Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The issue if he does this is the NYR can still waive him. Maybe no one takes his full hit, but does he really want to spin that carnival wheel vs working w the NYR to find a trade?
Right they can, but trouba's agent's job is to know the league and Kurt has proven for decades to be ruthless for his clients. If trouba is NYC or nothing for his own personal or family reasons then is it better to him to roll the dice that no one claims him and he stays? What are the odds he gets claimed? 5-10 percent max? Is he better to just take the 9 to 1 that he can stay in nyr and force them to allow him to stay or buy him out?

Kurt isn't stupid, he knows that NYR doesn't want dead 2m on their cap for four years with the extensions that are coming up, and NYR doesn't want the mess of buying out their captain. This situation may be trending towards a mess as it is but trouba can quietly kill this with his structured list and then everything slowly fades.

The mistake nyr made was leaking this trade to brooks hoping to get more people involved to lower the retention by drumming up more interest. It backfired on them bc now Jake and Kurt can just play the ntc list game to make it harder on Drury...

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If trouba is going to leave Detroit off his list then there is no reason this HAS to wait for Monday.

If trouba doesn't want to leave NYR then all he and his agent need to do it's build out his nt list to tie Drury. It's not that hard to id 16 teams throughout the league that probably wouldn't trade for him anyways. So all he needs to do is add the 15 other teams to his list that might trade for him and then Drury is locked.

If trouba doesn't want to be traded he just submits a list like this
Ntc Anaheim
Boston
Ntc Buffalo
Ntc Calgary
Carolina
Ntc Chicago
Colorado
Ntc Columbus
Dallas
Ntc Detroit
Edmonton
Florida
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Ntc Montreal
Ntc Nashville
New Jersey
NYI
Ntc Ottawa
Ntc Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Ntc St. Louis
Ntc San Jose
Seattle
Tampa
Ntc Toronto
Ntc Utah
Ntc Washington
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas

I've virtually landlocked him into staying in NYR by accounting for teams available cap space for his contract, team need for the position, team focus on analytics, and just using a brain about who would/wouldn't actually add him (like Winnipeg isn't trading for him).
I have a hard time believing players do this.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We know that drury and Trouba’s met already (per Kaplan.) I would think that he knows/knew where Trouba stood after that convo.

That doesn’t mean that JT can’t or won’t change his mind but if he made it clear that he didn’t want to move, there’s no real
Need to pursue a conversation with another team.

I bet his wife doesn’t want to leave

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Trouba probably is shocked. Can't blame the guy. He got the "C" two years ago.

That being said, it's the right move for the Rangers. The guy hasn't been good since, shit, season 2 of him being here? If they can move him and retain 2M+, or whatever, they have to do it.

They can't pay 3.6M for a 4th liner and 8M for a 5/6 D and expect to win anything. I'm not even sure he's a 5/6 after that last series. He was burnt toast.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I love this from Drury, no one get too comfortable. I’m an optimist but y’all haven’t won shit yet. guess what Igor, if breaking the bank is what you want most, you can go too. If these guys want to solidifying their time here and make demands, win a Cup. Guys who won more in other places are getting shown the door as well. You ain’t special.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I love this from Drury, no one get too comfortable. I’m an optimist but y’all haven’t won shit yet. guess what Igor, if breaking the bank is what you want most, you can go too. If these guys want to solidifying their time here and make demands, win a Cup. Guys who won more in other places are getting shown the door as well. You ain’t special.
Damn, this is the good stuff right here

Reactions: McRanger92

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Players get traded all the time even when they're "unmovable."

There are 34 teams in the league now. That would be a massive gamble to have 19 teams that you very well may not want to go to selected as your options purely based on cap space.
Oh I completely agree. But it doesn’t change the fact that the practice is becoming somewhat commonplace in other sports.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
As much as I love Drury being cut throat with trying to get the team better. And also, trying to keep a meritocracy. There is a flipside to the goody and Trouba situation. The flipside to a front office that gets a reputation as not showing loyalty to players is that players are less likely to give teams any kind of hometown discount. Shesty asking for nearly 13 mil. Laffy deciding to hold off on contract negotiations til next year. Of course those examples may not add up to the point I'm making. Truly. But it does make one wonder.

Why isn't Laffy wanting to negotiate if the team is ready to throw the bag at him?

Why isn't Shesty willing to cut the team a discount to help build a championship squad around him?

Is it a lack of trust?

I dunno. But I guess I'm far more concerned about the Shesty and Laffy situations than I am about the Trouba situation.

Reactions: gump116

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Why would Drury let the Detroit interest be made public? It allows Trouba to put Detroit on his list.

Because it looks like while Drury is moving him he's atleast trying to get him back to Michigan. Imo this implies, hey, we're sending you somewhere you would want to be, the alternative is waivers where you could go anywhere

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Players get traded all the time even when they're "unmovable."

There are 34 teams in the league now. That would be a massive gamble to have 19 teams that you very well may not want to go to selected as your options purely based on cap space.
too-many-counting.gif

34?

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
As much as I love Drury being cut throat with trying to get the team better. And also, trying to keep a meritocracy. There is a flipside to the goody and Trouba situation. The flipside to a front office that gets a reputation as not showing loyalty to players is that players are less likely to give teams any kind of hometown discount. Shesty asking for nearly 13 mil. Laffy deciding to hold off on contract negotiations til next year. Of course those examples may not add up to the point I'm making. Truly. But it does make one wonder.

Why isn't Laffy wanting to negotiate if the team is ready to throw the bag at him?

Why isn't Shesty willing to cut the team a discount to help build a championship squad around him?

Is it a lack of trust?

I dunno. But I guess I'm far more concerned about the Shesty and Laffy situations than I am about the Trouba situation.
Laffy isn’t negotiating because any good agent isn’t going to let him negotiate after a season when he wasn’t given 1st PP time. Because if you add 20 easy PP points to his annual totals, he’s likely due for $3m more per season.

That’s just smart business and has nothing to do with loyalty. And of course NYR wants to lock him into a deal before they give him 1st PP time. Also smart on their end.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Is it a lack of trust?

They gave a 5 mil player 8 mil a year, the captaincy and a modified ntc, they more than held up their end of the bargain.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Laffy isn’t negotiating because any good agent isn’t going to let him negotiate after a season when he wasn’t given 1st PP time. Because if you add 20 easy PP points to his annual totals, he’s likely due for $3m more per season.

That’s just smart business and has nothing to do with loyalty. And of course NYR wants to lock him into a deal before they give him 1st PP time. Also smart on their end.
Also why negotiate now? Wait until next season after the 25-26 cap is announced and you see the growth rate. There are a lot of rumors the league is keeping the cap lower than it could have actually gone and it might explode within the next two years. You may be hitting 100m sooner than people realized. Stupid shit like jersey ads and digital boards ads has helped take money in for the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad