RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I wouldn’t expect Red Wings fans know anything about playoff hockey anyway.

Don’t worry, next year is your year buddy!

Detroit already have a good #1PP option in Seider. If that’s what Sandin Pellika needs to be successful in the NHL, them he’s going to have trouble getting that ice in Detroit.

I think he plays games in the NHL, but I don’t expect him to be a high impact player, I think he looks something like Oliver Kylington once he makes the NHL.

The Wings have won more Cups in my life than most fans will see in their entire lives and I'm not over 35.

Pretty sure you're just trolling but I'll respond anyway. Seider is an alright PP option. His lack of a great shot or great skating means he can only do so much though. He is good at keeping the puck in and making the right pass down to a forward. We could certainly upgrade on him there though. Regardless, we don't always load up one unit. I think we'll see ASP take the "first" unit and Seider the other eventually.

Either way, he won't be fighting Makar for PP time and there are two units. There is certainly a chance he doesn't become a high impact player or even an nhl player at all. Always that chance with prospects. But looking at his body of work so far, you'd have to be a troll or ignorant to not be impressed. Just a really bad post all around but I suppose it's one more poster I can scroll over now.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
The Wings have won more Cups in my life than most fans will see in their entire lives and I'm not over 35.

Pretty sure you're just trolling but I'll respond anyway. Seider is an alright PP option. His lack of a great shot or great skating means he can only do so much though. He is good at keeping the puck in and making the right pass down to a forward. We could certainly upgrade on him there though. Regardless, we don't always load up one unit. I think we'll see ASP take the "first" unit and Seider the other eventually.

Either way, he won't be fighting Makar for PP time and there are two units. There is certainly a chance he doesn't become a high impact player or even an nhl player at all. Always that chance with prospects. But looking at his body of work so far, you'd have to be a troll or ignorant to not be impressed. Just a really bad post all around but I suppose it's one more poster I can scroll over now.
Very good post. Realistic as well.

The thing is, some posters insist on being black or white. Then one can only be either elite or otherwise he's a farmer.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

I’m not impressed with most any small players, especially defenders. You have to be truly special like a Bedard or a Quinn Hughes for me to give you your flowers as a small player. All due respect, but the 17th pick in 2023 isn’t special.

I see another Erik Brannstrom/Victor Soderstrom/Adam Boqvist/Niks Lundqvist/Oliver Kylington.

I will happily say I’m wrong if I am, but the direction the NHL is going with size, it doesn’t bode well for Sandin-Pelika.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I’m not impressed with most any small players, especially defenders. You have to be truly special like a Bedard or a Quinn Hughes for me to give you your flowers as a small player. All due respect, but the 17th pick in 2023 isn’t special.

I see another Erik Brannstrom/Victor Soderstrom/Adam Boqvist/Niks Lundqvist/Oliver Kylington.

I will happily say I’m wrong if I am, but the direction the NHL is going with size, it doesn’t bode well for Sandin-Pelika.
Yeah, Bratt, Lehkonen, Caufield, Hughes brothers, Fox and Makar are HUUUUGE. Lol! You are so full of yourself.

Google Red Wings history and who sUndin was next time.
Do you have some more made up truths ? :DD

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah, Bratt, Lehkonen, Caufield, Hughes brothers, Fox and Makar are HUUUUGE. Lol! You are so full of yourself.

Google Red Wings history and who sUndin was next time.
Newsflash: Sandin Pelika isn’t on the same level as Fox, either Hughes brother, or Makar LOL.

If that’s what you expect out of him you’re out to lunch buddy. LMAOOOOOOOO

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Newsflash: Sandin Pelika isn’t on the same level as Fox, either Hughes brother, or Makar LOL.

If that’s what you expect out of him you’re out to lunch buddy. LMAOOOOOOOO
You mentioning size and nationality just to convince yourself and others that you have a point lol! He has just as much in common with Fox and Makar as he has in common with Kylington and those you've mentioned lol! Same size, right handed and same strengths.
Guess again, kid.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You mentioning size and nationality just to convince yourself and others that you have a point lol! He has just as much in common with Fox and Makar as he has in common with Kylington and those you've mentioned lol! Same size, right handed and same strengths.
Guess again, kid.
i’ve seen it all. This bloke thinks Sandin Pelikka is going to be the next Makar/Fox.

Wow.

Just WOW.

I knew you were delusional, but this much is insane to me.

He is nowhere near that level.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
i’ve seen it all. This bloke thinks Sandin Pelikka is going to be the next Makar/Fox.

Wow.

Just WOW.

I knew you were delusional, but this much is insane to me.

He is nowhere near that level.
No, again. You are now putting words in my mouth because you are recognizing your own bs.
I clearly wrote he has just as much in common with those players you mentioned as he has with them.

Bothered to check Fox career? Third round pick? Very impressive performances and numbers in both of his WJC's right? Lol!

My point in writing and answering you is because I'm trying to teach you insight of how simple minded conclusions you very often write just because you want to "sell" your opinion and try to show that you are more right than others. When someone questions you we get this, and it's nothing new. You create assumptions and put words in other mouths. Old tactics. Come up with something new.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This thread probably needs a warning. If anyone even remotely suggests ASP is not going to be a Norris winner.. you will get lampooned.

I admit I didn't know much about him in preseason but I kept reading (in preseason) that he's already better than Hronek. I honestly thought he was already in the NHL and playing 24 a night.
Then I looked into him...he's a great prospect. But he's probably 3 years away from being impactful. Maybe in the NHL next year but I am skeptical. I'll be surprised if he gets in all 82 regular season games.

My guess is no NHL next year
Then AHL/NHL rookie mix
Then a good sophomore year on, what I hope, is a playoff quality wings team.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No, again. You are now putting words in my mouth because you are recognizing your own bs.
I clearly wrote he has just as much in common with those players you mentioned as he has with them.

My point in writing and answering you is because I'm trying to teach you insight of how simple minded conclusions you very often write just because you want to "sell" your opinion and try to show that you are more right than others. When someone questions you we get this, and it's nothing new. You create assumption and put words in other mouths. Old tactics. Come up with something new.
How far from NHL regular in top 4 do you think he is?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
How far from NHL regular in top 4 do you think he is?
It is impossible to say. Just like it was with Fox and is with Jiricek. Depends on so many factors that simple minded people dont wanna recognize.
Factors like: Franchise, coach, teammates, opportunities, patience etc. At least 15 different and crucial factors are relevant in a young players success in this league.

I mean Maccelli was always talented but did anyone believe he would be Arizonas third best player this year when he got drafted? What about Fox? Not every player is a McDavid or MacKinnon.
Also, let's not forget how questioned the Seider pick was by at least a big minority in here as well.

The problem is, this guy think he always knows it all. No one of us does. And... Yeah, ASP has in fact had a great season and no one can deny that.
Therefor it's laughable to claim he would be another overhyped Swedish D like LeNarci***, (yeah I said it) claims. But he's known for his black or white perspective by now. He loves hot takes and being controversial more than anything else. That's my honest impression so far, yes.

Lastly, he claims someone is on that or this level. Why and how? What specific in his game makes you doubt him so much? I mean do the numbers lie? His size (that actually seems to be on pair with the best offensive D's in todays NHL- therefor invalid point), his actual numbers, or the eye test?
I do think "Leyeahs" takes are mostly written to create controversy and debates than anything else. Because in this case, it's very difficult to claim he's right with his comparisons when ASP performances and numbers are unmatched, so far at least. Yet, this guy claims that he has more in common with those players he has mentioned. And that is nothing but a lie at this very moment.

Last edited:

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
This thread probably needs a warning. If anyone even remotely suggests ASP is not going to be a Norris winner.. you will get lampooned.

I admit I didn't know much about him in preseason but I kept reading (in preseason) that he's already better than Hronek. I honestly thought he was already in the NHL and playing 24 a night.
Then I looked into him...he's a great prospect. But he's probably 3 years away from being impactful. Maybe in the NHL next year but I am skeptical. I'll be surprised if he gets in all 82 regular season games.

Then AHL/NHL rookie mix

Well i don't think arguing against ASP=Nils Lundkvist means arguing he is shoe in for Norris. You seem not to like Red Wings anymore after they got rid of those useless czechs.

Given how Yzerman treats prospects ASp won't make the team until at least 26/27

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Then AHL/NHL rookie mix

Not sure where you were hearing that. He didn't even come over to NA for the preseason.

95% of Wings fans agree exactly with your trajectory

Can we get over all the hyperbole in this thread please?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I mean the argument doesn’t even make sense. The reason guys like Makar, Fox, Hughes, etc and to a lesser level Barrie, Krug, Ghost etc have been successful dmen in the last 10 years is because the NHL has gone away from the archetype of the big bruiser defenseman and towards speed and skill throughout the lineup, including on D. ASPs game fits the modern NHL much more than it did 5-6 years ago. Jsut a strange argument all around.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Can you point towards a single post that does even remotely what you are referencing? You have this trend of coming into threads with hyperbole, unable to actually quote anything that proves your point.

Few, if any, Red Wings fans believe ASP is in the NHL next season. Even if he was coming over to NA, which seems unlikely, he'd be in the AHL. So he's a minimum of 1 season away from sniffing NHL ice, most likely 2.
No one is penciling him in as a Norris winner. And there's plenty of realistic discussion about him. Great offensive tools, with the overall package still in question.

What we don't need to do is to downplay his potential by throwing out completely random player comparison (Oliver Kylington? Really?) or by having the bar for success in the SHL be completely crushing every record in existance.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I mean the argument doesn’t even make sense. The reason guys like Makar, Fox, Hughes, etc and to a lesser level Barrie, Krug, Ghost etc have been successful dmen in the last 10 years is because the NHL has gone away from the archetype of the big bruiser defenseman and towards speed and skill throughout the lineup, including on D. ASPs game fits the modern NHL much more than it did 5-6 years ago. Jsut a strange argument all around.
Great post and well formulated. Fully agreed!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

This is kinda funny considering, if anything, the draft is shifting back toward teams not passing on players because of lack of size.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

What a weird collection of defensemen. They're Swedish, I guess.

Boqvist has had his career ruined so far by injuries.

Söderström is close to league average height, and at average weight.

Brännström has great analytics but only seems to step it up when given a bigger role (which in Ottawa has pretty much only been due to injuries).

Kylington was on his way to cement himself as a top 4 D until he had to take a break for his mental health, getting back on track now, though. Good for him.

Lundkvist was a Rangers prospect.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Wonder if the plan has changed on him staying in Sweden.

Both Edvinsson and Wallinder came to GR after signing their ELCs. Granted, Ed, like ASP, signed after his D+1 season.
He said he's staying in the SHL one more year but will attend the Red Wings development camp. He quotes staying ”feels right”, and adds:

”Signing [the ELC] is a step on the way. The big dream is getting closer and closer.”

This seems like a win-win for everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad