RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I realize that yes... thanks for the sarcasm too

For the most part, MANY of people on here watch a few youtube clips and also their hatred for rival teams affect their thoughts on players... its been going on for years in here.

All im saying is when outlandish comparisons happen on here, its extremely easy to tell who hasnt really seen players play.

People sure think it is easy to tell. And then level accusations at others who actually have watched more juniors than they have.

I'm a big fan of this player but he's been divisive long before the Sens came into the picture. The Sens aren't why he was ranked anywhere from #3 to #33? People have different opinions after watching the same thing.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
People sure think it is easy to tell. And then level accusations at others who actually have watched more juniors than they have.

I'm a big fan of this player but he's been divisive long before the Sens came into the picture. The Sens aren't why he was ranked anywhere from #3 to #33? People have different opinions after watching the same thing.
I don't go through all the prospects threads, but it's just like with Sanderson back a couple of years where many posters were parroting that he was strictly a defensive defenseman with a low ceiling. Sometimes it's quite easy to know who has seen them and who hasn't.

Yakemchuk is another Bogosian/Gudbranson/Schenn is just like saying Celibrini is another Patrick Stefan.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Yak's defensive and skating flaws have been exaggerated. The former is what you have in a Dman who scores 70 points in a season, rather than staying back and being a sound defensive D who scores 25pts. That's nice and all, but no one drafts players like that high in the first round.

His skating looks fine to me, with maybe a few rough spots that can be ironed out. The criticisms on here making him out to be some clunky, stiff skater who has trouble moving remind me of the criticisms of Lundell in his draft year, though Lundell was actually criticized more.

His strengths, and potential strengths, far outweigh the flaws in his game. What's more, he will be a good fit for OTT. Just hope they don't rush him into the league, and make sure he gets proper coaching and advice to prepare him in the meantime.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I mean you have to be cautious to extrapolate too much from a pre-season OT goal but really - how many 18 year-old d-men try that, and how many actually make it happen?

His mix of size/raw talent is intriguing. You don't see very many "big" d-men with his hands in the big leagues. If he can get a bit faster and stay consistent in his zone he certainly looks like a top pairing star.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean you have to be cautious to extrapolate too much from a pre-season OT goal but really - how many 18 year-old d-men try that, and how many actually make it happen?

His mix of size/raw talent is intriguing. You don't see very many "big" d-men with his hands in the big leagues. If he can get a bit faster and stay consistent in his zone he certainly looks like a top pairing star.
Good thing he was all over the ice all night. 5 shots on net very noticeable. Very raw player, lots to work on but you cant teach what he has. First of all he's huge, his offensive IQ and ability to have the puck follow him around is something you simply cant teach. If he is developed properly he could be a monster, definitely needs to get stronger and work on his pivot/first step but what a unique skillset. He should definitely be going back to jr this year though, maybe he gets 9 games but they have to take their time with him so he reaches his full potential.

Last edited:

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
My first viewing impression of Yak is that he's a wild bronco that needed reigning in, to simplify his game to cut down on errors. Stop trying to play hero ball, stop doing too much. Could be a symptom of being the only on a bad junior team. Tonight shows NHL coaching with attention to detail is getting through to him. Played a simple game. Green praised him for learning and following instructions. Great debut, I wasn't expecting that. Lots of talent, great hands, cannon, size, hits, strength. Great upside. But raw.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
That goal shows the mindset I really like about Yakemchuk. If Ottawa has a half decent skating coach that clicks with him I think he has a bright future. Rough around the edges but this is why they call it drafting and development. Nature vs Nurture etc.
Shelley Kettles has been working with Sens prospects for a while now. Batherson, Tkachuk, Stone are some of her students. Tkachuk credits her with vastly improving his balance. I think she will be a great fit with Yakemchuk, who by all accounts is a coachable and motivated young man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad