RD Dominik Badinka - Malmö Redhawks, SHL (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Potential first round pick in 2024. Late 2005 born right shot defenseman that I thought was the best Czech defenseman at the Hlinka. I haven’t seen him play that much, but at 6’2 he looks like a two-way defenseman. Even if he’s not a first rounder and I don’t think he’s some lock for that either, he’s probably an early round pick.

Reactions: czech and Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Potential first round pick in 2024. Late 2005 born right shot defenseman that I thought was the best Czech defenseman at the Hlinka. I haven’t seen him play that much, but at 6’2 he looks like a two-way defenseman. Even if he’s not a first rounder and I don’t think he’s some lock for that either, he’s probably an early round pick.

Yes, I think he was the best defensive player in the Czech team. He has good skating and hockey IQ. He seems like a player who has a lot of potential, but I'm not sure if he will really live up to it. He could end up as an average player in the Europa League, or he could be a player with high growth potential.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hopefully a good run for Czech players in these next few years after 2019-2021 weren't good.

2019-2021: 0 first rounders.
2022: Two first rounders. One of them top 10.
2023: Sale will almost certainly be first round and could go higher than Jiricek did. Potentially a few others have a chance at late first round.
2024: If someone is first round this year, it'll make it 3 years in a row with a first rounder, assuming nothing crazy happens with the stock of Sale.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Hopefully a good run for Czech players in these next few years after 2019-2021 weren't good.

2023: Sale will almost certainly be first round and could go higher than Jiricek did. Potentially a few others have a chance at late first round.
2024: If someone is first round this year, it'll make it 3 years in a row with a first rounder, assuming nothing crazy happens with the stock of Sale.
In 2024, Galvas should also attack in the first round. It's only a matter of time before it becomes more widely known.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wow that’s impressive given his age…given his physical traits and already solid showings internationally in his age group - I’d say this kid has the smell of a high-riser and this thread could get much more interesting by next June. It’s fun to try and pick out the guys who have “leveled up” early on in the draft season. Got Badinka bookmarked on that list now.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022

You can expect a streak of 4 with Adam Benak in 2025. Lukas Kachlir (2027) is also far ahead of David Jiricek at 13.

For 2024, David Svozil rather than Tomas Galvas.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
You can expect a streak of 4 with Adam Benak in 2025. Lukas Kachlir (2027) is also far ahead of David Jiricek at 13.

For 2024, David Svozil rather than Tomas Galvas.
Based on performances in the national team, I would say that Galvas is a much, much better prospect than Svozil.
Edit: points are sometimes not the best measure. And in this case it is doubly true..

Last edited:

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Based on performances in the national team, I would say that Galvas is a much, much better prospect than Svozil.

I don't see an area where Galvas is in front of Svozil.

If he is a 1st round prospect, given his size, it is on the condition of being a talented offensive defender. Which is not his case.

I think even Adam Jiricek is ahead of him.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I don't see an area where Galvas is in front of Svozil.

If he is a 1st round prospect, given his size, it is on the condition of being a talented offensive defender. Which is not his case.

I think even Adam Jiricek is ahead of him.
I just wrote an edit.
Galvas was the best defender in any game I've seen in the national team and it wasn't even close. I think that even after the last tournament in the USA (which I could not see, but others saw it) the others agreed on that. Galvas plays in the wrong team, he is dominant in the national team.

Reactions: Wooren

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
I just wrote an edit.
Galvas was the best defender in any game I've seen in the national team and it wasn't even close. I think that even after the last tournament in the USA (which I could not see, but others saw it) the others agreed on that. Galvas plays in the wrong team, he is dominant in the national team.
Svozil does better in Finland U18/U20 than Galvas in Czech U17/U20. With the international team Svozil is 6 points in 4 games and Galvas 3 points in 7 games.

Last year, Svozil produced more than Galvas and in 2020/21 his stats were better too.

All this added to the fact that Svozil is 9cm taller.

I don't see anything that makes Galvas a potential 1st rounder againts Kiviharju, Skahan and cie as LHD.

Maybe you saw it wrong or only a small sample. A guy from here said he saw Park better than Eiserman. Obviously, that is clearly not the case.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Svozil does better in Finland U18/U20 than Galvas in Czech U17/U20. With the international team Svozil is 6 points in 4 games and Galvas 3 points in 7 games.

Last year, Svozil produced more than Galvas and in 2020/21 his stats were better too.

All this added to the fact that Svozil is 9cm taller.

I don't see anything that makes Galvas a potential 1st rounder againts Kiviharju, Skahan and cie as LHD.

Maybe you saw it wrong or only a small sample. A guy from here said he saw Park better than Eiserman. Obviously, that is clearly not the case.
So I'll repeat it to you one more time. Indeed, points are not always what describes a given player the most. And this is exactly the case. Galvas was clearly a better player than Svozil and Jiříček in any game I saw in the national team. And I saw all the games except the last tournament. I'm sure you haven't seen any of these matches at all.
You look at the numbers and you are clear. For some, it's a little more complicated.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Here are a few of his matches. I guarantee you that there were a lot of similar plays in other matches, including last year's matches against Finland and Sweden. Neither Svozil nor Jiříček are capable of something similar. or at least they haven't shown them yet.
D Tomáš Galvas - HC Olomouc U20, Czech U20 (2024 Draft)
The problem is that Svozil has consistently outclassed Galvas in stats for the past 3 years.

So either your eye misperceives the level of Galvas, or your sample is too weak. Just think about this possibility.

You talk about him as a potential top 10 2024. From what I see on his career profile, nothing exceptional. At best he is a player of the level of Matej Prcik.

The potential top 10, currently, it can be granted only to Kiviharju and Skahan as LHD.

But if you're right, your eye is excellent. Personally I have tended to overrate Czech defenders in recent years.

Badinka has the potential to be selected in the 1st round. But the competition will be fierce.

• Haha
Reactions: Voodoozz

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The problem is that Svozil has consistently outclassed Galvas in stats for the past 3 years.

So either your eye misperceives the level of Galvas, or your sample is too weak. Just think about this possibility.

You talk about him as a potential top 10 2024. From what I see on his career profile, nothing exceptional. At best he is a player of the level of Matej Prcik.

The potential top 10, currently, it can be granted only to Kiviharju and Skahan as LHD.

But if you're right, your eye is excellent. Personally I have tended to overrate Czech defenders in recent years.

Badinka has the potential to be selected in the 1st round. But the competition will be fierce.
I don't get this - you are clearly just going by stats and yet you arguing with someone who has actually seen mentioned players play? Both Svozil and Jiricek are bigger and more physically advanced than Galvas, the latter also plays on dreadful teams.

Comparing Galvas to "at best" Prcik is the cherry on top though. :help:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Ok I see now - you're just stat-watching. Skahan is a very nice prospect but that you mention him as a potential top 10 talent of all the '06 USNTDP blueliners...and then...*checks EP*...oh look Skahan has the most points very, very early on in the year on the U17 team...*checks out*.

You're clearly applying this to Galvas...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I think rating players based on stats alone is rather silly. You obviously found his thread. Here is a discussion about the last tournament. There isn't a single fan out there who thinks differently than I do.
But sure, if you're going to vehemently pull stats here and nothing else, Galvas will be worse off. But the fact that he created an incredible amount of chances for himself and his teammates in every match, which were unfortunately not used, that he dominated the intermission, you can't really tell from those statistics. But I'm sorry, it just seems silly to argue with someone who follows the matches unlike you and as I write, others agree in that assessment.
I don't know how this player will continue to develop. But in the course of his international career so far, he was better (and probably the best Czech young player in many recent years) than anyone you named. Despite the statistics.
Have a nice day.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
I don't get this - you are clearly just going by stats and yet you arguing with someone who has actually seen mentioned players play? Both Svozil and Jiricek are bigger and more physically advanced than Galvas, the latter also plays on dreadful teams.

Comparing Galvas to "at best" Prcik is the cherry on top though. :help:

Seeing the player does not imply that we are necessarily more right than a guy who has not seen him. Because the eye does not have the truth because it is subjective. Because the viewer may not be lucid about the player. The statistics are objective. He is 16 years and 8 months old. He is left handed. He has an average size. Several players in his draft class have a better statistical record. Very rare are the Czech defenders to be selected in the 1st round. The best Czech defenders played in Extraliga or upgraded to U20. He absolutely does not look like a 1st round player. Even without having seen a player play, by knowing the trends, it is possible to get a very precise idea.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Seeing the player does not imply that we are necessarily more right than a guy who has not seen him. Because the eye does not have the truth because it is subjective. Because the viewer may not be lucid about the player. The statistics are objective. He is 16 years and 8 months old. He is left handed. He has an average size. Several players in his draft class have a better statistical record. Very rare are the Czech defenders to be selected in the 1st round. The best Czech defenders played in Extraliga or upgraded to U20. He absolutely does not look like a 1st round player. Even without having seen a player play, by knowing the trends, it is possible to get a very precise idea.
Any discussion is pointless here.
You write about someone you've never seen play in your life, that he doesn't look like a 1st rounder. Ridiculous, if you at least lied about seeing him, you wouldn't be completely ridiculous:laugh:

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Ok I see now - you're just stat-watching. Skahan is a very nice prospect but that you mention him as a potential top 10 talent of all the '06 USNTDP blueliners...and then...*checks EP*...oh look Skahan has the most points very, very early on in the year on the U17 team...*checks out*.

You're clearly applying this to Galvas...
Yes and so ? I don't have time to watch all the players. I will never be one of those site liars who claim to have seen it all.

Skahan has a monstrous physique and emerges as the USDP's leading scorer this season. Galvas is 1 point in 6 games with the 4th worst +/- in a low level league with a very average size.

It's less stupid than relying on the highlights of a player against Slovakia and immediately saying: potential top 10 while besides all the statistical elements make this hypothesis very skeptical.

Any discussion is pointless here.
You write about someone you've never seen play in your life, that he doesn't look like a 1st rounder. Ridiculous, if you at least lied about seeing him, you wouldn't be completely ridiculous:laugh:
I simply ask you to ask yourself the following question: are you sure you correctly assess the level of the player ?

We'll talk about it in a year and a half. I will post comments. I will not forget.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize. If you're wrong, I'll ask you to apologize.

• Haha
Reactions: Voodoozz

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yes and so ? I don't have time to watch all the players. I will never be one of those site liars who claim to have seen it all.

Skahan has a monstrous physique and emerges as the USDP's leading scorer this season. Galvas is 1 point in 6 games with the 4th worst +/- in a low level league with a very average size.

It's less stupid than relying on the highlights of a player against Slovakia and immediately saying: potential top 10 while besides all the statistical elements make this hypothesis very skeptical.

I simply ask you to ask yourself the following question: are you sure you correctly assess the level of the player ?

We'll talk about it in a year and a half. I will post comments. I will not forget.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't know Tomas Galvas from Adam. But I suspect firsthand-accounts and a more nuanced understanding of a player's team situation should play a large role in the analysis. I appreciate statistical overviews and for very young prospects it is often our first introduction to a player's potential and as a player to watch - for example, Badinka killing Finnish U-20 is very impressive and makes him one to watch further. Skahan's good start with the U17 may mean, long-term, that he simply has surpassed some of his peers (although it seems incredibly early to start saying he is a top 10 level talent).

But this should be balanced with first-hand reports from credible viewers - don't you think for example, that with multiple, multiple Czech hockey followers being excited about what they have seen firsthand with Galvas - and not posters known for "pumping tires" on their national team prospects - that maybe, just maybe you should balance your surface level statistical views with their thoughts? Do you not acknowledge that a junior team situation or non stats-based attributes like composure, mobility and hockey sense are exceptionally important when judging the performance and projection of a player?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I think you called me a liar above:help::laugh: He can assure you that I have seen all the matches that were available on the net. And I think that all of them were available, except for the last tournament, as I have already repeated several times.
You're arguing here and you haven't seen a single second of those matches. I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how individual players will develop. But I know what I've seen SO FAR.
And I'm sorry, I certainly won't apologize to you, even if you were right in the end. You can't really guess a player's development from statistics alone.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
I think you called me a liar above:help::laugh: He can assure you that I have seen all the matches that were available on the net. And I think that all of them were available, except for the last tournament, as I have already repeated several times.
You're arguing here and you haven't seen a single second of those matches. I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how individual players will develop. But I know what I've seen SO FAR.
And I'm sorry, I certainly won't apologize to you, even if you were right in the end. You can't really guess a player's development from statistics alone.
I don't want to get into this debate any longer.

You sold me this player as a future 1st round NHL 2024, I even read potential top 10.

I find that given the career profile, I don't trust your viewing.

This is Badinka's topic and his career is much more promising. And not sure that's enough to be among the 10 defenders who will be selected in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad