Proposal: Rasmus Dahlin For Moritz Seider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I see Dahlin and Seider as high-end dmen in a pretty similar situation: heavily relied upon because they are easily the best all-around defensemen on their own team so they play a lot, and always against the best players, and with not exactly the best support around them (Chiarot lol). That said, I don't think the Sabres would ever do this. Dahlin is a top 5 dman in the league imo.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Prime Bobby Orr and Prime Nick Lindstrom. Those are the 2 players I take over Dahlin. Cale Makar is not as good defensively and I’d love to see what Dahlin/Makar would do if they switched teams offensively.

Sieder can’t tie Dahlins skates. Dahlin and Makar are in a league of their own.

Ps- I’m a leafs fan who hates the Sabres.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Prime Bobby Orr and Prime Nick Lindstrom. Those are the 2 players I take over Dahlin. Cale Makar is not as good defensively and I’d love to see what Dahlin/Makar would do if they switched teams offensively.

Sieder can’t tie Dahlins skates. Dahlin and Makar are in a league of their own.

Ps- I’m a leafs fan who hates the Sabres.
Dahlin is fine but hes only been a top 10D once in his career

Dahlin is no where close to the 2nd best D in the league

He isn't the best D from his draft class

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The perception of Dahlin is weighed down by a decade of Sabres goo and slime.

Forget the old hearsay that he is soft, or bad in his own zone. He's a fully developed player and well beyond those issues. Is he perfect? Of course not. But there is not a single thing he does not do well.

Yes, his assists dropped last year, which was largely the result of the Sabres shitty PP and their forwards inability to finish, as the others have alluded to further up. He still scored 20 goals, 3 off the league lead.

He also ranked 17th in hits and his possession numbers — on a bad team, in tough matchups —were top 30, matching those of many studs on good teams like Fox, Toews, Josi, Makar and Morrisey.

He's 6'3" 210 and uses it, has sublime edgework, makes plays few others can make, gets under the skin of opponents and competes like a badger. His biggest flaw is he will make mistakes trying to do too much, but even that has been tamed.

He's 24 and just committed to his bedraggled franchise for 8 years and will be named captain before the season starts.

Trading Rasmus Dahlin for an unsigned lesser player — and I love me some Mo Seider — who is less than a year younger does not fix any roster problem or cap issue. It does not make the Sabres better now, or in the future. It would be utter foolishness.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Would u mind expanding I am curious.

I have read this, is it the Sabres plan to play him on the right side? Does Dahlia have an opinion on this? Has he spoken about it?

Their previous coach and their GM have both stated that handedness doesn't matter.

Offensive Dmen like playing on their off-sides because it helps them offensively.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Would either fan base be interested in this? Seider is by far the most well rounded of the 2 but does not have Dahlin's offensive potential. Seider fills a gaping hole on the right side of Buffalo's defence. Dahlen and Axel-Sandin Pelikka sounds like something from the Wings glory days of the 2000's.
There’s a very good bet, by the time Seider hits 25, he’ll be one of the Top 2-3 Dmen in the game. He has one of the most well rounded games and he’s very hard to play against. That last part is what’s gonna put him over the top. Just imagine how much better he’ll continue to get, as that D-Core rounds out over the next 2 years.

You just don’t trade 23 year old Dmen like that. Just like you don’t trade 24 year old Dmen like Dahlin. You build around them. If Edvinsson keeps taking a lot of the pressure off Seider, as he did those last 18-20 games last season, it’ll open up Seider’s game too. He’s gonna be a 50+ point Dman consistently. Like Power has helped take pressure off Dahlin.

Not sure people realize how much they ask of that kid every night. It’s been like “hey, you get Matthews tonight, Kucherov tomorrow and Barkov the next day.” All with having to play with Jake Walman passing the puck (below the circles) to his imaginary friend 10 times a night.

People are gonna be very surprised btw, how bad Jake Walman is without Seider. SJ has nobody to cover for that madness.

So as a Dman, I’d take Seider between the two, but it’s a no-win answer. I’m just more old school and like my Dmen to play with an imposing edge. That takes nothing away from Dahlin. He’s had a 70 point season already. Whether he’s more the 50-60 point Dman or can be 65+, we’ll see.

People can argue back and forth. There’s no right answer today. One thing’s for sure though….

The Atlantic is going to have 3-4 monster blue lines in 2-3 years. Like 5-6 deep. Detroit’s gonna have at least four or five 6’4”- 6’6” dmen with ASP. Buffalo and Ottawa are building something as well. Not to mention if Montreal’s group ends up being anywhere near what some think it could be. Might not be as physical as the others, but we’ll see. A ton will depend on Reinbacher. If he can be anything like Sanderson, Seider, Dahlin, Power and what it looks like Edvinsson is, they’ll be a force as well. If he’s a bust, they’ll have some work to do.

The Atlantic over the next decade, is gonna be a blood bath.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
There’s a very good bet, by the time Seider hits 25, he’ll be one of the Top 2-3 Dmen in the game. He has one of the most well rounded games and he’s very hard to play against. That last part is what’s gonna put him over the top. Just imagine how much better he’ll continue to get, as that D-Core rounds out over the next 2 years.

You just don’t trade 23 year old Dmen like that. Just like you don’t trade 24 year old Dmen like Dahlin. You build around them. If Edvinsson keeps taking a lot of the pressure off Seider, as he did those last 18-20 games last season, it’ll open up Seider’s game too. He’s gonna be a 50+ point Dman consistently. Like Power has helped take pressure off Dahlin.

Not sure people realize how much they ask of that kid every night. It’s been like “hey, you get Matthews tonight, Kucherov tomorrow and Barkov the next day.” All with having to play with Jake Walman passing the puck (below the circles) to his imaginary friend 10 times a night.

People are gonna be very surprised btw, how bad Jake Walman is without Seider. SJ has nobody to cover for that madness.

So as a Dman, I’d take Seider between the two, but it’s a no-win answer. I’m just more old school and like my Dmen to play with an imposing edge. That takes nothing away from Dahlin. He’s had a 70 point season already. Whether he’s more the 50-60 point Dman or can be 65+, we’ll see.

People can argue back and forth. There’s no right answer today. One thing’s for sure though….

The Atlantic is going to have 3-4 monster blue lines in 2-3 years. Like 5-6 deep. Detroit’s gonna have at least four or five 6’4”- 6’6” dmen with ASP. Buffalo and Ottawa are building something as well. Not to mention if Montreal’s group ends up being anywhere near what some think it could be. Might not be as physical as the others, but we’ll see. A ton will depend on Reinbacher. If he can be anything like Sanderson, Seider, Dahlin, Power and what it looks like Edvinsson is, they’ll be a force as well. If he’s a bust, they’ll have some work to do.

The Atlantic over the next decade, is gonna be a blood bath.
Genuine question - have you watched Dahlin the last couple seasons? It’s okay if you don’t because well it’s the Sabres. I ask because it sounds like you think of him only as an offensive defenseman ala Karlsson.

Dahlin is a motherf***er to play against. He’s a prick. Seider only had 10 more hits than him last season. He takes every single top matchup and puts up great metrics still.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Genuine question - have you watched Dahlin the last couple seasons? It’s okay if you don’t because well it’s the Sabres. I ask because it sounds like you think of him only as an offensive defenseman ala Karlsson.

Dahlin is a motherf***er to play against. He’s a prick. Seider only had 10 more hits than him last season. He takes every single top matchup and puts up great metrics still.

People look at his numbers and assume he plays like Makar but slightly less effectively. Nope. There’s not a single aspect of the game that Dahlin isn’t elite at. The gap between him and Seider is large.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Considering Dahlin’s new contract I would prefer Seider. Dahlin is a good player, but I prefer Seider, who is improving.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There’s a very good bet, by the time Seider hits 25, he’ll be one of the Top 2-3 Dmen in the game. He has one of the most well rounded games and he’s very hard to play against.

Seider was just about the easiest defenseman to play against last year actually, teams got to camp in the Wings defensive zone.

Seider is comfortably one of the most overrated players in the league as Wings fans have convinced themselves that because he had brutal deployment, none of his results mean anything. Who cares how poorly he plays, have you seen that deployment bro?

Buffalo would never consider this, Detroit would.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wild take
Look at his norris finishes, pt finishes and watch him play, he is no defensive d-man. He controls offense very well but he gets burned defensively and isnt a shut-down d-man like a Slavin, Chris Tanev (prime not now), Ryan McDonaugh

Ofcourse his offensive skillset is >> than most shutdown D-mans skills and he is probably the 8th to 10th best D in the league right now. That is a far cry frim 1B to Makar whose rookie season is probably better than Dahlins peak so far in 2023

Hughes
Bouchard
Dobson

Are three guys from his draft class (believe all from 2018) he needs to show he is better than

Before

Makar
Fox
Hedman
Heiskinen

Come up

You are one of the few posters I have seen overrate Dahlin so highly these past few years

This isnt 2018, he clearly is not a generational player now in his 7th NHL year

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Look at his norris finishes, pt finishes and watch him play, he is no defensive d-man. He controls offense very well but he gets burned defensively and isnt a shut-down d-man like a Slavin, Chris Tanev (prime not now), Ryan McDonaugh

Ofcourse his offensive skillset is >> than most shutdown D-mans skills and he is probably the 8th to 10th best D in the league right now. That is a far cry frim 1B to Makar whose rookie season is probably better than Dahlins peak so far in 2023

Hughes
Bouchard
Dobson

Are three guys from his draft class (believe all from 2018) he needs to show he is better than

Before

Makar
Fox
Hedman
Heiskinen

Come up

You are one of the few posters I have seen overrate Dahlin so highly these past few years

Hes tiers above Bouchard and dobson. No offense to either player or franchise. Your bias is showing.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hes tiers above Bouchard and dobson. No offense to either player or franchise. Your bias is showing.
He has shown nothing to be above either of them

Both had significantly better years and Bouchard is the one of the greatest performing defenseman of this generation offensively.

Dahlin doesn't get a pass for the sabres failure just like other stars dont get a pass for their teams failures

He hasnt been close to what was expected and despite that still a top 10ishD which shows he has a huge ceiling

He needs to put it all together. The tools and talent is there to be a norris winner and yearly contender but he is entering his prime now, if he cant deliver in the next 3 or 4 seasons then he wont be able to live up to his talent.

He needs to be a two way force that gives ~75-80 pts and helos the sabres make deep runs. He makes insane money for what he brings at the moment at 11.5M, has to break out to justify that deal

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hughes
Bouchard
Dobson

Before

Makar
Fox
Hedman
Heiskinen

Come up

There are reasons why the Sabres are bad and have been for Dahlin’s entire time there. He eats a lot of minutes but (as you point out) the club struggles defensively when he’s on the ice.
IMO Dahlin ranks below those D men you listed from his draft. He isn’t even top 10 (especially considering his contract) at this time. If this trade was offered I think Yzerman is the one to hang up. Seider looks like he’s going to grow into being a more complete player. And teams win with complete players, especially on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad