Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This year is shaping up to be one of the most intolerable on HFAvs yet.

Rants signing unknown
George shitting the bed
Nuke being Nuke
Will Landy return and be serviceable

On top of the CMac haters, Bednar blender haters, and whomever happens to be the skating whipping boy this year.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How is letting Rantanen walk a solution?

The guy is way too valuable to this team to let go. Even if it’s only to keep the window alive for a couple more years, you sign him.

Also… how big of an ‘L’ is it for the reporter who said the deal ‘should be done soon’ ages ago? He obviously just guessed, hoping to be right. Bad reporting.
Yeah I could at least understand where people are coming from in the trade Rantanen to add cap space and get some prime assets. But letting him walk would horrible for this team.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Let Rants walk for nothing is a fireable offense. I’m sure they’ll get it done. It wasn’t easy the last time with him either.

Over the last 8 months, I have come to the conclusion that CMac has walked himself into a corner of fireable offenses. There shouldn't even be a discussion of a contract for Mikko. He should have been offered 8 x $1 less than Mac and be done with it. However, that is simply not possible if the team wants another shot at the cup. However...

The problem is not the Mikko contract. The problem is poor asset management over the past 3 years. The Landy contract - even if he was 100% healthy - was destined to become an albatross around the neck of the salary cap. That should have been 8 x $5. Toews Contract was at least $1M too high for what he was bound to produce ( and what time seems to have proven he can produce.) Then add in what has become a meme around here - $250K too much - and you have the entirety of the increase in the Mikko ask this contract. CMac may look like a nerd, but he is a riverboat gambler. Soooo many signings illustrate his / Sakic's hubris - that the Avs could get out of a player what other teams could not. They got cocky after great value contracts for Lehky and Nuke. But they have whiffed on a dozen gambles since then. Drouin was a great pickup, but that is 99.999% Mac, not CMac.

There is no way CMac can get through this Mikko contract, without smelling like crap. Losing him for little / no return is a fireable offense. But so is paying him $13M and slamming the window completely closed.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I just am not sure about all this windows being closed if big contracts are given, we need re-tool business.

As far as I understand, the cap is going to rise again.

If Mikko is resigned, we have 3 guys who are potentially top 10 players in this league, and we still have supporting cast around them.

We will have to rely more on ELC contracts for depth, Manson or Girard may have to be shipped out.

Wood would likely be sent out.

Colton likely sent out and replaced by Ritchie.

The pro scouts will have to do an ace job at finding bargain deals to round out the lineups with signings like the Droin deal.

There are moves that can be made, and if we actually get Nuke and Landy back, this team still has a wide open window.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Expecting this to be done soon. Everything media reports someone's contract negotiations is "far apart" it gets done shortly after.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just am not sure about all this windows being closed if big contracts are given, we need re-tool business.

If Mikko is resigned, we have 3 guys who are potentially top 10 players in this league, and we still have supporting cast around them.

We will have to rely more on ELC contracts for depth, Manson or Girard may have to be shipped out.

The pro scouts will have to do an ace job at finding bargain deals to round out the lineups with signings like the Droin deal.

There are moves that can be made, and if we actually get Nuke and Landy back, this team still has a wide open window.

Let me break it down for you:

If Mikko signs an expected deal. Avs will be in the realm of ~86-87m spent with ~6-7 roster spaces needed to fill. That includes needing a starting goalie and no Drouin.

The supporting cast now is rather weak. Yeah there are stars, the top of the lineup looks good. But Wood, Colton and LOC are the 3rd line. Wood is very much a 4th line level player. Colton is probably best suited in a role as an elite 4th liner. I think he's average across the league as a 3rd liner, but he doesn't play with smarts and abysmal defensively. LOC is recovering from surgery and he's an unknown. Last year he was great as a 3rd liner, but previous years he wasn't at that level. Typically it takes a full season to recover from his surgery. Additionally the bottom pairing looks really weak and the middle pairing isn't really much of a plus. That's before you to the situation in net. It all could improve, but there isn't nearly the quality down the lineup because of the contract sitaution.

On ELCs, next year, the only ELC that'll help us is Ritchie. The rest are either up for new contracts or the players aren't capable.

On top of all of this... this team is rather old. Next year, we have MacK, Lehky, Nuke and Wood all being over 30 joining Toews and Landy above that number. Rants, Colton, and LOC will be 29. The typical aging curve in the NHL has players dropping off in the 27-29 range with 30+ being significant drops. No one size fits all, but a lot of the roster is hitting ages where steps back should be expected. Especially when you consider them core players. Teams don't often win Cups with their core with any member above 30, and usually that is limited to one guy. Certainly some older guys contribute, but you need the prime age (22-28 +/- 1 year) leading the charge.

IMO simply on age, and excluding all other factors, you have a maximum of 3 seasons. Odds are much higher it is really only 1 or 2 seasons. That's before you get into the lack of depth, young players, injuries, cocaine, the pile of shit in net, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I just read some excerpts from Lebrun's comments about the Avs possibly having an internal cap situation, with Mack's AAV setting the ceiling. It makes sense to me on some level, but the timing is problematic. With Draisaitl, he signed his new deal before McDavid, so that will work out for Edmonton. If you pay Rantannen more than Mack, does that have any implications for the locker room (Lebrun seemed to raise this issue - although perhaps it is more of a hypothetical concern for Colorado's management than reality). What happens with Makar and his new contract at that point?

It would seem very difficult for Colorado to let Rants walk as a UFA without any form of trade compensation, if it gets to that point. Colorado has no internal prospects that can fill that void and it seems unlikely that the void could be filled through free agency.

Additionally, if Rants walks, what message does that send to Mack and Makar. Would they want to stick around through a rebuilding process? These are just some things that popped into my head.

We also have the situation with Landy and Nuke, which is creating a dead-cap like situation of $15 million + AAV, wrapped up in a undependable player with addiction issues and another player that I have real doubts will ever play again.

McFarland is in a tough spot, but it is the nature of the beast.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just read some excerpts from Lebrun's comments about the Avs possibly having an internal cap situation, with Mack's AAV setting the ceiling. It makes sense to me on some level, but the timing is problematic. With Draisaitl, he signed his new deal before McDavid, so that will work out for Edmonton. If you pay Rantannen more than Mack, does that have any implications for the locker room (Lebrun seemed to raise this issue - although perhaps it is more of a hypothetical concern for Colorado's management than reality). What happens with Makar and his new contract at that point?

It would seem very difficult for Colorado to let Rants walk as a UFA without any form of trade compensation, if it gets to that point. Colorado has no internal prospects that can fill that void and it seems unlikely that the void could be filled through free agency.

Additionally, if Rants walks, what message does that send to Mack and Makar. Would they want to stick around through a rebuilding process? These are just some things that popped into my head.

We also have the situation with Landy and Nuke, which is creating a dead-cap like situation of $15 million + AAV, wrapped up in a undependable player with addiction issues and another player that I have real doubts will ever play again.

McFarland is in a tough spot, but it is the nature of the beast.
If MacK is setting the AAV cap, and that is the issue... then we are clearly in the realm of Mikko wanting to set a new winger percentage of cap record. He can get ahead of Pasta on a re-signing at Mack or just slightly below AAV. To get a decent chunk ahead, We're near 12.8-12.9. To set a new overall record, he needs to get north of 13m and nearl 13.5m.

Makar will have a blank check.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

It's kind of funny...the Avs are screwed because their stars got too good.
You just described the NHL hard cap system. It's not the Avs, it's literally everybody.

The good thing is that the Avs actually managed to win in their window. Not every team can do that. Their good players get paid, depth is gone and the window gets closed.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Any sport with a salary cap is designed that way. It isn't the only reason, but they don't want the Red Wings and Avs of yore in the NHL anymore.
Not to the extent of the NHL salary cap. Other leagues don't have such a hard cap.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Trade Rants.

This contract year is an illusion. Of course he's gonna look amazing this year. He's gonna have jump, gonna be engaged, probably will have multiple hat tricks. But once he gets what he wants, probably 13M since the cap is gonna go up, he's gonna revert back to last year's Rants, and we are gonna be stuck with that contract for the next eight years. Don't fall for it!

Need to find a lights out goalie, and also be able to pay that goalie. We will never beat Vegas or Dallas in the postseason until we do find one.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Trade Rants.

This contract year is an illusion. Of course he's gonna look amazing this year. He's gonna have jump, gonna be engaged, probably will have multiple hat tricks. But once he gets what he wants, probably 13M since the cap is gonna go up, he's gonna revert back to last year's Rants, and we are gonna be stuck with that contract for the next eight years. Don't fall for it!
42 goals, 104 points

The horror

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Any sport with a salary cap is designed that way. It isn't the only reason, but they don't want the Red Wings and Avs of yore in the NHL anymore.
You mean those seasons when Devils won three Stanley Cups, Rangers bought pretty much every who Blues didn't take, Hasek dominated the league with Buffalo and Stars were full of Hall Of Famers? Oh and Penguins finished with three of the top-4 in NHL scoring?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

When speaking of the salary cap, we need to think long term. Sure, the cap is going to increase over the next few years. But Makar has a new contract in 3 years. The Avs have inked Toews, Mac, Nuke and Landy to long deals. Mitts, Lehky and Drouin - all considered to be on the value contract spectrum - also come due. LOC just got a 6 year deal at $1.5M more than this year. So a cap increase of $8M over the next 3 years disappears pretty quickly.

Then there is the issue of depth. There is also the issue of Bednar Style. Ritchie is just not the type of 3C Bednar prefers. He'll barely be ready for the NHL in the season after this, and the notion is to give him LOC and an ELC on his wings gives me nightmares (and I love LOC.) Then 3 ELC on the 4th line. And since one of Manson or Girard would need to go, that means 2 ELC on the third pair and possibly worse.

There is also no room for a quality goalie, and if we are talking as many as 3 ELC on defense, the team is going to need a well above average goalie, and that is not available for $3M. I don't care how good Mikko is; that depth is not getting out of the 2nd round.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You mean those seasons when Devils won three Stanley Cups, Rangers bought pretty much every who Blues didn't take, Hasek dominated the league with Buffalo and Stars were full of Hall Of Famers? Oh and Penguins finished with three of the top-4 in NHL scoring?
And teams that were relocating all over the place because they couldn't afford to keep pace in the league, owners who were selling for pennies on the dollar, a league that only attracted investment from the lowest of all lowlifes in the business world, a league where 1/3 were on the verge of bankruptcy, and most impactfully here, a world where Harrison Ford had a very significant role to play in not only the Avs winning the Cup in 01 but might have caused the sale of a franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad