Rangers Raise “Regular season Champions” banner.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Rangers (MSG) also have a banner for Phish playing 13 concerts a few years ago but do not honor any Rangers before Andy Bathgate or Harry Howell…nothing for Frank Boucher, Lester Patrick or Leah Hextall’s grandfather..or even Emile Francis. Far more offensive than the wording on this banner to me.

Didn’t the Islanders once get special permission to hang a banner when they had the playoff upsets in 1993 for division champ…they raffled off to a fan when they moved to Barclays in Brooklyn IIRC.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It’s not for seeding. The seeding would be the same whether or not the trophy itself exists.
Exactly, i edited my post btw.

You get nothing for being “being regular season champions” you get home ice for wining the division. I’m arguing against “regular season champions” not for it. The regular season is for playoff seeding, not winning the presidents trophy.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Montreal and Toronto have lots of banners for winning a 6 team division in the rafters.
I think there is a 48 year gap in MSG for the Rangers finishing first in a 6 team league or 5 team Patrick division…1942-1990. That may be more embarrassing

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think there is a 48 year gap in MSG for the Rangers finishing first in a 6 team league or 5 team Patrick division…1942-1990. That may be more embarrassing
Personally as an 1986 born person, i dont give much weight to anything in the O6 era. The rangers have been the far more successful franchise than both the Canadians and Maple Leafs in the modern era, which i think holds more weight than success in the O6 era. Players are better today, coaching is better and the game is more of a science today than in the past.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Personally as an 1986 born person, i dont give much weight to anything in the O6 era. The rangers have been the far more successful franchise than both the Canadians and Maple Leafs in the modern era, which i think holds more weight than success in the O6 era. Players are better today, coaching is better and the game is more of a science today than in the past.
really-davvero.gif

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Division championships are more accepted than regular season championships in terms of wording. You actually win something tangible for winning a division, you get home ice. You dont win anything for being “regular season champions” just a trophy that no players actually wants to win, and it usually a curse as most “regular season champions” dont fair well in the playoffs. Regular season championships is tack because no one wins the regular season. It’s for seeding for the playoffs which are the championships of the NHL. I have no issue with banners, i have issue with ‘regular season champions” on banners.

*Ive never been to Edmonton, I live in Ottawa.

Um, you guarantee yourself home ice in every round, including the finals if you make it. Something you don't get if you are the division winner.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Um, you guarantee yourself home ice in every round, including the finals if you make it. Something you don't get if you are the division winner.
Something that’s happened 8 times in 38 years and the last time it happened was over a decade ago. Usually “regular season champions” dont win Stanley cups, the real championship of the NHL. So sure, lets call them “champions” for winning the regular season.

This isn’t soccer.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Something that’s happened 8 times in 38 years and the last time it happened was over a decade ago. Usually “regular season champions” dont win Stanley cups, the real championship of the NHL. So sure, lets call them “champions” for winning the regular season.

This isn’t soccer.
Completely disregarding what I said you to. Ok.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It seems to me an accomplishment worthy of a banner. It is, after all, a NHL championship trophy...on par with the Stanley Cup and more prestigious than the Prince of Wales Trophy and Campbell Bowl awarded for playoff conference championships.

Lots of teams are unworthy. They fail to win. They are never regular season champions. They are never the regular season runner-up. They are never Stanley Cup champions. They are never Stanley Cup finalists. They simply embrace their putrid mediocrity. Those are the pretenders deserving of scorn and mockery.

I'm reading this wrong, right?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It seems to me an accomplishment worthy of a banner. It is, after all, a NHL championship trophy...on par with the Stanley Cup and more prestigious than the Prince of Wales Trophy and Campbell Bowl awarded for playoff conference championships.

Lots of teams are unworthy. They fail to win. They are never regular season champions. They are never the regular season runner-up. They are never Stanley Cup champions. They are never Stanley Cup finalists. They simply embrace their putrid mediocrity. Those are the pretenders deserving of scorn and mockery.
Only 8 presidents trophy winners have won the cup in the last 38 years, Well 39 now. The last time was over a decade ago.

The Stanley cup is the championship trophy of the NHL. The presidents trophy is a participation trophy.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ultimately it's no different from a President's Trophy banner, but admittedly the phrasing does come off as easy to mock. That's just not a phrase that really anyone associates with the best regular season record in North American sports.

And don't get me wrong, if you think that we should make a bigger deal about the best regular season records in sports, I think you could make a very rational argument to that effect. But in the USA and Canada, that's just not how it's ever been and the legwork to make sports fandom overall care about securing a first seeding other than in hoping for better matchups in the playoffs clearly leaves much to the imagination.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad