Ray Bourque vs Nik Lidstrom all time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
We saw what Lemieux did do with much better linemates and PP mates, and we did not see him suddenly spike up in points.

And how many games did he play then? And what players did he lose from his team that might have had an impact on that? (Coffey)

This is why in the examples I gave, I picked players that changed teams in the same year.

So I am comparing that players performance on 2 different teams at the same age, same season, same rules etc. instead of two different teams lineups with a player who was a different age.

I don't see how you can argue with the fact that there was some wild variations.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
And how many games did he play then? And what players did he lose from his team that might have had an impact on that? (Coffey)

This is why in the examples I gave, I picked players that changed teams in the same year.

So I am comparing that players performance on 2 different teams at the same age, same season, same rules etc. instead of two different teams lineups with a player who was a different age.

I don't see how you can argue with the fact that there was some wild variations.
I have honestly done this topic to death as well and really don't feel like arguing it anymore. It's my opinion. Lemieux would do what Lemieux did regardless of who he played with

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Here are some examples at least:

John LeClair
94 95 Montreal 9GP 1G 4A 5PTS .55PPG
94-95 Philly 37GP 25G 24A 49PTS 1.32 PPG

Joe Thornton
05-06 Boston 23GP 9G 24A 33PTS 1.43PPG
05-06 SJ 58GP 20G 72A 92PTS 1.58PPG

Ray Bourque
99-00 Boston 65GP 10G 28A 38PTS .58PPG
99-00 Avs 15GP 8G 6A 14PTS 1.0 PPG

Theo Fleury
98-99 Flames 60GP 30G 39A 69PTS 1.15PPG
98-99 Avs 15GP 10G 14A 24PTS 1.67PPG

Ilya Kovalchuk
2009-10 Thrashers 49GP 31G 27A 58PTS 1.18PPG
2009-10 Devils 27GP 10G 17A 27PTS 1.0 PPG

Mark Recchi
94-95 Flyers 5 PTS/10GP = .5PPG
94-95 Habs 43PTS/39GP = 1.10 PPG

05-06 Pens 57PTS/63GP = .90PPG
05-06 Hurricane 7 PTS / 20GP = .35PPG

07-08 Pens 8/19 = .42PPG
07-08 Thrashers 40/53 = .75 PPG

08-09 Bolts 45/62 = .72PPG
08-09 Bruins 16/18 = .89 PPG

These are just guys I remember playing part seasons off the top off my head so not exhaustive by any means.. but obviously, no, teams don't have any effect on a players performance and the average of the league can predict this perfectly.. somehow.

:sarcasm:

Well then - case closed!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously buddy, do you think these tiny sample sizes mean anything at all? In the few cases where a demonstrable rise in production actually exists, it can easily be attributed to an elite linemate and not a "high scoring team".

Last edited by a moderator:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The examples though involve sample sizes that are simply too small to make any definitive conclusions. A lot of them played 10-15 games with one team. One or two big games, or a cold streak during that time can considerably affect the numbers. I'm sure if you looked through the game logs of many of the top players over the years you will find similar instances of 10-20 game periods within a season where a player considerably underperformed or overperformed in relation to the rest of his season. Hell, just this past season, people were wondering what was wrong with Crosby for the first 1/4, as he was kicking along with only a PPG average, before he turned it up and ended up finishing 2nd in league scoring.

While it's the same player, same age, same season, same league, there's still many other factors to consider, such as how the player fits into his new team, if he's in the same role, if he was disgruntled with his former team, if he turns it up after going to a new team to try to prove himself, etc.

This is also why I don't think any legitimate conclusions can really be made about the elite linemates debate. Yes, there are many examples of it not mattering, but there's so many other factors involved, that we really can't say for sure. I do believe that some people overrate the amount that great linemates and great teams can affect a players' totals. I do think it is a factor, one of many to consider, and it depends a lot on the type of player, the linemates in question. Some excel being the best player, some excel with great linemates, etc.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Well then - case closed!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously buddy, do you think these tiny sample sizes mean anything at all? In the few cases where a demonstrable rise in production actually exists, it can easily be attributed to an elite linemate and not a "high scoring team".

I already said the sample was just off the top of my head but I chose them because they were same season and the only thing changing for the player was his team.

If your theory is correct and players teams don't affect their performance.. why did it affect those guys?

And if your argument is ice time, systems, teammates or anything else it means that their production (not necessarily how they are performing but rather the success rate) is at least *somewhat* dependent on their team. And just so we're clear.. an elite linemate is part of team, right?

Which you contradicted yourself about earlier already but yeah.. I guess I'm way off base.

And if you guys honestly think that Wayne Gretzky scores 200+ points on the 84 Devils instead of the 84 Oilers.. I just don't know what to say. I could give you 150 or 160.. but no way he scores 200 points on that dreadful team.

Last edited by a moderator:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The examples though involve sample sizes that are simply too small to make any definitive conclusions. A lot of them played 10-15 games with one team. One or two big games, or a cold streak during that time can considerably affect the numbers. I'm sure if you looked through the game logs of many of the top players over the years you will find similar instances of 10-20 game periods within a season where a player considerably underperformed or overperformed in relation to the rest of his season. Hell, just this past season, people were wondering what was wrong with Crosby for the first 1/4, as he was kicking along with only a PPG average, before he turned it up and ended up finishing 2nd in league scoring.

While it's the same player, same age, same season, same league, there's still many other factors to consider, such as how the player fits into his new team, if he's in the same role, if he was disgruntled with his former team, if he turns it up after going to a new team to try to prove himself, etc.

This is also why I don't think any legitimate conclusions can really be made about the elite linemates debate. Yes, there are many examples of it not mattering, but there's so many other factors involved, that we really can't say for sure. I do believe that some people overrate the amount that great linemates and great teams can affect a players' totals. I do think it is a factor, one of many to consider, and it depends a lot on the type of player, the linemates in question. Some excel being the best player, some excel with great linemates, etc.

Obviously you're right and I said right up front it was anything but an exhaustive list.

I just honestly don't see how people can say teams don't affect production.

It may affect star players less than role players but I'm quite certain a team that is better offensively generally scores more = more production.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Obviously you're right and I said right up front it was anything but an exhaustive list.

I just honestly don't see how people can say teams don't affect production.

It may affect star players less than role players but I'm quite certain a team that is better offensively generally scores more = more production.

Oh, I definitely think that teams affect production. From the coaching, to the system, to ice time, to linemates, powerplay linemates, how often a team spends on special teams, the players' role on special teams, whether they face top checkers or scorers, the transition ability of the defense, etc, etc, etc.

While I keep hearing that it is "proven" that great players produce regardless of team and linemates, I agree that examples of the same player over different different seasons at different ages, with teammates of different ages, or sometimes different teammates, different coaches, do not constitute "proof". While it is solid evidence for suggesting that they will be great players regardless, unless you can plop on player from a specific season onto another team without changing anything else, we just can't know for sure. While we can say, well Lemieux had his best season of 199 points with Bob Errey and Rob Brown, and didn't get close to that total with better linemates, perhaps Lemieux was actually that much better that year than he was after, everything went right for him, and if he was playing with Stevens and Jagr, he would have scored 210-220. We simply don't know.

However, I don't think it's a simple as saying that a better team, or better linemates means higher production. As some have stated, some players thrive while being the go-to guy, with prime icetime in all situations. Going back to Lemieux, perhaps the fact that he was on a great team, with crappy linemates caused him to try to do everything himself and dominate the puck, whereas when he had a great team and linemates, he was more content to let the other guys make more plays, and pick his spots more.

I just think there's too many factors to really say what someone would have done on this team or that team, or in one era or another, that it's basically useless other that as a fun exercise. I think in comparing players we can only really look at what they did and in what context.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If your theory is correct and players teams don't affect their performance.. why did it affect those guys?

Who says that it did? It's too small a sample size to conclude anything. A statistician would probably assign very little confidence in those results.

Teams don't affect it just by being a high scoring team. Better linemates can make a difference for the Mark Recchis and John LeClairs of the world. If they go to another team and get to play with a lindros, they will get better - it doesn't matter if that team is high scoring or low scoring!

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I already said the sample was just off the top of my head but I chose them because they were same season and the only thing changing for the player was his team.

And if your argument is ice time, systems, teammates or anything else it means that their production (not necessarily how they are performing but rather the success rate) is at least *somewhat* dependent on their team. And just so we're clear.. an elite linemate is part of team, right?

Which you contradicted yourself about earlier already but yeah.. I guess I'm way off base.

And if you guys honestly think that Wayne Gretzky scores 200+ points on the 84 Devils instead of the 84 Oilers.. I just don't know what to say. I could give you 150 or 160.. but no way he scores 200 points on that dreadful team.
Adjusting to new coaches, team needs and systems are all pieces of the puzzle.

Who are you to say Gretzky would not be scoring in bunches had he first gone to the Devils instead of the Oilers and had decent coaching and scouting GM's who filled the teams needs? Had he gone to the Devils in the 79, many of his teammates would have learned from him, just like his Oiler teammates did, learning together their strengths and weaknesses and improving all the while, while the GM and Coach adjusted and worked with what they had all the while, building on their strengths and filling the holes that were their weaknesses. And by the time 1984 came around it would have been a completely different team. You have no idea how much a player like Gretzky builds a teammates confidence and swagger, and just how much they learn from each other and a good coach.

The devils/Rockies had terrible revolving door coaching for years, as well as continually changing teammates and no superstar like Lemieux or Gretzky to build on. If you think a young player will learn and develop the same into the NHL by continually having different coaches and systems, as well as teammates.....who knows what John MacLean or Pat Verbeek could have become under different circumstances.

Mario Lemieux was a rather soft, lazy player in his early years in the NHL playing off only his talent and not giving it his all, and he personally references the turning point in his career as playing with Gretzky for Team Canada and learning just how hard he worked and how he demanded excellence and hard work from himself and those around him.

Gretzky jumped into the league as a 137 point 19 year old player, and you could see his confidence and abilities improve each year, as well as those around him as he learned what he could and could not do in the league, and just how far he could push it. The next year, his point total spiked to 164, despite having only rookies on his team, none of whom scored more than 75 points or 32 goals. Rookies who ended up far exceeding their expectations due largely to the fact that they were playing with and learning from the best, with coaching that allowed them to work with their strengths.

By the time Gretzky left Edmonton, the team still had the swagger, hard work ethic and everything they learned with Gretzky and the coach about their strengths and weaknesses before he left.

As stated, Jari Kurri didn't miss a beat his first season without Gretzky.
Kurri's last year with Gretzky: 43 goals, 96 points in 80 games
Kurri's first year without Gretzky: 44 goals, 102 points in 76 games.

By your logic, Kurri should have suffered a large drop since the quality of center he had had just suffered a massive hit. But he did not. in fact, he improved.

Not only that, But Messier moving up to 1st line duties 2 years after the team lost Gretzky saw his greatest season ever.
This runs contrary to your line of thinking.

At another point, Paul Coffey missed a good chunk of time, and Gretzky's numbers while he was out actually improved. Small sample size, but again, contrary to your thinking.

I also seriously doubt Jagr would have become the player he became had he not learned playing with Lemieux. In fact, Jagr personally states this.

But to say silly things like "If player A was on team X with Players B and C, he would have scored Y more points". There are too many variables. Work ethic and team play. Attitude. Ability to adapt to different systems and develop chemistry. Coaching. A GM's job is to fit all of the pieces together to build a winner. Some do it better than others. A guy Like Yzerman was expected to be the go to guy when the Wings were not such a good team, and his personal numbers were staggering. However, when he finally did get much better linemates and defenseman with transition games, his personal numbers did not skyrocket as you suggest, but his all around game got much much better, as did his willingness to play to win at the cost of his personal numbers and icetime.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's an interesting debate, because they are similar players. They were guys who, at once were regarded among the elite offensive and defensive defencemen in the league. And they did it year after year for over a decade. They could play 30 minutes a game, night after night, play top pairing minutes in all situations. (Bourque was a freak who's probably the one player I've seen who could play 60 minutes a night).

The difference, to me, is that Bourque played at a higher level than Lidstrom. Hart voting isn't the be-all and end-all for me that it is for some people. It's for the MVP, not the MOP, and Lidstrom has a miniscule shot of a good finish in Hart voting because he always played on a top team, and defencemen have a hard enough time as it is cracking the top three in Hart voting. (Note: Detroit really took the next step in 1991-92, during Lidstrom's rookie year, and they've been an elite team ever since. Hmmmmm).

But Lidstrom never played at the level of Bourque in 1987 or 1990. In 1987, Bourque came within two votes of being a unanimous Norris winner. (The guys who voted for Coffey and Howe should have had their voting privleges stripped). He finished second in Hart voting, although in 1987, there was only one logical pick for the Hart: Gretzky. In 1990, Bourque was a unanimous Norris winner. And he should have won the Hart, in a year in which there was several credible Hart candidates. (Messier, Hull, Lafontaine. Mario would have been one if he didn't lose part of the season due to his back problem).

The Lidstrom supporters will point to the 6-5 Norris edge. (Both guys had a Norris Trophy that might be viewed as mistakes by the voters. Lidstrom won it in 2007 because Pronger got hurt). Bourque's longevity is absolutely incredible, something that will never be matched. 17 straight all-star team selections? Yikes. Lidstrom had more quantity in competition for Norris nods; Bourque had more quality. (Bourque was beating Stevens, MacInnis, Coffey, Chelios and Leetch for the Norris. In Lidstrom's first three Norris years, the runner-ups included Bourque, Stevens, Chelios and MacInnis; the difference is that in those Lidstrom Norris years, Bourque, Stevens, Chelios and MacInnis were around 40, not 30).

But the bottom line is who played at a higher level? Bourque. He had two seasons that were a cut above anything from Lidstrom.

Lidstrom won Cups. And you play to win the game. That certainly helps Lidstrom's case. His legacy is certainly augmented by four rings, and by being the first European to a) Win the Conn Smythe and b) captain a team to the Cup. I've always said that the two greatest compliments you can pay a player are to be the best player on a Cup champion, and to captain a team to the Cup.

As for Bourque, what he did with those Boston teams was remarkable. Boston was never the best team in the league. They were never second best. (Please hold those 1990 President's Trophy posts; Boston would have lost quickly to any playoff team out of the Smythe Division that year). Boston's best shot to win the Cup, in 1991, went up in smoke the moment Neely was injured. Boston always had great top-end talent - Bourque and Middleton, Bourque and Neely, Bourque and Oates. But depth was their drawback, especially in the late 80s and the 1990s, when salaries escalated, but the Bruins wouldn't spend to get the depth they needed to win.

Lidstrom would not have won anything in Boston either; he would have had the same results as Bourque. A monumental playoff win over Montreal in 1988 to get to the Cup final. Win the Wales in 1990, but then get overmatched by the Smythe Division champions. (Who just happened to be a deep team with so much to prove, even though they were gunning for their fifth win in seven years). Maybe Lidstrom wouldn't have been as loyal to the Bruins as Bourque was, although I think Lidstrom would have stayed as long as he possibly could, in an effort to win a Cup for that team and that city.

Then again, we don't make evaluations on what if's, right? It's all about who you were, what you did, and how you played the game.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Who says that it did? It's too small a sample size to conclude anything. A statistician would probably assign very little confidence in those results.

Your sample sizes that "owned" me defending your position are equally small and introduce even more variables by going across years.

Teams don't affect it just by being a high scoring team. Better linemates can make a difference for the Mark Recchis and John LeClairs of the world. If they go to another team and get to play with a lindros, they will get better - it doesn't matter if that team is high scoring or low scoring!

Teams don't get to be high scoring teams just by magic.
It isn't a vacuum.

They already have players that are talented offensively or a system that stresses offense or both. So chances are when you get there there is a Lindros or a Orr or a Gretzky or a Bossy there.

So if you are player A moving from a low talent/scoring team to a high scoring team.. you're going to have more opportunities come your way from your more talented teammates and you're going to have more of your passes finished by your more talented teammates (or simply because you are ignoring defense somewhat).

And of course vice versa.. if you are going from the 84 Oilers and you're joining the 84 Devils you are going to be frustrated when your passes get bobbled and your teammates miss shots and get checked etc.

I mean really how likely is it that Gretzky would move to the Devils in 84 and score 205 points on a team that was capable of 231 goals in reality? Sure he would have bumped them up but even if he singlehandedly moved the team up to 300 goals I still have a really hard time thinking he would be in on 2/3rds of a teams offense.

Just for reference when he went from the Oilers to the Kings the Kings offense went up from 318 to 376 so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because he still had Nicholls, Robitalle, Duschene etc on the Kings and there was no one near that good on the 84 Devils. I mean this is a team whose highest goalscoring during the highest average scoring era had 23g.

Anyways I am not going to argue any longer but you both better watch it the next time you explain a player underproducing with "look what he had to work with" because I'll be waiting.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Free Agency Examples

Then where is the data? It is not "true by definition" at all! For example, if a team is really deep you get less ice time and especially PP time. How many forwards on the canadiens powerhouses over the years could have been the top dog on lesser teams? It is just as easy, if not more, to argue that it has a potentially negative impact on a player's stats.

That goes for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th-best guys, and so on. The best guys - Jagrs, Lindroses, Lemieuxs, Crosbys... they have always proven that they score regardless of team and linemates.

Very true - prime examples being Free Agents who are second line players but sign with teams that pay first line dollars and expect first line production from them. Very rarely happens. Evidenced by the Rangers - Drury, Gomez.

Bolded part is somewhat iffy. Take Crosby as an example. Yes he scores and puts up impressive numbers BUT if you look at the chances that are simply butchered by Kunitz and Guerin or the plays where Crosby has to hold the puck it is also evident that his numbers are being deflated by his linemates.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Very true - prime examples being Free Agents who are second line players but sign with teams that pay first line dollars and expect first line production from them. Very rarely happens. Evidenced by the Rangers - Drury, Gomez.

Bolded part is somewhat iffy. Take Crosby as an example. Yes he scores and puts up impressive numbers BUT if you look at the chances that are simply butchered by Kunitz and Guerin or the plays where Crosby has to hold the puck it is also evident that his numbers are being deflated by his linemates.

Crosby point is a good example of linemates deflating numbers, but that same example also reinforces Seventies point as well, which is that great players find ways to create goals and score regardless of linemates.

Most likely in reaction to understanding the limitations of his linemates, Crosby has been able to shift his game from a playmaking center who finished 2nd in the NHL in assists twice to the NHL goal leader this season.

Thus, Crosby understood that he needed to shoot more in order to create goals, and was able to shift his game from playmaking to scoring in order to create goals, which reinforces what Seventies said.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Your sample sizes that "owned" me defending your position are equally small and introduce even more variables by going across years.

Teams don't get to be high scoring teams just by magic.
It isn't a vacuum.

They already have players that are talented offensively or a system that stresses offense or both. So chances are when you get there there is a Lindros or a Orr or a Gretzky or a Bossy there.

So if you are player A moving from a low talent/scoring team to a high scoring team.. you're going to have more opportunities come your way from your more talented teammates and you're going to have more of your passes finished by your more talented teammates (or simply because you are ignoring defense somewhat).

And of course vice versa.. if you are going from the 84 Oilers and you're joining the 84 Devils you are going to be frustrated when your passes get bobbled and your teammates miss shots and get checked etc.

I mean really how likely is it that Gretzky would move to the Devils in 84 and score 205 points on a team that was capable of 231 goals in reality? Sure he would have bumped them up but even if he singlehandedly moved the team up to 300 goals I still have a really hard time thinking he would be in on 2/3rds of a teams offense.

Just for reference when he went from the Oilers to the Kings the Kings offense went up from 318 to 376 so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because he still had Nicholls, Robitalle, Duschene etc on the Kings and there was no one near that good on the 84 Devils. I mean this is a team whose highest goalscoring during the highest average scoring era had 23g.

Anyways I am not going to argue any longer but you both better watch it the next time you explain a player underproducing with "look what he had to work with" because I'll be waiting.

I covered all of this in my earlier post. Your simplistic example of just removing him from one team he helped groom into the team they were and throwing him on another that is in chaos when he gets there is completely missing the point. But you chose to simply ignore the post and all the hard points made.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Who says Bourque got more shots because he was on a lesser team? Where is the data to back up such a trend?

Just getting a shot on net is a skill in itself. People like to crticize ovechkin and say he only scores so much because he shoots so much. So why doesn't everyone else just shoot that ofter? Answer: because they can't.

Not so much that he was on a lesser team but that he played a bigger role on the team because of Boston's lack of depth, especially at D. Do you think Bourque would be taking 300 shots a year if he had Coffey, Fetisov, Murphy and Fedorov on his team? Bourque isn't creating all these shots himself. He had a large offensive load because he was the only really good defenseman on Boston for much of his career. In Lidstrom's lowest scoring seasons, he played with Mathieu Schneider and Paul Coffey.

In Bourque's first 4 seasons (Brad Park was on Boston at the time), he averaged about 236 shots per 80 games. In '83-83, Bourque's first year without Park, Bourque took 340 shots. That's a 44% increase. His shot total (per 80 games) didn't drop below 300 in any season until '97. The only other time Bourque played with a notable defenseman, he was on Colorado and he was 38-40ish. It's hard to say what would have happened if, for instance, Boston had traded for Coffey or Stevens or Housley during Bourque's prime.

I don't doubt that Bourque would have taken on a smaller role if Boston had had another star d-man or two.

Dark Shadows said:
Not only that, But Messier moving up to 1st line duties 2 years after the team lost Gretzky saw his greatest season ever.

It works similarly for forwards and defensemen. More responsibility often results in more points, or at least more recognition.

I think Lidstrom's lack of Norris competition is sometimes overstated. Lots of players who started their careers in the 80s and beyond played into their late 30s, many of them at a high level. Lidstrom is currently 40 and still playing at an elite level. MacInnis, Bourque, Chelios, Stevens, Lidstrom, Blake. If Bourque and others maintained such a high level of play at an advanced age, shouldn't that weaken the argument that Lidstrom's Norris competition was weak? It's not as though Bourque/Macinnis/Chelios were well past their primes and people were urging them to retire and they still kept up with Lidstrom. They maintained a high level of play. MacInnis had some of his best seasons in his mid-late 30s. If Bourque was still very good, how is it that Lidstrom's competition wasn't? Bourque is good. Bourque is Lidstrom's competition. Therefore Lidstrom's competition is good.

The dilution of the talent pool in the 80s also made it easier for the elite or near elite players to dominate consistently. I haven't examined the numbers closely, but it seems like, even aside from 66 and 99, the 80s had a lot of the same group of dudes finishing around the top in scoring.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
- Bourque jumped into the league and was immediately one of the top 2-3 defenders and he stayed there for the majority of his career. Lidstrom took a few years before he was worthy of getting Norris votes(No, it was not euro bias. He was just not among the best until 5-6 years into his career).

- Bourque may have fewer Norris trophies, but his competition was far greater and he has far more Norris finishes. He played during the golden age of defensemen. For every year you can pick that Lidstrom "Should have" finished higher or won the Norris, you can pick a year for Bourque

So was Bourque's competition as strong as Lidstrom's when both started out in the league? Potvin was hurt for most of Bourque's first season and Carlyle and Wilson won the Norris the next 2 seasons. I know you're a huge Bourque fan but you can't have it both ways.

Give me Lidstrom. He's got a bigger edge on Bourque defensively than people want to admit and he just might be the best shutdown defenseman ever, physical or not. Offensively they're pretty close when you factor in the eras they played in. Plus, Lidstrom's proven he's a winner and money in the playoffs time and time again.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
lidström wasn't a top 5 defenseman in his first years in the league, except his rookie season perhaps, but i guess he and mccrimmon was on rotation on the red wings with konstantinov|chiasson, and then coffey|howe|fetisov was brought in too and it probably didn't allow lidström to play those 25|30 minutes a game his doing now and did the last 10 years ...

but he was a schtud on team sweden in the 1991 canada cup if i'm not misinformed, which happens sometimes :squint:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
So was Bourque's competition as strong as Lidstrom's when both started out in the league? Potvin was hurt for most of Bourque's first season and Carlyle and Wilson won the Norris the next 2 seasons. I know you're a huge Bourque fan but you can't have it both ways.

Give me Lidstrom. He's got a bigger edge on Bourque defensively than people want to admit and he just might be the best shutdown defenseman ever, physical or not. Offensively they're pretty close when you factor in the eras they played in. Plus, Lidstrom's proven he's a winner and money in the playoffs time and time again.
Are you serious?

In Bourque's first season, Robinson, who was better than any of Lidstrom's competition, won the Norris and Borje Salming(Also better than Pronger or Niedermayer) was runner up and Schoenfeld 3rd with his career year, with Mark Howe (Also better than Pronger or Niedermayer) 5th after Bourque.

In his second season, the writers goofed just like they goofed in voting Mike Green high up in the past while. Carlyle had a fantastic flash in the pan season on a weak team, and they decided to give it to him over Potvin or Robinson, who blew him out of the water. Bourque again came in 4th, but against such competition before he really hit his peak, it is not surprising.

In his third year, Wilson won the Norris in his best season. He was better than Rob Blake and is right up in there with Pronger Niedermayer. Wilson would continue to have strong norris finishes that decade because he was a very good defenseman.

The next 3 years the much more well rounded Bourque or Mark Howe were losing Norris trophies to a defensive Rod Langway, or an offensive Paul Coffey. Both of whom have cases for their greatness. Everyone who complains about Mike Green getting too much credit in voting over well rounded guys would have spit blood during these 3 years.

Several instances(More than Lidstrom) can you pick a year in which Ray Bourque deserved the Norris trophy over another candidate, and several more years he lost to another of the best of all time.

In either case, what changes about Lidstrom here? Lidstrom was not worthy of top Norris finishes until 1995-96 5 years into his career. He was good, but not that good then. Likewise, Lidstrom's single best year was not as good as 5 of Bourque's best years.

Bourque, against tougher competition in his prime, and over his career has 19 years in which he was considered an elite defenseman in the league. The only NHL player with more all star selections than Bourque is Gordie Howe.

This, combined with his better peak than Lidstrom, makes this a no contest.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Not so much that he was on a lesser team but that he played a bigger role on the team because of Boston's lack of depth, especially at D. Do you think Bourque would be taking 300 shots a year if he had Coffey, Fetisov, Murphy and Fedorov on his team? Bourque isn't creating all these shots himself. He had a large offensive load because he was the only really good defenseman on Boston for much of his career. In Lidstrom's lowest scoring seasons, he played with Mathieu Schneider and Paul Coffey.

In Bourque's first 4 seasons (Brad Park was on Boston at the time), he averaged about 236 shots per 80 games. In '83-83, Bourque's first year without Park, Bourque took 340 shots. That's a 44% increase. His shot total (per 80 games) didn't drop below 300 in any season until '97. The only other time Bourque played with a notable defenseman, he was on Colorado and he was 38-40ish. It's hard to say what would have happened if, for instance, Boston had traded for Coffey or Stevens or Housley during Bourque's prime.

I don't doubt that Bourque would have taken on a smaller role if Boston had had another star d-man or two.

It works similarly for forwards and defensemen. More responsibility often results in more points, or at least more recognition.

I think Lidstrom's lack of Norris competition is sometimes overstated. Lots of players who started their careers in the 80s and beyond played into their late 30s, many of them at a high level. Lidstrom is currently 40 and still playing at an elite level. MacInnis, Bourque, Chelios, Stevens, Lidstrom, Blake. If Bourque and others maintained such a high level of play at an advanced age, shouldn't that weaken the argument that Lidstrom's Norris competition was weak? It's not as though Bourque/Macinnis/Chelios were well past their primes and people were urging them to retire and they still kept up with Lidstrom. They maintained a high level of play. MacInnis had some of his best seasons in his mid-late 30s. If Bourque was still very good, how is it that Lidstrom's competition wasn't? Bourque is good. Bourque is Lidstrom's competition. Therefore Lidstrom's competition is good.

The dilution of the talent pool in the 80s also made it easier for the elite or near elite players to dominate consistently. I haven't examined the numbers closely, but it seems like, even aside from 66 and 99, the 80s had a lot of the same group of dudes finishing around the top in scoring.

Bourque, Chelios and Macinnis were far better players when they were 30 than when they were 40 and facing Lidstrom. In their primes, Lidstrom does not beat them for the Norris trophy. Which is kind of the point. None of the younger defensemen other than Pronger or Lidstrom(Or Niedermayer when he finally matured in 2004) stepped up to fill the void left when these guys were getting older in the late 90's. When guys like Jovonovski, Desjardins, McCabe, Gonchar and Hatcher are in your norris pool consistently.....

I don't understand what you mean by "The same group of guys scoring". The same players routinely finish at the top of scoring now too.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Leaving out the trophies (because I kind of agree there was a cluster of top defenseman during parts of Bourques career that are better than the competition faced by Lidstrom), how is Bourques peak better than Lidstrom's?

I think he was a little better offensively (especially shot) but they both have amazing longevity and as we are all so fond of pointing out.. Bourque had the benefit of playing a lot of years in a higher average scoring era.

Bourques last big season in 95-96 was at age 35 where he had 82 points in 82 games. Average scoring that year was 6.29.

Lidstroms career season offensively was at age 35 where he had 80 points in 80 games. It strikes me as rather odd to have a player of his pedigree have his best offensive season at 35. Average scoring that year was 6.17.

That is about as close as you can get across 10 years.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Bourque, Chelios and Macinnis were far better players when they were 30 than when they were 40 and facing Lidstrom. In their primes, Lidstrom does not beat them for the Norris trophy. Which is kind of the point. None of the younger defensemen other than Pronger or Lidstrom(Or Niedermayer when he finally matured in 2004) stepped up to fill the void left when these guys were getting older in the late 90's. When guys like Jovonovski, Desjardins, McCabe, Gonchar and Hatcher are in your norris pool consistently.....

I don't understand what you mean by "The same group of guys scoring". The same players routinely finish at the top of scoring now too.

Gotta love the gems people toss out when there's no way they can be proven wrong (or right).

The quality of the competition has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the quality of Lidstrom.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Gotta love the gems people toss out when there's no way they can be proven wrong (or right).

The quality of the competition has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the quality of Lidstrom.

I kind of agree with him about the competition faced by Bourque but yeah.. MacInnis said himself he felt he was a better all around player at 35 when he won the Norris.

Also I'll just throw out there that evaluating the competition is different for Lidstroms era.. there is no such thing as a 100 point defenseman since his rookie year for example.

Meanwhile during Bourques era Mac, Leetch and Coffey (multiple times) .. and the year before Bourque entered the league Potvin did it. So the type of competition is different too somewhat.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Are you serious?

In Bourque's first season, Robinson, who was better than any of Lidstrom's competition, won the Norris and Borje Salming(Also better than Pronger or Niedermayer) was runner up and Schoenfeld 3rd with his career year, with Mark Howe (Also better than Pronger or Niedermayer) 5th after Bourque.

In his second season, the writers goofed just like they goofed in voting Mike Green high up in the past while. Carlyle had a fantastic flash in the pan season on a weak team, and they decided to give it to him over Potvin or Robinson, who blew him out of the water. Bourque again came in 4th, but against such competition before he really hit his peak, it is not surprising.

In his third year, Wilson won the Norris in his best season. He was better than Rob Blake and is right up in there with Pronger Niedermayer. Wilson would continue to have strong norris finishes that decade because he was a very good defenseman.

The next 3 years the much more well rounded Bourque or Mark Howe were losing Norris trophies to a defensive Rod Langway, or an offensive Paul Coffey. Both of whom have cases for their greatness. Everyone who complains about Mike Green getting too much credit in voting over well rounded guys would have spit blood during these 3 years.

Several instances(More than Lidstrom) can you pick a year in which Ray Bourque deserved the Norris trophy over another candidate, and several more years he lost to another of the best of all time.

In either case, what changes about Lidstrom here? Lidstrom was not worthy of top Norris finishes until 1995-96 5 years into his career. He was good, but not that good then. Likewise, Lidstrom's single best year was not as good as 5 of Bourque's best years.

Bourque, against tougher competition in his prime, and over his career has 19 years in which he was considered an elite defenseman in the league. The only NHL player with more all star selections than Bourque is Gordie Howe.

No, you claim Bourque was among the top 2 or 3 defenseman in the league right away when he first entered the NHL while Lidstrom wasn't ranked that high at the start of his career. You also claim Bourque had much tougher competition for the Norris in his prime due to Chelios, Stevens, MacInnis, Leetch etc. (the very same prime years when Lidstrom entered the league). My question is was Bourque's competition when he entered the league as good and as deep as Lidstrom's when he entered the league? You seem to want to compare competition during their prime years but not when they first entered the NHL. I smell bias.

As for the rest, you just sound like a Bourque fan spouting off things you can't prove. For instance, to say that many of Bourque's best years top Lidstrom's best years is laughable. In 2002 Lidstrom won the Norris, Conn Smythe and a Cup as a #1 dman and anchor on the Red Wings. It doesn't get much better than that and I would take those accomplishments over anything Bourque did in any single year (season and playoffs).

Briere Up There*

The opinion that Bourque's best years are better than Lidstrom's is hardly an opinion worthy of derision, nevermind laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad