Value of: Rantanen - what would you give?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Itis above Horvat and below Meier
Meier had a full year of team control. Horvat was a UFA

protected 1st ( top 10 or so) + recent late 1st/ mid 2nd round drafted prospect+ contracted player. Things can change based on the contracted player or who the prospect is.

Horvat was 1st+ mid 2nd prospect+ contract
Meier was low 1st but a recent mid 1st drafted player and retention

Rantanen is coming off back to back 100+ point season, has been very good in the playoffs (and won the Cup), and is generally considered one of the best wingers in the game today. If the Avs decide to do something stupid and trade him, why would they use either of these two guys as a comparable, when Horvat was a 2C and Meier only has a single career season where he's even come close to being PPG?

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I know who I'd target on the sens, but I'm probably a minority yakemchuk, greig and batherson.
I don't see that as a fair deal for a player who's not signed, and generally rentals never get back that much, maybe one of those guys as a piece, but I just don't see it happening, you'd need to have salary going back to the Avs, so probably Norris would have to be included as a cap dump.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Rantanen is coming off back to back 100+ point season, has been very good in the playoffs (and won the Cup), and is generally considered one of the best wingers in the game today. If the Avs decide to do something stupid and trade him, why would they use either of these two guys as a comparable, when Horvat was a 2C and Meier only has a single career season where he's even come close to being PPG?
Yea he does but most teams are already over the cap and giving premium assets + finding 12-13M of cap space is next to impossible.

It’s a very hard sell for a buyer and that is if said buyer can find the cap to sign Rantanen

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yea he does but most teams are already over the cap and giving premium assets + finding 12-13M of cap space is next to impossible.

It’s a very hard sell for a buyer and that is if said buyer can find the cap to sign Rantanen

That sounds like a reason why the Avs will most likely extend him after the season is done and they have a better idea of what's going on with Landeskog and Nuke's cap hits going forward. Much easier to give Rantanen a little more cap hit if Landy is LTIRetired and/or Nuke is suspended for next year, right?

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If he is not willing to talk extension during the season, then you are trading him as a rental. You can't just assume a 'signed mikko' and ask for a haul.

Honestly if Colorado is in it, they should keep him as an 'own rental'. If they don't think this is their year, they will get a decent return at the TDL, but the Meier range is likely (better player but Meier had an extra year of control)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad