RD Tory Pitner - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2024, 185th, COL)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
High upside defenseman. Lacks hockey sense right now. 6'0 178 right now, skates pretty well, good puck skills, good shot for a defenseman. Very physical. Goes for big hits. Tries to win individual battles by being physical. With and without the puck, the decisions are not good. Takes himself out of position for big hits without the puck and picks up unneeded penalties. With the puck, he tries to do too much. If he can improve his hockey sense to close to average, he's a first round pick. If not, these types of players have a habit of dropping. I think he'll be picked due to his talent, but he has a very big range.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of my early favorites for the 2024 draft.

He had 9 points in 36 games this past season, but he played for the Champions, so he had a lot of competition for a place and was more of a 7th defenseman. Great that he was even playing so much for such a good team. He played in every playoff game. Next season he should get a breakout role, and be about as good as Strathmann was for them this season.

Probably the best non-NTDP (or NTDP product) among American 2024 draft-eligible defensemen, and likely to be on the USA's Hlinka team.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

I liked what I saw better than the summer hockey. It was similar to what I thought about Gavin McCarthy watching him the summer before his U17 season playing for USA and then as a U17 in the USHL. Struggled with his decision-making in the summer. Looks so much more steady with his decision-making. Doesn’t look like any type of issue. I think he’s probably going to be the best American 2024 Defenseman outside of the NTDP guys. He’s a right-shot at about 6’1, he skates well, he has some offense in his game, he’s physically, and defensively I’ve found him really good. I think he’s a potential round 1 pick in 2024, probably more of a late first than early first, and otherwise a good bet to be a round 2 guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was such a beast in the Hlinka pre-tournament exhibition game. I think he's going to have a big tournament and then a big season.

He was the best US defenseman last summer on the Select team, and then played a full season for the USHL champs. The lack of points playing a small role for a very good team has him underrated right now I think.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He was such a beast in the Hlinka pre-tournament exhibition game. I think he's going to have a big tournament and then a big season.

He was the best US defenseman last summer on the Select team, and then played a full season for the USHL champs. The lack of points playing a small role for a very good team has him underrated right now I think.
I’ve liked him for a couple years. Looking forward to finding out what he can do in his draft year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had a standout Hlinka. Was the only real bright spot on a terrible US defensive group. The only defenemen I felt like we could exhale a little defensively when he was out there. He only has 1 point, but that was with essentially no PP time. Why? Beats me. I would’ve had him on PP1. I would guess he led the US team in TOI anyway.

Also captained the team. Really like his game and think he’s headed for the first few rounds, probably round 3 at the latest next season. He’s in the same realm as players like Strbak and McCarthy from the USHL last season.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
3+5=8 points in 11 games. No PP points either. Had two assists today, including a short handed assist.

He had 9 points all of last season, and is one point away from reaching that for this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1+1 on Sunday. Believe they also credited him for an extra assist on Saturday. Now at 11 points in 12 games. Second in the USHL in defenseman points and he doesn’t have any on the PP.

He’s a good defensive player and skater too. Likely the highest drafted defenseman from the USHL in 2024.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another game. Another point. This time a PP assist. First PP point of the season. 12 points in 13 games.

Edit: He won USHL defenseman of the week for last week.

Last edited:

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I like Pitner, but what's the projection? He's not talented enough to be an offensive driver or a powerplay type in the NHL. Usually the 23 minute a night shutdown types are pushing 6'3+ or are exceptional skaters. Or more likely both. Pitner is listed at 6'1 and is a good, but not exceptional skater.

I like his game though. He competes. He's physical. Good gaps. You don't put up 12 points in 13 games as a draft eligible defenseman without some puck skills. Is there enough here that you think he can be top 4 in the NHL? Or is he more of a 5/6 jack of all trades type? I lean the latter at this point. Perhaps if you really like Pitner you could point to someone like Faber, but I'm not there yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2+0 today. Had 6 shots. Now has 7+8=15 points in 15 games. Tied for the lead for USHL defensemen in points. He's having a great draft season. I think 1st round should be a very real possibility.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 8+14=22 points in 38 games.
I think he’s one of the most underrated players in the USHL, and probably the most underrated of the draft-eligibles. He doesn’t put up the point totals of Swanson or Connelly, but he could end up the best draft-eligible from the USHL this year when all is said and done. He makes very good decisions in all zones, skates well, has decent size, has a decent puck game, very reliable defensive play, and can play in all situations. He’s not flashy and doesn’t get much PP time. His team has 4 or 5 defensemen who have already been drafted or will be drafted, and he’s only their 3rd PP option for defensemen, but there’s a reason he was getting a regular shift for the best team in the league last year at 16, was the USA captain at the Hlinka, and then also was picked for the WJAC19. I would say he’s probably like a second round pick. Wouldn’t be too off if he ends up late first or third round, but I’d have him in the second round.

Reactions: JetLee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad