Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wait, did I miss some narrative being established that the Avs aren't a very good team defensively? What in the hell.

They're very clearly a Top 10 and arguably Top 5 Defensive team. You can basically pick any way you want to look at it and it still breaks down to being well above average. Georgiev was basically the only thing holding them back from being top 5-10 in every category imaginable.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Are Finnish chicken wings just wings with ketchup?
thats nasty

Wait, did I miss some narrative being established that the Avs aren't a very good team defensively? What in the hell.

They're very clearly a Top 10 and arguably Top 5 Defensive team. You can basically pick any way you want to look at it and it still breaks down to being well above average. Georgiev was basically the only thing holding them back from being top 5-10 in every category imaginable.
Somehow people still have that narrative that we suck defensively, because we sucked for many years. It's like New Jersey is still the same trap team which was twenty years ago.

People are SLOW.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
A bit late to the party but IMO Makar's main issue defensively is that he plays too many minutes. The Avs needs to find a way to cut some of his minutes and IMO the PK minutes are the first that should go. I've said it before...PK is the most taxing on a player. I would argue that one minute of PK compares to at least 1.5 minute of 5v5.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We might be crazy but that's nuts.
I mean, I get that Swedish chefs fill my heart with job, largely due to the Muppets, but why is it that the mere idea of a Finnish chef, fills my soul with existential dread? Having married into a family with proud Norwegian heritiage I have actually had the displeasure of tasting both lutefisk and salted liquirice but the fascination with ketchup is just unnatural and more than a bit unsettling.

Like the way @henchman21 talks y'all up, it sounds like your idea of BBQ Chicken is just grilling chicken but absolutely slathering the shit out of it with nothing but ketchup. Like I've got this mental image now of y'all using ketchup instead of salt for seasoning and in replacement of mayonnaise in a cake when baking. It can't be that bad though... can it?

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean, I get that Swedish chefs fill my heart with job, largely due to the Muppets, but why is it that the mere idea of a Finnish chef, fills my soul with existential dread? Having married into a family with proud Norwegian heritiage I have actually had the displeasure of tasting both lutefisk and salted liquirice but the fascination with ketchup is just unnatural and more than a bit unsettling.

Like the way @henchman21 talks y'all up, it sounds like your idea of BBQ Chicken is just grilling chicken but absolutely slathering the shit out of it with nothing but ketchup. Like I've got this mental image now of y'all using ketchup instead of salt for seasoning and in replacement of mayonnaise in a cake when baking. It can't be that bad though... can it?
It’s more like reindeer heart smoked over juniper branches and slathered with ketchup instead of chicken.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Are Finnish chicken wings just wings with ketchup?
Baugh: Is there a Finnish food you miss while in the U.S.?

Rantanen: During Christmas, there are always some dishes that you never see here in the states. I’m not that good of a cook to make my own, so during Christmas, you miss some of those. Finnish chicken wings are actually pretty elite. (Link)
No confirmation on whether Rants takes them with ketchup though

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I was today years old when I found out this was a thing.

1722522617213.png

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was today years old when I found out this was a thing.

View attachment 898544
I'm absolutely spoiled by my wife's chicken wings. They are actually baked in stages and while the whole process takes 3 days (due to marination times throughout the process) the results are better than I deserve.

I will say this though, the fox logo is pretty damn cute. I'm not sure but I think it says something equivalent to best takeout.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I'm absolutely spoiled by my wife's chicken wings. They are actually baked in stages and while the whole process takes 3 days (due to marination times throughout the process) the results are better than I deserve.

I will say this though, the fox logo is pretty damn cute. I'm not sure but I think it says something equivalent to best takeout.
You are killing me. I love chicken wings!

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

That sounds amazing... I usually go with smoke, then deep fry finish, but I would love to try something like that (time permitting :laugh:)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That sounds amazing... I usually go with smoke, then deep fry finish, but I would love to try something like that (time permitting :laugh:)
I'll knock around tonight when I get home from work and see if I can find the recipe. Would be more than willing to share. More people that eat delicious food the better, and to be honest, baking them does result in a healthier product than deep fat frying while still getting a good crispy skin and all that Frank's RedHot Wings sauce and spices in the marinade.

The biggest problem is that when the mood hits you to have some, it takes three days to make. We haven't actually had them in a couple of years now because the chemo has robbed me of my dignity and caused me to wipe my ass with an ice-cream cone for about three days in addition to the uncontrollable sweating and dramatically increased heart rate that lasted for a few moments. Probably important for me to point out that these things never happened before cancer, or nobody will want to try the recipe.

:laugh: Of course, as I joked with my wife, there is a remote possibility these wings were the reason I got colon cancer.

Reactions: Avs91

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

There were folks here saying for many months that we were allowing too many high danger chances and any goalie would struggle with the Avs' defensive system this year.

Stats, of course, show very differently and we were consistently among the league leaders in lowest expected goals against.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Doesn't it suck though to go 3 days without eating while you are waiting for the wings to be ready? :sarcasm:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Doesn't it suck though to go 3 days without eating while you are waiting for the wings to be ready? :sarcasm:
It does. When I've made them, I've chosen to hide the ziplock back with the chicken and marinade in one of the crisper drawers so it's not sitting there in my face while resting overnight. *LOL*

I pretend it's like making scotch. If you want something that tastes good, it can sometimes take a while. Thankfully this is three days and not 10-20 years we're talking about here.

Ad

Ad

Ad