RD Seamus Casey - Early Candidate for the Calder Trophy (2022, 46th, NJD)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Keefe seems to really love Casey though and he's outplaying Nemec so I'd imagine when Pesce is back Casey stays in. We'll see how things shake out later when Luke returns.

For sure, the first move is easy with Pesce in for Nemec. When Luke gets back things may get trickier but that's also still a few weeks away at least and who knows where we'll be at by then.
I wouldn’t assume this at all. He’s certainly making it a hard decision but Nemec is more likely to be given the benefit of doubt, is starting to play better, and is clearly currently more trusted by Keefe defensively and at 5v5

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn’t assume this at all. He’s certainly making it a hard decision but Nemec is more likely to be given the benefit of doubt, is starting to play better, and is clearly currently more trusted by Keefe defensively and at 5v5

I do think Nemec has started to pick it up a bit too. But you take Casey out and it's a big hit to the production from the backend with a slow start (points-wise at least) for Hamilton and no Luke. Subbing in Pesce for Nemec would just be an upgrade defensively and you keep Casey's offense.

Nothing set in stone of course and who knows when Pesce will actually be back. Things can change quickly

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I do think Nemec has started to pick it up a bit too. But you take Casey out and it's a big hit to the production from the backend with a slow start (points-wise at least) for Hamilton and no Luke. Subbing in Pesce for Nemec would just be an upgrade defensively and you keep Casey's offense.

Nothing set in stone of course and who knows when Pesce will actually be back. Things can change quickly
It’s only a big hit to the production if you actually think Casey is going to keep shooting 75% somehow (3 goals on 4 shots). And Hamilton is gonna keep shooting so low (0 points on 19 shots).

Casey is definitely better than Nemec offensively right now but it is potentially a rookie trying to make the team bump vs a sophomore coming back from an injury slump. As you said, things can change quickly.

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
His composure and timing in the OZ are really impressive. Not the flashiest, but he's always jumping up at the right moment to supplement the offense. That pullback wrister has been money so far. Creates sneaky shooting lanes from the point too.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the odd man out when Pesce returns. Keefe has been very cautious with Casey's deployment/ice time.

As a neutral observer, I hope he stays in the lineup.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

That, and the fact that Casey is more well suited to playing LD than Nemec.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
What many here are also forgetting is that when the time comes & both Pesce/Luke comes back we can even try playing Casey or another dman as a hybrid winger/dman. I know it's out of the ordinary but it's been done before. Why send down someone who is actively helping the team win? If I was a coach I would experiment. Obviously it's nigh impossible to ask a forward to play as a dman but it's much easier for an offensive dman to be asked to play winger. Usually this isn't done with rookies but who knows. Unconventional moves can pay off.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I like the idea of going with 7 defenders all year with one of Casey, Nemec, or Kovacevic sitting in the box. It’s also safe to assume there will be plenty of injuries (hopefully short term) throughout the season so there should be a lot of opportunity for all of them even if they don’t always start.

I think Fitz took injuries into consideration when he signed Kovacevic and I think he got lucky with how good Casey is playing. I mean we’re already down two defenders and they look great. Awesome depth for a season you want to take seriously.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Barring injuries both Casey and Nemec are going to be sitting by November unless someone else falls off a cliff.

Team is just blessed with a ton of depth right now. Everyone is also going to get opportunities over this long season to get back in and reclaim minutes.

Either kid sitting or getting some AHL reps between opportunities isn't going to kill them.

Competition is goint to bring the best out of them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nemec was better today but still pretty weak defensively. I'd just take him out since a) Casey's been better and b) Nemec isn't well suited to playing his offside.

Special teams too. Nemec is doing PK duty that Pesce easily takes over without anything missing a beat.

Luke coming back is where things get interesting because the obvious move is to put him on PP2. You could go 2 D on that unit but I don't think they are going to sit Kovacevic right now.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His composure and timing in the OZ are really impressive. Not the flashiest, but he's always jumping up at the right moment to supplement the offense. That pullback wrister has been money so far. Creates sneaky shooting lanes from the point too.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the odd man out when Pesce returns. Keefe has been very cautious with Casey's deployment/ice time.

As a neutral observer, I hope he stays in the lineup.

I think the thing with his flash is that it's more through his feet than his hands. Casey hasn't been playing too much but I think Nemec is the much easier 1 to 1 swap out for Pesce. It's PP2 so it's not the biggest thing in the world but Nemec was pretty noticeably bad on the PP last year while Casey's looked really good on it. Casey's also been the guy that got moved over to the left side so it'd make some sense to just keep him there rather than shift someone else over.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Barring injuries both Casey and Nemec are going to be sitting by November unless someone else falls off a cliff.

Team is just blessed with a ton of depth right now. Everyone is also going to get opportunities over this long season to get back in and reclaim minutes.

Either kid sitting or getting some AHL reps between opportunities isn't going to kill them.

Competition is going to bring the best out of them.
I think that's probably likely with the way Kovacevic has emerged.

If it were me, I'd run 7 D and cycle Casey in at F and D and let him run PP2 with Hamilton.

It's also a nice option to have to be able to insert him in at either side on the backend if we are trailing late and need to create offense. Like, if we're down 2 goals heading into the third, it would be a great option to have to be able to shorten up the bench up and roll with:

Bratt - Hughes - Mercer
Tatar - Hischier - Meier
Cotter - Haula - Noesen

Casey - Hamilton (40%)
Hughes - Pesce (40%)
Siegs - Kovacevic (20%)

Reactions: Hisch13r

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad