Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
No motivation here from me. I've been very vocal about this since 2014. I've always said that they would compete post Rudy trade when they magically became better, but it wouldn't result in anything. We need real superstars.

Ah. So the four division titles, three fifty win seasons, and four playoff round victories have meant nothing. And the franchise would have been better served tanking from that point, so that today they could have a starting lineup of:

PG) Kris Dunn
SG) Wiggins
SF) Bruno
PF) Josh Jackson
C) Jahlil Okafor

***** right off with that BS.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ah. So the four division titles, three fifty win seasons, and four playoff round victories have meant nothing. And the franchise would have been better served tanking from that point, so that today they could have a starting lineup of:

PG) Kris Dunn
SG) Wiggins
SF) Bruno
PF) Josh Jackson
C) Jahlil Okafor

***** right off with that BS.

So you are completely content with not making the finals and not having a hope in hell of even winning it? Good to know. I'm sure you'll enjoy finishing seconding the division next year and a potential first round exit.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So you are completely content with not making the finals and not having a hope in hell of even winning it? Good to know. I'm sure you'll enjoy finishing seconding the division next year and a potential first round exit.

He says "4 playoff round victories" like it's some kinda accomplishment. Let's put a banner up there for that :rolleyes:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I see zero reason to argue with you both just simply due to the stubbornness on both sides. You guys are content with being regular season wonders and will never win anything of significance. I want the team to tank and see how that goes. We have seen them fail year after year in the playoffs. It can't hurt to try and tank. I know it's not absolute. But I know for sure it is absolute we won't ever beat Lebron so long as he is in the East and Boston+Philly are tiers more talented than us.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Masai deserves credit for taking us out of the wilderness but now we've got a team with a maxed out cap situation with no room to improve because of the horrible contracts he gave out. In 1 or 2 years of total waste of time, we'll go right back to the bottom. A new coach and a few changes around the core will not make a difference.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Masai deserves credit for taking us out of the wilderness but now we've got a team with a maxed out cap situation with no room to improve because of the horrible contracts he gave out. In 1 or 2 years of total waste of time, we'll go right back to the bottom. A new coach and a few changes around the core will not make a difference.

Pretty easy to argue that the Raptors would've been a borderline playoff team without those contracts that he gave. Toronto fans that are hating on Masai are being ridiculous.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

The team might just end up bottoming out further down the line by virtue of not being talented enough. We will have to wait and see.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Pretty easy to argue that the Raptors would've been a borderline playoff team without those contracts that he gave. Toronto fans that are hating on Masai are being ridiculous.

I should bow to him for giving Ibaka 20 million $ for not even being able to dribble the basketball. I should bow to him for giving a playoff no show, DD, 27 mil $. Sure.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I agree, tanking is dumb. Just retool!

NYT suggested Masai was open to trading Demar last season... He needs to go, or Kyle. I believe this team needs better structure versatility in defense.

Also: Boston/Philly are on the rise... But, they ain't besting the Warriors soon; GS will be a dynasty team for the next three years, too good, unless Curry falls off.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I should bow to him for giving Ibaka 20 million $ for not even being able to dribble the basketball. I should bow to him for giving a playoff no show, DD, 27 mil $. Sure.

Yeah, ibaka isn't worth the money but DD is loyal and ujiri rewarded him. I said it before, DD/KLOW is like kessel/phaneuf, role players, but not someone who can push for as title.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
How many years did it take for Philly to finally get relevent? That exactly should tell you right there.

Sure though lets tank for 15 years and then maybe we get another Lebron, and finally win. It doesnt matter how much losing we do. As long as we get a tiny chance at a generational player coming into the league!!!!!
Horray for small opportunities, and no playoffs for a possibility at receiving the best player in 15 years!!

Tank with 15 years in mind!!

Reactions: Giuseppe Sallo

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Raptors are in a tough spot but how many here believe we would finish 1st in the division... Yeah! Anything is possible. Either WIN now or retool. We're a very good team that needs structure.

Super teams rule the NBA. Unfortunately the trend will continue til silver smartens up.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I see zero reason to argue with you both just simply due to the stubbornness on both sides. You guys are content with being regular season wonders and will never win anything of significance. I want the team to tank and see how that goes. We have seen them fail year after year in the playoffs. It can't hurt to try and tank. I know it's not absolute. But I know for sure it is absolute we won't ever beat Lebron so long as he is in the East and Boston+Philly are tiers more talented than us.

VORP

Tatum: 1.8
Brown: 1.0
Rozier: 2.0

Poeltl: 2.0
Siakam: 1.7
OG: 1.0

I think people vastly underrate the ceiling of this Raps squad. They remain one of the youngest teams in the league, comparable to the Celts and 76ers. Not to mention playoff OG was rocking a .695 TS%.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Memphis had the second highest odds of getting 1st, a 55% chance of remaining in the top 3, but instead they receive the fourth pick. This is why tanking is no bueno. No Ayton, no Doncic, likely no Bagley either.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
So... maybe Lebron is actually mortal in the East after all? Honestly, the way Cleveland has played in these POs (including some games against TO) they might be better served by missing the finals and saving themselves the embarrassment of getting swept.

On a related note, I watched that Brown interview after the game and I love that attitude and self belief. Not something we saw much of in the Toronto guys...

Apr 1, 2010
It's not about tanking.
IT's about realising that Lowry and DD are not the guys you want with the ball in their hand in the post season. Period!

We have several good young players to remain competitive and OG has ice in his veins as seen with that game tying shot.

Move DD and Lowry (if we can) for picks and pieces that compliment the players we already have. But there is no need to fully gut this team. Although if I see Miles take one more failed 3pt shot I will puke.

But Please do not drink the 90's and 2000's LEafs koolaid and try to make something work that just won't and keep viewing just making the post season as a sign of success and trying to add that "one piece" that puts this team over the top.
This team will never win with Lowry and DD as our two main weapons. Time to move on.
Firing Casey is a move I think we will live to regret.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
VORP

Tatum: 1.8
Brown: 1.0
Rozier: 2.0

Poeltl: 2.0
Siakam: 1.7
OG: 1.0

I think people vastly underrate the ceiling of this Raps squad. They remain one of the youngest teams in the league, comparable to the Celts and 76ers. Not to mention playoff OG was rocking a .695 TS%.

I was also very vocal about Poeltl being a good pick. I'm not saying gut everything. I think OG has a place here (he's Kawhi 2.0 for me). But you have to be kidding yourselves if seeing this "core" fail yet again doesn't make you want to tear it down. It's pathetic.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Fact is, Toronto will never win an NBA title. This league is superstar driven, where 1 player can pretty much dominate, if you have 2 you are almost guaranteed to make the finals. Toronto will never get one of these players, and if they somehow do manage to get one through the draft, they will most likely leave the first chance they get. No top tier free agent is ever signing here, so the only way to acquire such talent is via the draft. If they keep this core together, all it guarantees is a good regular season record, poor playoff performances and draft picks in the 20's. Welcome to insanity.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I agree, tanking is dumb. Just retool!

NYT suggested Masai was open to trading Demar last season... He needs to go, or Kyle. I believe this team needs better structure versatility in defense.

Also: Boston/Philly are on the rise... But, they ain't besting the Warriors soon; GS will be a dynasty team for the next three years, too good, unless Curry falls off.

Retool is difficult if your core players aren't good enough. It's also difficult for Toronto to build other than the draft because we are not a prime free agent destination. I would trade the DD and KL, and re-evaluate the team with another set of core players, maybe this will take us to being the worst team in the league next year, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad