Management Rate Staios so far

Rate Staios as GM so far.

• 5 stars, perfect, immaculate performance.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 4 stars, very good.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • 3 stars good but could have done better.

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • 2 stars, acceptable but had higher expectations.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • 1 star, fire Staios, unacceptable performance.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What the hell are you talking about lol? Even if Staios fails, it's going to be hard to be as BAD as Dorion was.

I have seen at least 3-4 comments like this this summer. Just because I can call a spade a spade and I am not being a pure homer who thinks his team is the best without reason, then I get the "go cheer for team X"

I am sorry if I have witnessed this rebuild lose a LOT of his shine over the last 4 seasons

This is so childish and stupid lol and I have seen you made a ton of comments trashing this organization over the years, which makes it even more ridiculous lmao

you’re problem is you can’t see the sea change that’s happened with his team, the depth of the talent we have in management, the balance in the roster now and improvements to the coaching staff - Ottawa has literally improved in every face yet of the organization and you’re still mad they fired Dorion

I was the king of the trash Melnyk fan club, I was years ahead of everyone else and I was right.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
you’re problem is you can’t see the sea change that’s happened with his team, the depth of the talent we have in management, the balance in the roster now and improvements to the coaching staff - Ottawa has literally improved in every face yet of the organization and you’re still mad they fired Dorion

I was the king of the trash Melnyk fan club, I was years ahead of everyone else and I was right.

How the hell am I mad that they fired Dorion? I called him the worst GM in NHL history, worse than Milbury

lol you must be mixing me up with someone else. We're getting old, memory is getting bad

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'll go from bad to good...

I disliked that he didn't fire DJ Smith before the season began. He also waited way too long in-season, and wasted the entire year IMO. It put more pressure on this upcoming year than it should, as a resut of a poor season. With enough bad luck, it could become the domino that started the 'Brady wants out' chain of events.

I dislike the Green hire, and think they should have went with a more established coach that has less of a 'bargain-bin' vibe. Maybe he'll be great but at this point so far - I don't like it, but I don't hate it either.

I see Amadio's contract as a kind of swap for Joseph (and a 3rd rounder). I have a slight negative view of it as I don't think Amadio is worth that much, and we should have prioritized a better value contract.

Moving on from Brannstrom was a move that needed to happen, given his QO.

I'm somewhat neutral towards the Perron signing. On one hand, he makes too much to play 3rd line (or whoever he bumps down will). On the other, I believe Norris is will get injured again, and that makes a guy like Perron very useful.

I like the Gregor signing, given the contract. Not a major move but a solid one.

I'm good with Jensen, but I think there were bette options in Roy/Pesce/Tanev/Marino. This is tough to guage as I don't really know how hard Staios pushed for any of them. Maybe Jensen was a last resort after the other names didn't want to come to Ottawa, or maybe Staios made bad offers. Either way, the end result is just okay as I think Jensen is a good fit, but we lost the 'value' aspect of the deal losing Chychrun.

The Pinto deal is certainly a good one. I'd have preferred something longer-term, but the position it puts us in, is a solid one.

At the draft, he took the guy I legit wanted in Yakemchuk. I think it was an unpopular pick, but I'm personally super happy with it.

The Ullmark trade was absolutely brilliant.

Voted:
3 stars good but could have done better

Reactions: Cosmix

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
On evaluating Staios, I think you just have to look at productivity, whether you like the moves or not is almost irrelevant. Steve Staios has addressed every issue he needed to and it is still early July. I get the sense there will be some other change/addition, but more a depth move I figure. As opposed to last year when they couldn't have signed Pinto had they wanted to because they did prioritize things properly. This year, I'm impressed with the Ulmark move and willing to give the rest a shot.

Reactions: PlayOn and Dionysus

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think people are overrating the Perron move cause Giroux worked out well. Giroux took a step back last year and Perron did aswell.

We need to be careful with these guys ages. I was hoping they brought in 29-32 year old vets. Father time is not on these guys sides. We also lost speed with Joseph something we need more of

Chychrun move was bad. Ullmark was good

Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I disliked that he didn't fire DJ Smith before the season began. He also waited way too long in-season, and wasted the entire year IMO. It put more pressure on this upcoming year than it should, as a resut of a poor season. With enough bad luck, it could become the domino that started the 'Brady wants out' chain of events.

I dislike the Green hire, and think they should have went with a more established coach that has less of a 'bargain-bin' vibe. Maybe he'll be great but at this point so far - I don't like it, but I don't hate it either.
I forgot judging Staios on not firing DJ right away.

The logic of "waiting and seeing" lost us the season right away. A new coach wouldn't have guaranteed the playoffs, but it would've shown an understanding that coaching with our team was ass. There's a reason Talbot and Gus could go elsewhere and succeed, Korpisalo wasn't the only one that shat the bed. DJ should've been fired at the same time as Dorion to go for a clean slate. Green and a whole bunch of stop gap coaches would've been available if we fired DJ even in November.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Have to give the GM some high marks for the wheeling and dealing done in the off-season…. Looks like a few holes were plugged and the opening night roster was a big improvement over last years…. Sure, some more tinkering needs to be done, but right now the focus has to be on the Head Coach and how the first 20 to 25 games go.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I’m going to wait until American Thanksgiving (or the end of November) before I start passing judgement.

A lot of our better forwards have been rather quiet and lackluster so far (just 2 games). We’ve only scored three goals in two games, and one of the goals was an empty net goal. Maybe they’re so focused on playing defense that offensive production is slipping? Anyhow, its something to keep an eye on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad