Larry Brooks: Rangers will be selling

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Good, but flawed roster with really good young components playing an asinine system because the coach is a moron for two years? Trade your captains and best skater.

Brilliant.

Reactions: Machinehead

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He's been in the organization since 2007. His hands and his footprint are on this roster already. He's been the GM for almost three years. This is his team now. It's time to start putting some of the blame on him.

But the fact that we're still blaming Sather for the 2015 draft tells me all I need to know. Gorton is some untouchable god on here solely because his name isn't Glen Sather.

I'm not convinced.

Yup, thats exactly what I said. All hail Gorton!

He's OK in my book for the moment for even convincing his superiors to go this route.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why do you think trading McDonagh automatically signals a new dark age for 7-10 years?

A rebuild could be accomplished immediately depending on the returns.

Most scorched earth rebuilds fail miserably.

Everyone finally gets their wish thinking we'll be Chicago, and we more likely end up Edmonton.

What about the last 80 years indicates they get this right?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Where are these really good young components? In your mind?
I’ve stated my case on this numerous times these past few weeks, and we’ve already disagreed. I don’t hey don’t need a fire sale to rectify this roster. I am perfectly ok with them being bad for a year so they can add another young talent, but first and foremost, they need to stop playing stupid defensive hockey and being over reliant on Hank/goalies.

Now part of this is me being hotheaded, snarky, and reactionary, but we’ve seen all of these kids be successful at every stage of hockey they’ve played. I’ll remain adamant that they’re drastically underperforming relative to their talent level. If Gorton can readily replicate Brassard-esque trades for these people, then fine. Go check my history, and you’ll see me with proposals for Zucc and McD. If he can bring in a dman of Hanafin’s caliber and a recent drafted player like Kostin or Fabbro, you won’t hear a peep from me. I’m willing to have this discussion with you, but you’re going to have to meet me in the middle on this one.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why do you think trading McDonagh automatically signals a new dark age for 7-10 years?

A rebuild could be accomplished immediately depending on the returns.

Probably because hes been dug in on this roster being better than it actually is for almost 3 seasons, so why stop now?

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
If only Brooks was credible. He has been making up controversial stories his entire career. Makes for fun reading but I wouldn't take what he writes to the bank. Yes the tea leaves indicate what he says is true but let's not book it just yet.

Personally I think trading Zuc and McD makes a lot of sense if the return justifies it, along with the expiring contracts. We have a decent young core but few good prospects, so overall not enough young depth talent, esp. losing some of the current core. Time to give up on the King era and get ready for the Igor era. That is likely when we can next have a realistic run at the Cup. I think only 2 seasons away!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Good, but flawed roster with really good young components playing an asinine system because the coach is a moron for two years? Trade your captains and best skater.

Brilliant.
This.

This group is closer to being good, just with a few roster tweaks and a new coach, than they are of needing to trade their best forward and defenseman.

Plus I don't trust Gorton or anyone in the Rangers' front office to pull this off. Especially if he keeps AV.

Not to mention, we're the Rangers. The New York Rangers.

We sell, our picks are guaranteed to be busts. We will get a Puujarvi and Holland with our first rounders. Our pick will move back as far as possible in the lottery.

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Murphy's Law is the only constant with the Rangers.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The strangest thing about all this is that Dolan apparently is with them on this. I mean it’s awesome, but I thought Dolan would be the last man to be fine with a rebuild..

Dolan has 1000000% trust and faith in Sather...he will do whatever him/Gorton want.

Dolan is a businessman and knows that successful regular seasons, and more so, deep playoff runs are what make him the most money. The need to rebuild now for the short term will lead to long term benefits down the road.

If they do sell, the goal is to put together a refreshed roster that can compete and try to get Hank a cup in the next 3-4 seasons, which can also retain a core to take them beyond that and into the Shestyorkin era.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Probably because hes been dug in on this roster being better than it actually is for almost 3 seasons, so why stop now?

Bullshit.

Prime cut 100 proof fried f***ing bullshit.

I've been more critical of this team than anyone.

Regardless, trading a prime #1 defenseman is insanity. This isn't Brian Leetch in his late 30's. (And does everyone need to be reminded that the Leetch return was a dumpster fire?)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I’ve stated my case on this numerous times these past few weeks, and we’ve already disagreed. I don’t hey don’t need a fire sale to rectify this roster. I am perfectly ok with them being bad for a year so they can add another young talent, but first and foremost, they need to stop playing stupid defensive hockey and being over reliant on Hank/goalies.

Now part of this is me being hotheaded, snarky, and reactionary, but we’ve seen all of these kids be successful at every stage of hockey they’ve played. I’ll remain adamant that they’re drastically underperforming relative to their talent level. If Gorton can readily replicate Brassard-esque trades for these people, then fine. Go check my history, and you’ll see me with proposals for Zucc and McD. If he can bring in a dman of Hanafin’s caliber and a recent drafted player like Kostin or Fabbro, you won’t hear a peep from me. I’m willing to have this discussion with you, but you’re going to have to meet me in the middle on this one.

I mean, Nash and Grabner have to go. No brainer. McDonagh and Zuccarello are a tougher pill to swallow, but would bring back the most value. Are we going to pay those guys big time money well into their 30's? I dont think so.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Bull****.

Prime cut 100 proof fried ****ing bull****.

I've been more critical of this team than anyone.

Regardless, trading a prime #1 defenseman is insanity. This isn't Brian Leetch in his late 30's. (And does everyone need to be reminded that the Leetch return was a dumpster fire?)

Your opinion is straight up silly without knowing the return. And I think the article is quite clear that McDonagh won't be going at the deadline unless its a big time haul.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad