RD Madison Bowey (2013, 53rd, WSH)

KingJet*

Top prospect for the Kelowna Rockets who are known to develop good defenseman such as Shea Weber, Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Alex Edler, Scott Hannan and Duncan Keith.

This guy is unreal and draws Comparisons to Drew Doughty and is heading to one of the best defenseman developers of the CHL. I think in his draft year he could at least crack the top 10.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Top prospect for the Kelowna Rockets who are known to develop good defenseman such as Shea Weber, Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Alex Edler, Scott Hannan and Duncan Keith.

This guy is unreal and draws Comparisons to Drew Doughty and is heading to one of the best defenseman developers of the CHL. I think in his draft year he could at least crack the top 10.

Bowey is a sick talent, I do not know how he fell 2nd round of the WHL draft, everyone including myself had him going 1st round...he is such a great skater, so fast, smooth and agile, he takes the body, he has amazing vision and ability to take over in the offensive zone while playing excellent defense...the guy is very sturdy built too he is going to be a gem in the making next year, he might be a better d prospect than Jared Hauf, keegan Kanzig, Spencer Jensen, etc etc...I think the only western dman who will challenge him is Josh Morrissey...though none of the other defenders I mentioned are bad either all are excellent future prospects and great talents but Bowey and Morrissey are both sick talents. For the record I can see Bowey being the next Drew Doughty.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Bowey is a sick talent, I do not know how he fell 2nd round of the WHL draft, everyone including myself had him going 1st round...he is such a great skater, so fast, smooth and agile, he takes the body, he has amazing vision and ability to take over in the offensive zone while playing excellent defense...the guy is very sturdy built too he is going to be a gem in the making next year, he might be a better d prospect than Jared Hauf, keegan Kanzig, Spencer Jensen, etc etc...I think the only western dman who will challenge him is Josh Morrissey...though none of the other defenders I mentioned are bad either all are excellent future prospects and great talents but Bowey and Morrissey are both sick talents. For the record I can see Bowey being the next Drew Doughty.

I think it had something to do with maybe wanting to go the NCAA route?

KingJet*

Fell to 2nd because he didn't know what route to take, has an amazing IQ, but hes going to Kelowna next year

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I think it had something to do with maybe wanting to go the NCAA route?

Yep, this was the reason for the drop. He has been well known out this way for along time now. His progression year after year makes me think he will be a great one in the NHL.

Last edited:

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
How about Jesse Lees? Will he be able to make the transition to the WHL. He is a really smart offensive dman but lacking size.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Bowey was a little too outspoken in pre-Draft interviews IIRC. Nothing wrong with that, but I think he sold GMs too well on his indecision- nobody wanted to take that risk.

Great player, and like scoutman says, he could be the best D from his draft class. Tremendous vision and short-range passing skill; pre-draft I compared him to Michael Del Zotto.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I didn't get out to that many live Kelowna Rockets games this year, but Bowey was a guy who wowed me in preseason. Finally got a chance to catch him again this week in the playoffs and I can't believe how unbelievably poised he is with the puck for a 16-year-old playing in the playoffs. His defensive game is a little iffy, but he is great on offence, with a nice accurate shot that he always seems to get through, solid passing, and great hands that allow him to out-manuever forwards along the blueline.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love his game. Very raw, but has some room for major growth. Could be a kid that climbs into the top 15 for 2013.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
One of those former Rockets defensemen is giving him a hand in how to handle the draft stress.

“I have a great opportunity with Luke Schenn practicing with us so I take a lot of advice from him and he tells me not to worry about it,†Bowey said. “That’s my mentality. I don’t really focus on it much.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/former-rocket-schenn-helping-bowey/

Not a bad guy to have on your side, being a former fifth overall pick and such.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Good! He's an excellent prospect. A lot to like, and a little to work on. He reminds me of PK Subban, plays a very energetic, in your face game.

Exciting prospect

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He was sat down by coaching staff for a game recently as a healthy scratch. Wonder if he has some discipline issues potentially.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Bowey is anything but a discipline case. Kelowna has extra D-men and Huska has been rotating guys in and out if they have had off nights. Bowey has looked fantastic at times and one game seemed to lose focus a few times and that resulted in watching from above. Its the Huska way, some guys are his targets and others get away with murder. Mackenzie Johnston can shot the puck in his own net and the coach would still never bench him.

Jul 7, 2009
This guy is sick. I have been to a couple of Rockets games and he makes everyone jump out of their seats and is a treat to watch.

I also go to school with him and he is a really nice kid as well.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Bowey is anything but a discipline case. Kelowna has extra D-men and Huska has been rotating guys in and out if they have had off nights. Bowey has looked fantastic at times and one game seemed to lose focus a few times and that resulted in watching from above. Its the Huska way, some guys are his targets and others get away with murder. Mackenzie Johnston can shot the puck in his own net and the coach would still never bench him.

This is all very accurate.

Bowey is a high risk high reward kind of Dman that loves to jump into the rush... He doesnt put up the points he is probably capable of as he is "firmly" at his spot in the Kelowna defense depth chart. Dont be surprised if he puts up 50+ plus points in the WHL next year. One thing I noticed in the 4 times I have seen him this year is he falls down alot... Could be bad ice in Kelowna, could be a bad sharpen on the wheels who knows.

Oct 15, 2008
He was sat down by coaching staff for a game recently as a healthy scratch. Wonder if he has some discipline issues potentially.

5O6F

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

I'm not a huge Huska fan... But he's got a solid track record..

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Caught a glimpse of Bowey yesterday.

A very unique player because he is very mobile and very skilled on the transition play. Has creativity in the defensive zone and has the ability to confuse forecheckers and get the puck right to offense immediately.

He is very mobile and always keeps in man in check. His main problem is many times he makes bad reads and makes a poor decision to step up to a player, leaving another player wide open.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have seen him quite a bit this season but remains a guy that I don't get a great read on. Talented and raw and if teams think is hockey sense will improve then I could see him being a first rounder for sure.

arsmaster*

Bowey has great wheels and heavy slap shot.

When I've seen him, I've come away thinking why did he rush that puck into the zone, nobody was with him and he just skated to the corner to lose it.

I'm not outright questioning his hockey sense, because it's there, it definitely needs to be harnessed.

Not a great reader of the play both offensively and defensively. Has to shore up the defensive end for me.

He's a player I really want to see in the WHL playoffs.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hey guys is there anyone who has a gauge on his pre draft stock?

I'm not sure what to make of him. He's a guy whose name seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit with all the first round talent.

Could someone in the know take a stab at what he possibly projects too?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think there's a lot of mixed feelings out there on him. He's got all the tools to be a definite top 15 pick, but I didn't get a great feeling of consistency from his game this year. Could he still go that high? Yeah, maybe. But I think he likely ends up going more in the 20's or 30's.

My mock has him going to the Leafs in round one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad