Value of: Rantanen - what would you give?

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
So they would give him up for cheap if someone would offer a lot? Like Montreal could have him for a 2nd round pick, but only if we offered Demidov + Hutson?

Is this like a King Solomon situation where they are willing to let him go free to a good home, but only if the new team shows how much they value him?
I meant McFarland would give rants for very cheap if someone offered mooning him (or georgiev)

Last edited:

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Find a comparable option at a recent deadline. Maybe teams dont have the resources to give it, but there hasnt been a player of his caliber at a deadline ever that I can think of. Hossa in 08? Even then Rantanen now is way above Hossa then.
Hossa was far superior to him Rantanen plays in a much higher scoring era

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Rantanen is coming off back to back 100+ point season, has been very good in the playoffs (and won the Cup), and is generally considered one of the best wingers in the game today. If the Avs decide to do something stupid and trade him, why would they use either of these two guys as a comparable, when Horvat was a 2C and Meier only has a single career season where he's even come close to being PPG?
Because he’s still a rental who wants to explore UFA. A non-playoff team isn’t going to give you that, because it’ll derail their rebuild if(when) he walks, and a playoff team isn’t going to remove anything important for a Cup run, or remove too much futures if he walks. Rentals simply don’t pull much of a return if the player isn’t going to re-sign.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Hossa was far superior to him Rantanen plays in a much higher scoring era
I'd love to see someone really break this down comparing scoring eras, teams, line-mates, etc.

Rantanen was 6th and 7th in overall scoring the past two seasons, albeit playing on a great Avs team.
Hossa was 7th and 44th in the season before he was traded on a Thrashers team that won their division and then his split season with ATL/PIT.

Without overanalyzing and getting into defensive play, I find it hard to believe "far superior" is there. At best, you can argue on par, likely conceding Rantanen is the superior player.

But also Hossa returned two middle 6 players and essentially two 1sts back then. If this is the only comparable high value trade deadline piece we have to look at, then two middle 6 roster players and two firsts is the start of negotiations for Rantanen.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Rantanen is UFA, so there are many GMs that would comfortably give him 13-14M$ over multiple years.

As far as trade assets if he re-signs in Colorado, well, he'd be worth a true blue-chip prospect++.

And that's not something you can say for many players.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Because he’s still a rental who wants to explore UFA. A non-playoff team isn’t going to give you that, because it’ll derail their rebuild if(when) he walks, and a playoff team isn’t going to remove anything important for a Cup run, or remove too much futures if he walks. Rentals simply don’t pull much of a return if the player isn’t going to re-sign.

Any chance you have a direct quote from someone directly involved in the negotiations indicating he "wants to explore UFA"? Because everything I've read suggests that he wants to stay in Colorado, and there is no expectation from either side that he'll reach UFA.

Or should I just make the same flawed assumption you make to try to justify him being worth less than Meier?

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I'd love to see someone really break this down comparing scoring eras, teams, line-mates, etc.

Rantanen was 6th and 7th in overall scoring the past two seasons, albeit playing on a great Avs team.
Hossa was 7th and 44th in the season before he was traded on a Thrashers team that won their division and then his split season with ATL/PIT.

Without overanalyzing and getting into defensive play, I find it hard to believe "far superior" is there. At best, you can argue on par, likely conceding Rantanen is the superior player.

But also Hossa returned two middle 6 players and essentially two 1sts back then. If this is the only comparable high value trade deadline piece we have to look at, then two middle 6 roster players and two firsts is the start of negotiations for Rantanen.
I disagree with you on this very much, Hossa was putting up offense like Rantanen with superior two way play, Hossa was just better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad