Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Usually when Dater goes out of his way to say something like this it's true. Like the Nuke stuff.
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The last time Rantanen was negotiating, Dater posted that it's not close between him and the Avs... and then Rantanen signed like 48 hours later lol.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The last time Rantanen was negotiating, Dater posted that it's not close between him and the Avs... and then Rantanen signed like 48 hours later lol.
The thing with contract negotiation is what is true now doesn't mean it's still going to be true an hour from now. So even if Rants' side did cut off talks for the entire season one phone call could change that.

With that said, same thing happened with Landy. He signed with the Avs after hearing what the other teams were offering. It's possible that Rants wants to know his value on the market then will sign 8 years here for the same total value.

Reactions: RECKLESS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I can easily see Rants' camp cutting things off for a while, but I can't see a situation where the Avs trade Rants. They'll either sign him, or he will walk. Dater is certainly trying to get people to pay for something the itch that anxiety.

I do think we're going to see a highly motivated Rants for a while.

Reactions: RECKLESS and Vk1ing

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can easily see Rants' camp cutting things off for a while, but I can't see a situation where the Avs trade Rants. They'll either sign him, or he will walk. Dater is certainly trying to get people to pay for something the itch that anxiety.

I do think we're going to see a highly motivated Rants for a while.
Followed by 8 years of last year's level of effort :laugh:

Reactions: Bender

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If Dater is telling the truth, it's a 50/50 crap shoot at this point with him, then it's disappointing to say the least.

You either needed to trade him at the draft or re-sign him over the summer. CMac did neither, which isn't surprising since he's not the best GM.

Now a trade gets us pennies on the dollar and he's not going sign anything short of massive overpayment, why would he this close to ufa.

The last thing you want to do is lose him for nothing which sadly is looking like a real possibility. Good job CMac.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Dater is telling the truth, it's a 50/50 crap shoot at this point with him, then it's disappointing to say the least.

You either needed to trade him at the draft or re-sign him over the summer. CMac did neither, which isn't surprising since he's not the best GM.

Now a trade gets us pennies on the dollar and he's not going sign anything short of massive overpayment, why would he this close to ufa.

The last thing you want to do is lose him for nothing which sadly is looking like a real possibility. Good job CMac.
CMac nearly lost Landy and lost Grubauer/Kadri doing the same thing.

Rants either signs at full UFA value (but spread over 8 years) or walks at the end of the season. We've been there before.

Reactions: chet1926

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
CMac nearly lost Landy and lost Grubauer/Kadri doing the same thing.

Rants either signs at full UFA value (but spread over 8 years) or walks at the end of the season. We've been there before.
Sakic was dealing with Landy and Grubauer

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Losing Rants without comparable return would be the official closing of the window.

We would likely still compete for the playoffs, but we would no longer be a true cup contending team.
good list of free agents and we would have his 9 mil to spend.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The problem with Dater is the usually he’s wrong. But he has connections so he’s right like 20% of the time so you can’t completely write off what he says.
Like the whole Nuke news... people railed him for that and hours later he was right. He's a dick, vindictive, and arrogant AF... but there are tidbits that are correct. He sill has somebody in the org feeding him.

Where I think the real disconnect lies is that Dater puts his opinion on top of the scoop. The scoop is Rants' camp may have cut off negotiations... then Dater steps into his opinion of him walking/trade (TBF could be the clickbait, I'm not paying for his substack).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lol if this shit was close it sure as f*** ain't after game 1.
Yeah unless Rants just wants to go to his agent and say 'lock me in for 8 years tomorrow' there is just no reason for them to cave. If this settles far below the market, it will be because Rants did the team a favor. Pretty large if.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Like the whole Nuke news... people railed him for that and hours later he was right. He's a dick, vindictive, and arrogant AF... but there are tidbits that are correct. He sill has somebody in the org feeding him.

Where I think the real disconnect lies is that Dater puts his opinion on top of the scoop. The scoop is Rants' camp may have cut off negotiations... then Dater steps into his opinion of him walking/trade (TBF could be the clickbait, I'm not paying for his substack).
I see what you did their GIF.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
No it wasn't. I was just pointing out that they aren't afraid to go to the limit even with core players.
And if you want to go further in history, they did the same with Sakic-Blake-Roy trio back in 2001. Was a close call, got done.

And a lot of other similar cases have got done too. From 2020's which players that are "borderline All-Stars" have left their teams for free? If we add there parameters like "team has cap space", "has no problematic relations within the team", "team is even reasonably competitive", "wasn't brought in as a rental" and "is still in his prime", which all applies to Rantanen, I think you really have to search to find them.

I'd be ready to bet Rantanen will be part of this team a year from now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad