Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He provided status in June. Not crazy for him to provide further updates given we’re a week away from camp.
"We're talking with both player's agents and working toward an agreement."

Ground breaking. Thank God he made this hypothetical statement. I thought they had blocked each other's numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: AtlantaHotWings

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
ShanahanMan feels like he is owed something.
Supporters who buy season tickets year after year, despite the awfulness of the last near decade, are owed something.

Posters who merely flood chat sites with their myopic, biased assumptions are not.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The problem is that there isn't enough cap space to sign those 2 to long term deals and Berggren without moving players.
All cause of the horrendous UFA signings in Holl. Copp, Chiarot etc.
Those 3 costs around 18 million as there is no way you can argue Seider lower than 8.5 after the faber signing and no way you can argue Raymond lower than 8 after the Jarvis signing.

And you do not want to piss off your cornerstone players of the future. Boston did that with Swayman which isn't working out great.

Yes and no. The team is at 17.6 Cap Space however that number includes 7 Dman but excludes Seider.

William Lagesson is included in that number. He will be assigned to the AHL adding 775K in cap space.

Similarly Husso could be waived which would add another 775k of cap space.

Those two moves would give the Red Wings 19.1 Million in cap space or enough to give Raymond and Seider 9 Million each and still have 1.1M for Berggren.

I don't think Raymond and Seider will get 9 Million each (maybe Seider?) but the point is there is still plenty of flexibility to get them on long term deals.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Husso spent most of the year injured and played poorly. Lyon proved he can't handle the workload. Campbell was insurance for the AHL. Steve's just hedging his bets
Lyon is the only reason this team had a shot at a wildcard spot…On any given night the 5 clowns in front of him were screwing up and Uncle Fester behind the bench just stared.

I think he indicated that he would. He is not sending Talbot, Husso, or Lyon down.
If anyone of those 3 needs to be sent down - it’s gotta be Husso.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Lyon is the only reason this team had a shot at a wildcard spot…On any given night the 5 clowns in front of him were screwing up and Uncle Fester behind the bench just stared.

Husso makes the most sense. Lyon is more reliable and Talbot was just signed. Husso is waiver proof so no risk of losing him if for whatever reason you want him still in the system post waiver.

What doesn't become clear is where do you have Campbell and Husso since Cossa needs the bulk of Grand Rapids starts to develop.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Husso makes the most sense. Lyon is more reliable and Talbot was just signed. Husso is waiver proof so no risk of losing him if for whatever reason you want him still in the system post waiver.

What doesn't become clear is where do you have Campbell and Husso since Cossa needs the bulk of Grand Rapids starts to develop.
Injuries will likely determine things…

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

Absolutely I agree he's the reason we almost made the playoffs but he definitely had trouble with the workload

Absolutely I agree he's the reason we almost made the playoffs but he definitely had trouble with the workload

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Dude was definitely overworked, but played on like a true pro…Gotta be honest in saying that if there’s anyone who deserves an extension - it’s Lyon.

Edit - for me it wasn’t the overall number of games played (although more than what he’s accustomed to), but the consecutive games that he started seemed to approach Brodeur like numbers…Or am I crazy in thinking that?

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
They had no negotiations all spring and summer - why start now? Hang tough SY...the numbers will only get better as time goes on

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
$8.5M is optimistic for Seider. I guess maybe that's the hang-up and he could wear Seider down to that, but realistically that's the deal Sanderson (Inflated) and Faber got. And both of them got it for only one year of results.
Adjust as needed. Maybe it's 8.7 for Seider, 7.9 for Raymond and 1.0 for Berggren. That's not even getting into the possible rabbit hole of doing some kind of deferred salary deal.
Point is they can realistically get it done with what's available.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Dude was definitely overworked, but played on like a true pro…Gotta be honest in saying that if there’s anyone who deserves an extension - it’s Lyon.

Edit - for me it wasn’t the overall number of games played (although more than what he’s accustomed to), but the consecutive games that he started seemed to approach Brodeur like numbers…Or am I crazy in thinking that?
I am too lazy today to go dig it out, but from memory, Lyon didn't play a game until mid-November or so, that would put him at 43 starts out of (I am guessing) 64 possible games left, over the range of a full season, equal to around around 55 starts. The schedule last year was pretty condensed due to the Sweden excursion, so he did see a fairly heavy workload.

The schedule this year (I looked a few weeks back) doesn't seem as condensed (not too many 3 games in 4 nights etc) so hopefully, more practice time for the team this year through the season.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I am too lazy today to go dig it out, but from memory, Lyon didn't play a game until mid-November or so, that would put him at 43 starts out of (I am guessing) 64 possible games left, over the range of a full season, equal to around around 55 starts. The schedule last year was pretty condensed due to the Sweden excursion, so he did see a fairly heavy workload.

The schedule this year (I looked a few weeks back) doesn't seem as condensed (not too many 3 games in 4 nights etc) so hopefully, more practice time for the team this year through the season.
Yeah he played a majority of his games in the 2nd half and didn't get in at all until Nov 17th.

Of the last 45 games (2024) in the season he started 35 of them. That is a 63 game pace if applied to an 82 game season, so that is a lot of hockey for a guy that never played more than 15 games prior.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah he played a majority of his games in the 2nd half and didn't get in at all until Nov 17th.

Of the last 45 games (2024) in the season he started 35 of them. That is a 63 game pace if applied to an 82 game season, so that is a lot of hockey for a guy that never played more than 15 games prior.
AHL and playoff games exist. '20 and '21 are the only seasons that he played fewer than 40 games since turning pro.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Do we panic yet?
1726071355297.png

Oh wait. Haven't missed practice. We talkin bout the possibility of maybe missing practice a week or so from now.

No, we don't panic yet.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
They had no negotiations all spring and summer - why start now? Hang tough SY...the numbers will only get better as time goes on

Because RFA deals with a shit load of comparables floated out there? It ends up being a game of chicken. The negotiations move forward when you hit a milestone where something has to break (training camp, the season, etc.). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they've had the overall framework of a deal perculating for months and the hold up is just when Claude and Raymond's agent say "ok, we're not getting any better of a deal, we'll sign".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad