RD Braden Schneider - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2020, 19th, NYR)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
In 3-4 years when Schneider is ready, Burns will be 39 and Karlsson 34. In the NHL when you draft a player, you are looking 3-5 years down the road.
I’ve sort of changed my mind on Schneider since then. He is pretty impressive at what he does and would be a good addition for the future. I would not be upset if we drafted him, although I always prefer they pick the best player on the board

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Schneider will be ready in two years. He would be a good match for a smaller, offensive minded Dman. Often you want draft picks to spend their D+1 year working on their Defense to round out their game and prepare them for pro hockey. Schneider is the opposite. I hope he uses his year in junior to spread his wings offensively, and take a few chances.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
This kid might be a faster Luke Schenn, but seems like he has similar questionable upside. Likely a #4-5 dman so probably worth an early to mid 2nd round pick but will likely get selected higher since he's so physically advanced and likely able to play in the league in 1-2 years.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I think outside of the top 5, Schneider is easily one of the most NHL ready players. His ceiling is questionable. Hes already got the size and skating ability, plus he plays a very mature defensive game where he could probably make the TOR roster in a year. His offensive game will probably be nonexistent though once he makes it to the NHL.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm kind of excited for the prospect board, now that the Leafs are back in the 1st round, the chatter on this board should surely double.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The Leafs aren't spending their highest pick in years on a dman with #4/5 potential. If anyone knows anything about Dubas, it's the furthest thing from what he's all about.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Leafs aren't spending their highest pick in years on a dman with #4/5 potential. If anyone knows anything about Dubas, it's the furthest thing from what he's all about.
The narrative that he is only a #4/5 is pretty overblown, remember most people here only read advanced stat sheets and dont think physical play matters. He could be a more physical, Methot, Pesce or Pelech type as well. Thats a heck of a player to get in the mid first round.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
he's almost 19 too.

I like the Hamonic comparable.

They also have similar stats.

Hamonic Draft year + 1 = 40 pts in 57 games
Schneider Draft year = 42 pts in 60 games.

Hamonic was one of the youngest of his draft and Schneider one of the oldest. (almost the same age between these season)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is precisely what the Leafs need. An defensive, solid, RHD with size and snarl who is likely to be ready sooner rather than later.

I'm sure others would prefer a skillsier route and get the next Liljegren or Bracco. If you continue to go that route, don't complain when you suffer the consequences.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Schneider looks like he has a good package of skills to be more than a 4-5 defenseman. Maybe a more physical Brett Pesce?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah, Carlo and Cernak are probably the most recent comparables that made it. Schneider has demonstrated more offensive talent so far but having barely watched any of their pre-draft play except Schneider’s u18 last year, I can’t add any more than that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He is precisely what the Leafs need. An defensive, solid, RHD with size and snarl who is likely to be ready sooner rather than later.

I'm sure others would prefer a skillsier route and get the next Liljegren or Bracco. If you continue to go that route, don't complain when you suffer the consequences.
Why not say the next Sandin or Robertson? The guys actually drafted by Dubas? Oh, because it would completely defeat your argument

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Or the next Sandin/Robertson?

In fact, I would argue the defenceman Toronto would most covet from your very team isn't the one of the 3 you that were drafted top 10, it's the guy that was taken in the 150 range.

It's so much more complicated than just saying "he plays the style you need so take him". Maybe in 3 years when he's ready, we won't need more dmen of that ilk.

Also, "the next Liljegren", is that a shot at Lilly? I don't love the player but he's a kid still and could very well end up being a good NHL'er. Bracco was drafted way later in the draft.

The more I think about your post the less it make sense to be honest.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
This guy is far and away the most polarizing player thats been discussed in the Leafs Entry Draft Discussion thread AINEC.

Seen him be compared to Brent Seabrook, Martin Marincin and everything in-between :laugh:

Personally I would be fine and dandy taking him as he seems to check off alot of boxes for the Leafs but won't be heartbroken if we decide to go another direction as well either.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think outside of the top 5, Schneider is easily one of the most NHL ready players. His ceiling is questionable. Hes already got the size and skating ability, plus he plays a very mature defensive game where he could probably make the TOR roster in a year. His offensive game will probably be nonexistent though once he makes it to the NHL.

that last sentence is exactly why I would not rush him. Let him develop his offense in CHL & AHL and come to the NHL as a more well-rounded defender.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This guy is far and away the most polarizing player thats been discussed in the Leafs Entry Draft Discussion thread AINEC.

Seen him be compared to Brent Seabrook, Martin Marincin and everything in-between :laugh:

Personally I would be fine and dandy taking him as he seems to check off alot of boxes for the Leafs but won't be heartbroken if we decide to go another direction as well either.

Seems like the Player Type and Origin are scaring people off more than anything. The narrative that's being built is reminiscent of the Anti-Luke Schenn argument more than what seemed to have been published about the player before he appeared on the Leafs Nation radar.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad