Rank these 4 players at their peak that you'd want in a 7 game playoff series

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Weird list of players considering two are wingers and two are centers and the two wingers played a different style.

Most would almost always default to a #1 center over a #1 winger so it's Datsyuk and Bergeron at the top. I would personally take a peak Datsyuk over a peak Bergeron.

As for Kariya vs Hossa, I didn't really see Kariya in his prime and Hossa is one of my all-time favorites so it's an unfair matchup personally.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
For ability I'm fine putting Kopitar behind Datsyuk. At their best - I'd say Datsyuk is better. But for actual resume - Kopitar was more consistent in the playoffs.

Datsyuk's playoff resume is simply not that great tbh. He was nothing special in the 2002 cup win - just a rookie it's true, but he was also already 23 years old.

He was outstaged by Zetterbeg in 2008. He didn't do too well in 2009 - I know he had some injury troubles, but 9 points in 16 games is just not good - he was 10th in team scoring.

113 playoff points in 157 games - that's not even a 60 points pace per 82 games.
For what it's worth - Bergeon actually provided more offense in playoffs than Datsyuk. 62 point pace per 82 games.

Bergeron is better defensively than Datsyuk.

Bergeron in his playoff career averages 62 points per 82 games. Datsyuk is at 59 points per 82 games - which means Bergeron also outmatched him offensively.

There's the rationale.
I would argue the following:

Looking at career playoff performance is not relevant, considering that this is about PEAK, so 1-3 years.

Zetterberg outclassed him in 2009, sure, but offensively Bergerons best playoff series always saw him getting outclassed offensively by 1-3 other players on his own team as well (Krejci, Marchand, Pasta etc).

In my opinion, at Datsyuk's peak, he was 90% of Bergerons defensive skill (winning Selke's too), and 130%+ of Bergerons offensive prowess. He was another tier of player than Bergeron was at his peak.

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
Datsyuk easily for me. He had it all, defense, offense, physicality. Thought he was a bit overhyped at some point, but seeing him years back on a daily basis at his absolute peak one could argue that he was on par with Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin. He was that good. Other options are one step behind imo.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
So what exactly is Datsyuks playoff peak?

2008? 22 points in 20 games. Outscored by his teammate by 5 points? Or 2009 - when he was 10th on team scoring?

If you combine the 2 years - he's 29th in playoff ppg for players with 10+ GP.

Like I said - Datsyuks's playoff are ~so-so, whether it's peak or career.
You’re looking at it wrong. He was first and foremost a defensive forward, and one of the best of all time at it. The offense was just a bonus.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
You can tell how old someone is in this thread based on where they put Kariya on their list.

Kariya
Datsyuk
Bergeron
Hossa

For me.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I feel like there's two major facets here being blended together.

1. The real peak of the player in playoffs (can ignore regular season).
2. The variation/consistency of the peaks of the player in the playoffs due to situation/injuries (again ignore regular season).

My list using 1 heavier than 2 is different than 2 heavier than 1. IMO some of the rankings already posted might change once certain posters realize they included regular season (player's overall) into their considerations.

IIRC/IMO Datsyuk and Bergeron were more consistent playoff performers but I don't recall them basically willing the win on their own. Hossa and Kariya had the higher peaks and drops (variations) and more instances where they'd take over the game and basically willing the win themself. Coincidentally the consistency also is parallel with centre vs wing.

If I don't trust my team, I'd add a Datsyuk/Bergeron heart to stabilize it depending if I need a consistent offense or defense catalyst more. If I trust my team but worry the opposition has a playbook to shut us down, I add a Kariya/Hossa one man army extra element to it to be able to mix things up depending if I need LW or RW.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Bergeron has had the most clutch moments out of all of them that I can remember. Game 7 vs Toronto in 2013. The Cup winner in 2011.

All of them, I'd say, were somewhat underwhelming in the playoffs compared to the regular season, Datsyuk especially.

Bergeron
Hossa
Datsyuk
Kariya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad