Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Then it has to be 8.I want his entire career lol. Guy is going to win a Norris one day.

Why does everyone's deal have to be less than Larkin's? In the open market Seider is clearly more value than him...
respectfully i think its a smart way to control the salary cap to have have team leader/best player have highest aav until a clearly better player comes along, could (and almost certainly will) be seider 1 day but hasnt proven it yet IMO

edit: also in a few yrs assumin cap rises obv. team b more flexible. no 1 expecting a player of similar calibur of larkin to take 8x8.7 4 yrs from now

Reactions: FMichael

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm sure it'll be an outright disaster if Seider gets 7 years instead of 8 to make the cap work.

Really. I'm totally beside myself now. I night need a paper bag to avoid hyperventilating.

Grab the pitchforks because... reasons?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Then it has to be 8.I want his entire career lol. Guy is going to win a Norris one day.

Why does everyone's deal have to be less than Larkin's? In the open market Seider is clearly more value than him...
I guess it would be a matter of opinion…Who’s currently the best player on this team, who has the longest tenure, and who wears the ‘C’.

For what it’s worth - I too feel nobody should make more than Larkin, but I’ve been wrong before so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would think a part of this has more to do with staggering these deals into different off-seasons.

If Mo is in for 6 years, that puts a five year timer on the plan. You either have gotten good enough that he is signing on July 1 after the 5th year, or you have dealt him at the draft.

I am still hopeful they can get 8, but if you do what you should do between here and the end of these contracts on the big 3 it really shouldn't be that disadvantageous at the end of this. He also likely actually has the lower growth number.

If it is down to paying him 9.1 over 8 and finding a way to get some of the salary off, heck LTIR Husso justifying taking his groin slow then Yzerman should be able to find a way. The Faber contract has hurt them a little here. I thought they would be able to argue some of the circumstances around it like they did with Stutzle and Ottawa but maybe that isn't meant to be.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Will have to see, might be a Claude leak to get Yzerman to up the offer.

I think the not make more than Larkin was valid for Raymond. But he's not Nick Lidstrom where it was like yeah ok, and big right handed defense get paid. Especially the one who holds your defense up for three seasons now.

Eventually someone will get more than Larkin, more so if you actually want to sign a big free agent such as Rantanen

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Honestly, I’d almost rather give them offsetting years for deals, so I’m not having to negotiate multiple huge deals at the same time
IMO 7 yrs b fine. same as larkin i know but larkin will be old by then. If same as raymond could b problem if they both become big stars, even if they don't.

What am I missing here that shorter term will somehow help get the AAV under Larkin's?

Wouldn't shorter term mean higher AAV?

someone learn me what's what here because I'm at work and only half paying attention.

Also, as if I needed one more f-ing reason to hate Claude Lemieux.
shorter term = lower aav BC buying UFA yrs. makes sense for a player to want less yrs n take less money to hit market quicker when cap will b higher n therefore aavs will b higher.

EDIT: also at that time he will be UFA so give him a lot more leverage to make more

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What am I missing here that shorter term will somehow help get the AAV under Larkin's?

someone learn me what's what here because I'm at work and only half paying attention.

It depends on whether you're just operating in years of unrestricted free agency or if you're also buying restricted free agent years. The more RFA years you include (especially in a player's prime) the more expensive it gets to lock them up.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Honestly, I’d almost rather give them offsetting years for deals, so I’m not having to negotiate multiple huge deals at the same time

Probably smart if anything especially if it's 7 years and you get him for lower than Larkin's numbers which seems to be important for the organisation.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

I might be way off here thinking this, but might it be a 6, or 7 year deal just to be ‘different’ from RayRay?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
IMO 7 yrs b fine. same as larkin i know but larkin will be old by then. If same as raymond could b problem if they both become big stars, even if they don't.

shorter term = lower aav BC buying UFA yrs. makes sense for a player to want less yrs n take less money to hit market quicker when cap will b higher n therefore aavs will b higher.

EDIT: also at that time he will be UFA so give him a lot more leverage to make to make more.

Right. Thank you. I was forgetting the RFA/UFA angle of it all.

Reactions: sepster

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

Because he's the captain. No one makes more than the captain. Honestly if you can make it work it's a very good cap management strategy to employ

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Because he's the captain. No one makes more than the captain. Honestly if you can make it work it's a very good cap management strategy to employ
But since the implementation of the salary cap, when has Yzerman set that precedence? Vasy made a lot more than Stamkos when the Lighting were winning Cups. Shoot, when the Wings last won in 2008, Datsyuk was making more than double what Zetterberg made.

I understand doing whatever you can for cost control. But earning the C and earning the highest salary are two different things.

What works in Yzerman's favor is that Raymond and Seider came up for renewal just before they could argue for already being better than Larkin. (Maybe Seider and/or his agent are pushing for a slightly shorter deal with that in mind, to have Mo as captain by the time his next contract arrives and to set the bar much higher then.)

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
But since the implementation of the salary cap, when has Yzerman set that precedence? Vasy made a lot more than Stamkos when the Lighting were winning Cups. Shoot, when the Wings last won in 2008, Datsyuk was making more than double what Zetterberg made.

I understand doing whatever you can for cost control. But earning the C and earning the highest salary are two different things.

What works in Yzerman's favor is that Raymond and Seider came up for renewal just before they could argue for already being better than Larkin. (Maybe Seider and/or his agent are pushing for a slightly shorter deal with that in mind, to have Mo as captain by the time his next contract arrives and to set the bar much higher then.)

No one was making more than Stamkos while Steve was there. Yzerman has no control over contracts in 08 so that's a weird argument

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No one was making more than Stamkos while Steve was there. Yzerman has no control over contracts in 08 so that's a weird argument
Odd distinction to differentiate between making and signing. If Trotz leaves Nashville during the season, Saros' contract is still his doing even though it doesn't activate until next season. Same thing with Kucherov's deal. Yzerman signed him for $1M more than Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad