Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ stars | 8:30pm | MSG 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
People somehow manage to underrate the crap out of Fox I think because his skating isn’t a standout feature and people are more wowed by shiny things like that, and he’s still currently playing behind DeAngelo offensively which isn’t surprising because DeAngelo is also immensely talented offensively and has several years and age in development on Fox
As much as Fox has room to improve offensively, ADA can improve defensively. I think he's playing positionally compromised because of Staal a lot of times.

Fox is good enough moving the puck but has the benefit of Lindgren.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
People somehow manage to underrate the crap out of Fox I think because his skating isn’t a standout feature and people are more wowed by shiny things like that, and he’s still currently playing behind DeAngelo offensively which isn’t surprising because DeAngelo is also immensely talented offensively and has several years and age in development on Fox
agreed

fox manages to be probably the 2nd-3rd highest thought of player on NYR but still be underrated lol

Reactions: Captain Lindy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wonder when they will sign him. i hope the price is decent for both parties. I wonder why it is not done yet.

You might be answering your own question there - the price point is probably not “decent”, i.e. there’s a gap between what team thinks is fair and what Fast’s camp is asking.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Quinn senses the urgency and opportunity he has with Shesterkin starting he should play every game the rest of the way. It’s really not a bad schedule. Two days off after tonight 2 days off prior to last nights game then you literally play every other day the rest of the way. Guys love that. At least till the back to back on April 1st. But even then it’s down to the wire here. Shesterkin hasn’t played a ton of hockey this year. You ride him till you clinch

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No ones even talking about the best player on the team- brett howden.

Jokes aside Howden has pulled together a decent string of pretty good games - the type of performance I personally expected from him from the start of the season (and it was very disappointing that it wasn’t happening) but better later then never.

Also, hopefully without creating a big back-and-forth, the Howden’s string of games is something unfortunately we’ve never seen from Andersson (who I heard is doing wonderful in his own right... in the SHL).

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
As much as Fox has room to improve offensively, ADA can improve defensively. I think he's playing positionally compromised because of Staal a lot of times.

Fox is good enough moving the puck but has the benefit of Lindgren.

ADA does have some defensive deficiencies. He does he need a better defensive partner IMO and the forwards as a whole have to back check better. Goalies have bailed out this poor defense a lot.

Reactions: leetch99

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Their passing during that one sequence in the second period looked like the Globetrotters on ice. I had to pinch myself to make sure it was the NY Rangers out there doing this.

Good win and now onto Denver to get another one.

surprised at what happened last night. Dallas must be looking at each other and in the mirror asking themselves “what was that?”. They couldn’t catch or lineup the Rangers. They were chasing which looked awkward.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
excellent match against a good team.

it's honestly a shame how many once-in-a-decade things are happening for this team and we may not even make the playoffs.

It's really one of the best years, points wise, for many individual players in Ranger history.

Them not making the playoffs seems to be because of mathematical improbabilities more than anything else, i.e. not losing enough in OT or in shootouts.

Sad thing is, 3 games, the LA game early in the season where Hank shit the bed, Buffalo, and the Devils. 6 points and we're talking about an outside shot at WINNING the Metro.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's been a mixed bag since the Carolina game.

Horrible start but strong finish vs SJ and MTL

Horrible from Start to finish vs NYI, NJD and PHI pt 1

Deserved better vs PHI pt 2 and STL

40 minutes of domination vs DAL

Mika Vs WSH.

That NJD loss is going to bite them in the ass. It's one thing to lose to really strong teams, but that was the gimmie of all gimmies left on their schedule and they pissed away 2 points.
To be fair though, NJD are playing decent hockey... The whole team was atrocious though. The 2nd period was the worst period of the entire season

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Jokes aside Howden has pulled together a decent string of pretty good games - the type of performance I personally expected from him from the start of the season (and it was very disappointing that it wasn’t happening) but better later then never.

Also, hopefully without creating a big back-and-forth, the Howden’s string of games is something unfortunately we’ve never seen from Andersson (who I heard is doing wonderful in his own right... in the SHL).

I'm tired of the Howden hate. If Kakko and Chytil continue to develop, that's a really good third line as long as they get stronger defensively.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They are the youngest team in the league with a ton of new faces. It was going to take some time to develop into a team.

then when they were playing some really good hockey the goaltending failed them. For about a month to 6 weeks before Shesterkin came up our goaltending was ranked at the bottom of the league in most metrics while the team was trending really well otherwise.

Shesterkin balanced that out and sure enough we went on a big time run.

but then the accident and losing Kreider puts us in a 1-4 hole that hurts those playoff chances again.

I have zero doubt that we’re better than the islanders blue jackets hurricanes and penguins. We have more regulation wins than 25 26 other teams I believe. That tells a real story of how good you are. But not getting those loser points adds up too

Reactions: NCRanger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To be fair though, NJD are playing decent hockey... The whole team was atrocious though. The 2nd period was the worst period of the entire season

NJ has been getting their teeth kicked in and were carried by a hot 7 game stretch via Blackwood (who is falling back to earth.)

We should have steamrolled them.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Howden has played much better lately for sure. Good sign there.

I rather him on the PP than Lemieux if it came down to it

I rather have Gauthier given a look although Howden over Lemieux wouldn't be so bad either, since his former coach did give Gauthier tape of Kreider to watch, it would make the most sense.

Reactions: duhmetreE

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
They are the youngest team in the league with a ton of new faces. It was going to take some time to develop into a team.

then when they were playing some really good hockey the goaltending failed them. For about a month to 6 weeks before Shesterkin came up our goaltending was ranked at the bottom of the league in most metrics while the team was trending really well otherwise.

Shesterkin balanced that out and sure enough we went on a big time run.

but then the accident and losing Kreider puts us in a 1-4 hole that hurts those playoff chances again.

I have zero doubt that we’re better than the islanders blue jackets hurricanes and penguins. We have more regulation wins than 25 26 other teams I believe. That tells a real story of how good you are. But not getting those loser points adds up too

Individual statistics alone, the Rangers are a playoff team. Panarin will be over 100, Mika has a shot at 85 in just over 60 games. TWO defensemen over 40, and maybe over fifty. Kreider would have been over 30 goals. Just look at how many players over 30 assists.

Sure, this team needs to get better defensively. Can't bleed so many shots against.

That said, Lundqvist has killed them. Even if he provided Georgiev-level goaltending, the playoffs wouldn't even be in question. I'm sure there are going to be people here that are going to get upset about me appearing to blame Hank for the entire season. I'm NOT, just saying if he was league average, this would be a very successful season.

Reactions: MetalJaws

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It was both hank and Georgiev. While they played relatively well early on they were atrocious during that long stretch of 500 hockey. As soon as Shesterkin came up we saw what we were really capable of with a legit number one nhl goaltender. If he doesn’t have the accident I have no doubt we’re pushing the Pens for third in the metro.

but make no mistake we have some really dangerous weapons and a very good goalie. That alone can cause a lot of problems for the competition in a playoff series

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
All of our goalies have been above average this season.

Nobody thinks that maybe our historically bad defense over the first half of the season probably torpedoed the contributions from the top of the lineup? Michael Haley and Brendan Smith were 2/3s of our fourth line FFS.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
That said, Lundqvist has killed them. Even if he provided Georgiev-level goaltending, the playoffs wouldn't even be in question. I'm sure there are going to be people here that are going to get upset about me appearing to blame Hank for the entire season. I'm NOT, just saying if he was league average, this would be a very successful season.

This is just plain wrong. I dont want to post the stats for the 100th time proving Hank was at the very least playing "Georgiev-level goaltending".

Hank is already done as a Ranger and we have our new elite goaltender for hopefully many years to come. We dont need to spread bullshit factoids like this to keep recency bias rolling. Just stop it.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm tired of the Howden hate. If Kakko and Chytil continue to develop, that's a really good third line as long as they get stronger defensively.

You and me both, seems as though some people focus on one guy to hate all night and nitpick any perceived mistake no matter how things evolved before that. Howden has been good. He gets a lot of flack, much like Trouba and Strome.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All of our goalies have been above average this season.

Nobody thinks that maybe our historically bad defense over the first half of the season probably torpedoed the contributions from the top of the lineup? Michael Haley and Brendan Smith were 2/3s of our fourth line FFS.

this just isn’t true. Yes thru thanksgiving they were both propping this team up. They were both very good but something changed. The team got ALOT better but weren’t winning any games. This continued until the Shesterkin call up. During that time our goaltending ranked in the bottom 3 or 4 in most metrics. Both hank and Georgie were playing horrible hockey and actually playing way worse as the team improved.

when Shesterkin came up we combined good team play that had been working for weeks on end with little results and a very good goaltender. The results were wins and a lot of them. We went on a run. Shesterkin gets hurt, frick and frack come back in and we’re a 500 team at best again. Timely saves gone. Bad goals up. And losses piled on.

this is not a great defensive team by any means. But they are very dangerous offensively From the forwards and the back end especially with a lead. And if they get elite goaltending we’ll 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No ones even talking about the best player on the team- brett howden.
He really has settled in nicely playing on the wing. Obviously Center was a little too much to handle. Maybe someday he will be a center again, but certainly has to be better on FO's.
Yes, we can all agree he didn't play well at first, but coupled with the direct disappointment in his game was WHO we have up, and I believe we all just wanted to see MORE RESULTS from players that came out way. Hayek being guilty as well.
We have no choice but to believe "no wonder TB gave them to us willingly ".
We wanted instant gratification, but maybe now realize they BOTH weren't ready and maybe more of a project in the works. He has been MUCH MORE prominent in games lately, maybe he will get a few more before seasons end.
My bet is 5. Yes, he gets hot and very important goals at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad