's using his decision making to the best of his ability, and where he's able to play a defensive game?

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I can see how his body language away from the puck can turn some people off, but I certainly don't think he's lazy or lacks compete. He's an extremely fiery kid. Where he absolutely shines though is through his ability to manipulate defenders with his agility, edgework, and body positioning which is all incredibly unique and absolutely at an elite level. The amount of lanes that he creates for himself, and or his teammates is unheard of. You then top that off with one of the nastiest wrist/snap shots in the entire CHL and it's clear as day why he scored 54 goals as a defensemen prior to being drafted. No OHL defender has come anywhere near that total since John Slaney did 34 years ago. The closest would be Ryan Ellis whom "only" had 37 goals, and Ekblad who had 40 but in three total seasons, not two.

It doesn't shock me that some people just don't like this guy with the odd viewing or two, but with a deep dive on him and the person he is, I am incredibly excited about his future.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Is it? Karlsson didnt really jump off the page offensively til he was an NHLer
Point per game in J20 while weighing about ~150 lbs doesn’t “jump off the page? He always had immense potential; the question was whether he could put on the weight needed to play in the NHL. He did, as we all know.

Reactions: Boxscore

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Point per game in J20 while weighing about ~150 lbs doesn’t “jump off the page? He always had immense potential; the question was whether he could put on the weight needed to play in the NHL. He did, as we all know.
He is listed at 178....

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He is listed at 178....
“Senators director player of personnel Pierre Dorion recalled that Karlsson was not high on the team's prospect list at the winter meetings, but all that changed at an under-18 international event in February 2008.

"At that tournament he always had the puck," Dorion said. "He was only 5-foot-10 and a little more than 150 pounds, but he had a lot of energy. He wanted the puck. He initiated. He left an impression."

A few months later, the 2008 NHL entry draft was held in Ottawa. The hockey world had just witnessed another Stanley Cup win by Detroit under Lidstrom's leadership. So the Senators decided to add their own Swedish blue-liner to the fold. They had interviewed Karlsson at the scouting combine in Toronto before the draft and few weeks later in Ottawa.”

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No one said anything about EK. He wasn't talked about much until he made the NHL.
BS. He was a 15th overall pick, not a 7th rounder.
When he was talked about, surprisingly, people would say stuff like "underrated physical game" and "likes to deliver big bodychecks".
I’m sure he was really throwing around big hits, considering he was 5’10”, ~150 lbs when he was drafted.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
High risk, high reward pick. If you are Calgary, probably worth it to take the risk.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t really see the risk. He might never be a great 5 on 5 player. But at worst he’s a second pair elite PP QB. His skating is strong, weird to me that people question it. His ability to think and move the puck is special. Hockey is a thinking game. He’s going to be a special player. He needs to get stronger, and maybe take less risks, but he doesn’t really make bad decisions defensively.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This, 100%. Come draft day, Karlsson shot up the ranks like a rocket. He was a tiny lad, maybe a buck 60 soaking wet on draft day but he strut up to the podium with a cocky grin like, "Wait until you see what I can do." And, I think Parekh is a fantastic pick by the Flames. Screw playing it safe, and swing for the fences, the NHL is a star power league.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t really see the risk. He might never be a great 5 on 5 player. But at worst he’s a second pair elite PP QB. His skating is strong, weird to me that people question it. His ability to think and move the puck is special. Hockey is a thinking game. He’s going to be a special player. He needs to get stronger, and maybe take less risks, but he doesn’t really make bad decisions defensively.
I don't agree. I think his floor is lower. 2nd pairing Dmen usually have decent defense, good size, physicality, in some measure. He does not have any of those three traits. There are also mixed reviews on his skating.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

His edge work is strong, his top end speed is nothing special and he's not known for his transitional play. I agree at worst he's a PP QB but how he refines the other areas of his game will determine a lot. There is a level of genuine excitement Flames fans should have with him but I've seen people trying to pencil him into the lineup for opening day this season and it's delusional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad