Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Greenville won last night, 5-4 in a shootout, despite allowing 51 shots on goal. I don't know what the hell kind of system they play down there but apparently it preaches offense, offense, and only offense while completely throwing defensive play to the wind. They've scored 81 goals in 19 games (4.26 per), most in the league; they've allowed 73 goals (3.84 per), which is third worst in the league. So, the average Greenville game features over 8 goals total, which is bonkers. Their HC is Brian Gratz, a retired goalie. Maybe he was like Richter and did better with more shots coming his way, and preaches his team to let the opponent fire away. :laugh:

Zborovskiy had a secondary assist giving him 5+7=12 in 19 games. That's good in a vacuum but hard to put into context, particularly when you have a dead tree trunk in Brendan Kotyk with 5+4 in the same amount of games. I guess we'll have to wait until there are some defensive injuries or call-ups on D in Hartford to see where Zborovskiy is at.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd always prefer to err on a side of caution. He will be on a completely different page from the rest of the players in many ways and you are making an awfully big assumption on the state of the Rangers. It's likely that the team will be right in the middle of playoff spot contention. On the other hand there would be no pressure whatsoever to produce in Hartford, he would just need to focus on acclimating to NA hockey. This is more like an early prep for the following 18-19 season.

This reminds me of Lundqvist in 2005 and Brodeur in 1993 saying they are not sure if they will even make the NHL, just hoping to become the backup to Weekes and Terreri.

The day Shesterkin comes here, he will instantly compete with the aging Lundqvist. Obviously Hank will get the advantage, just as Weekes had it until he got injured even when it was obvious that Hank is better than Weekes. Proven vets always have the upper hand over rookies. But Shesterkin will make a strong case for himself in the rookie season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The ECHL is not bad for a 20 yr old defensive defenseman. Goalies take the longest, forwards fastest, defensemen in the middle. Defensive D take longer than offensive D. Basically, the closer the player is to his own net, the fewer men can cover for him, the longer he will take because his mistakes are more likely to result in goals against, and conversely his good plays are less likely to result in goals for since he's further from the opposing net.

The one thing I want to know about Zboro is how skating looks against the pros. I am confident enough in his defensive game that I have no doubt he looks good on defense at the ECHL level. I have no doubt his ECHL points will NOT translate in the NHL, and probably not even in the AHL. I suspect/hope he's putting up ECHL points because he's smart and just generally a better player than other ECHL guys, but there's no way he's getting PP time in the AHL, like he's now getting in the Swamp.

The one thing that keeps a kid like him out of the NHL is skating. He will be in the AHL sooner than later, I suspect. I will post my thoughts on his games there.

Reactions: belford222

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
This reminds me of Lundqvist in 2005 and Brodeur in 1993 saying they are not sure if they will even make the NHL, just hoping to become the backup to Weekes and Terreri.

The day Shesterkin comes here, he will instantly compete with the aging Lundqvist. Obviously Hank will get the advantage, just as Weekes had it until he got injured even when it was obvious that Hank is better than Weekes. Proven vets always have the upper hand over rookies. But Shesterkin will make a strong case for himself in the rookie season.

That post was in reference to Tkachev. I don't think anyone is disputing what you said about Shesterkin.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think the latter is much of a possibility.

Other than that, I don't know. He's said he wants to play in the NHL and said he wants to play with Lundqvist, who is his idol.

I think he probably plays one more season after this one in Russia, so likely joins in 2019-2020. Could also join a year earlier if he wants to buy out the final year of his contract or maybe he stays longer in Russia, like his good friend Sorokin is doing.

The Rangers should push for him to be over next season. It's time to start the transition. Lundqvist will be on the final 3 years of his contract. 3 years with Hank as his mentor and Allaire as his coach.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I want to see Huska and Wall in Hartford as the 1 2 like yesterday. neither are in good situations. Huska playing for a lousy program and Wall not getting the net. both should come out of school. in a year or so we'll have 3 pretty solid goalies here with shesterkin huska and wall. I think shesterkin stays another year then we'll see who earns the job along side hank who prob has one more year after this one as the clear cut number one for this team.

huska is still my guy

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd always prefer to err on a side of caution. He will be on a completely different page from the rest of the players in many ways and you are making an awfully big assumption on the state of the Rangers. It's likely that the team will be right in the middle of playoff spot contention. On the other hand there would be no pressure whatsoever to produce in Hartford, he would just need to focus on acclimating to NA hockey. This is more like an early prep for the following 18-19 season.

I am assuming, but given that we are now going to begin an unknown stretch of games without our best player so far this season, and how much difficult our second half of the season schedule is, we might be "in the race", but I don't think we'll be making the playoffs. I think we'll have an idea though of the plan from Gorton by the end of Tkachyov's season, the NHL trade deadline and Vladivostok's season both end at the end of February.

I hope he joins the organization, where exactly he starts is not as important as getting him signed. Maybe he starts in Hartford for a few weeks, and then joins the NHL team for the last few weeks, if we aren't in contention. I would prefer that these players, whether its Tkachyov, Chytil, Lettieri, Graves, Pionk, maybe even Andersson can get some more games in if we are out of contention before next season. I think it would help them, even if it was just 5 NHL games, as opposed to going into next season with 0 NHL games or like 1 or 2.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Virta was scoreless today in 20 minutes of action. Reunanen, as noted, is now down in Mestis, and should make his debut tomorrow.

Lakatos was not in the lineup for Liberec. I don't know if it was a scratch or if he's still on loan to the second tier WSM Liga side. Either way, the situation seems to be getting worse for him. Maybe the Rangers can broker a move for him--assuming he wants a move. Hard to understand how a guy could be such a force in the playoffs, then eight months later and he can't even find a spot on his team or in the league.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ty Ronning had a goal, 8 SOG and was the games 1st star.

Tim Gettinger was held off the scoresheet but had 5 SOG as Soo won.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Greenville won last night, 5-4 in a shootout, despite allowing 51 shots on goal. I don't know what the hell kind of system they play down there but apparently it preaches offense, offense, and only offense while completely throwing defensive play to the wind. They've scored 81 goals in 19 games (4.26 per), most in the league; they've allowed 73 goals (3.84 per), which is third worst in the league. So, the average Greenville game features over 8 goals total, which is bonkers. Their HC is Brian Gratz, a retired goalie. Maybe he was like Richter and did better with more shots coming his way, and preaches his team to let the opponent fire away. :laugh:

Zborovskiy had a secondary assist giving him 5+7=12 in 19 games. That's good in a vacuum but hard to put into context, particularly when you have a dead tree trunk in Brendan Kotyk with 5+4 in the same amount of games. I guess we'll have to wait until there are some defensive injuries or call-ups on D in Hartford to see where Zborovskiy is at.

The Greatest Show On Ice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What happened to cause Wall to lose his starting job to an overclassman that barely played the 2 years prior?
He had a couple mediocre starts right at the beginning, then an awful game where he allowed 4 goals on 6 shots I believe, then a crappy start, then another where he had to be pulled early. Ghastly numbers through five starts. And the other dude has been putting up fantastic numbers since the moment he had to first spell Wall. So they've been riding the hot hand and Wall evidently has been unable to force his way back into the net for a start.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hold the phone. Ryan Gropp scored twice in an OT loss to the Marlies and has 4-1-5 in his last six. Looks like it was a run-and-gun game. Havent watched much of the Pack this year but I saw they are tied for last in goals against but have one of the better power plays.

I watched Vancouver-Prince George last night for Roman, who centers Ronning and Morrison. The latter two have a ton of chemistry and made a couple of sweet plays together. If you asked me, I'd say Roman is criminally underrated. He was all over the ice, running the top PP, mans the top PK, takes all the key draws, hustles nonstop etc. He leads WHL rookies in scoring although the WHL draft crop is one of the weakest in years. His numbers might be inflated by playing with two overagers but if the Rangers are watching Ronning I'd be shocked if they didn't come away impressed with Roman.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hold the phone. Ryan Gropp scored twice in an OT loss to the Marlies and has 4-1-5 in his last six. Looks like it was a run-and-gun game. Havent watched much of the Pack this year but I saw they are tied for last in goals against but have one of the better power plays.

I watched Vancouver-Prince George last night for Roman, who centers Ronning and Morrison. The latter two have a ton of chemistry and made a couple of sweet plays together. If you asked me, I'd say Roman is criminally underrated. He was all over the ice, running the top PP, mans the top PK, takes all the key draws, hustles nonstop etc. He leads WHL rookies in scoring although the WHL draft crop is one of the weakest in years. His numbers might be inflated by playing with two overagers but if the Rangers are watching Ronning I'd be shocked if they didn't come away impressed with Roman.

How was Ronning? Does he look considerably better or benefiting mostly from an extra year in the WHL?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
How was Ronning? Does he look considerably better or benefiting mostly from an extra year in the WHL?

He's a player. Typical dominant overager who the other team can't slow down. Size shouldn't be a factor at all and he has a pro-shot and accuracy.

Problem is history isn't on his side. I know the league is becoming a haven for smaller players and drafts are more focused on NHL readiness, but five-year CHLers becoming quality NHLers is next to impossible. Look at Adam Brooks -- back to back 120-points seasons in the Dub; first year in the AHL has 2 points in 16 games. He's just one of dozens of past 5-year types.

The only five-year WHL forwards of significance I can conjure up are Troy Brouwer, Josh Green and Erik Christiansen. Maybe Cracknell too. But that's out of over a hundred past or present WHLers that suited up for five seasons.

I don't like the CHL crop the the last two drafts, and the North American-trained CHL forwards for 2018 can't touch the Euro Imports. There are some Canadian-based rankings that have the highest Canadian-born CHL forward taken in the late 1st. That's bananas to me and would set an ominous precedent for Canadian major junior. I have Veleno very high because I think he can play, but seems like everyone in Canada has already soured on him (even though he's on a bad team but still 2nd in the QMJHL in assists).

I think Ronning being doubted and left off Team Canada events has motivated him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
SteveK- Good post on Ronning and all points are definitely fair.

If he can bring that speedy game to the NHL I just hope that he will do well. It’s wishful thinking, but I am getting higher and higher on Ronning. The speed game is transforming extremely well to the NHL, much more so than just 2-3 years ago. Can he do what Bourque wasn’t able to?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
My wife and I are moving and I am cleaning out. I have the annual Hockey News Draft Previews going back to 1989. If someone wants some or all of them and is willing to pay the shipping let me know. Otherwise they are going into recycling pile. I just didn't want to get rid of them without seeing if someone had an interest.

Reactions: lucky13

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's a player. Typical dominant overager who the other team can't slow down. Size shouldn't be a factor at all and he has a pro-shot and accuracy.

Problem is history isn't on his side. I know the league is becoming a haven for smaller players and drafts are more focused on NHL readiness, but five-year CHLers becoming quality NHLers is next to impossible. Look at Adam Brooks -- back to back 120-points seasons in the Dub; first year in the AHL has 2 points in 16 games. He's just one of dozens of past 5-year types.

The only five-year WHL forwards of significance I can conjure up are Troy Brouwer, Josh Green and Erik Christiansen. Maybe Cracknell too. But that's out of over a hundred past or present WHLers that suited up for five seasons.

I don't like the CHL crop the the last two drafts, and the North American-trained CHL forwards for 2018 can't touch the Euro Imports. There are some Canadian-based rankings that have the highest Canadian-born CHL forward taken in the late 1st. That's bananas to me and would set an ominous precedent for Canadian major junior. I have Veleno very high because I think he can play, but seems like everyone in Canada has already soured on him (even though he's on a bad team but still 2nd in the QMJHL in assists).

I think Ronning being doubted and left off Team Canada events has motivated him.

FWIW Ronning put up 5 points in 12 AHL games at the tail end of last year and that Hartford team's offense and defense was far worse than this year's. At the same time Lettieri (a two year older player than Ronning) put up 1 point in 9 AHL games and he's for sure one of Hartford's offensive leaders this year. Ronning is close to one year on from then and he's having a much better WHL year--though his WHL team seems better this year than last too. Not sure that comparing Ronning to Brooks or to Lettieri is all that useful. It seems to me sometimes the player rises to the challenge of making that step from Juniors (or from a college program) to the AHL or they don't. Being able to score at those lower levels of play is only an indicator (though an important one) of possible success.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Eco- Yeah, like being able to score in juniors say nothing per se. It’s about being a good player or not. Ronning hasn’t been good enough, up until this season.

Why should he be able to take another step now? I think he still have a few things in place. The speed and work ethic of course. Solid hands etc. I think the big problem for him is that speed in itself means close to nothing, if not everyone so at least 75% skate so well in the game that speed alone will accomplish very little. You need to learn to get involved and utilize that speed against the best. I don’t quite think that challenge always is there in the CHL for the players that isn’t born with the ability.

But OTOH these sons of NHLers get some for free. Cliff was as smart as they come and I am sure he is giving Ty comfort in how he is in a process and if he can improve in these areas — he will play in the majors. It will be about the same thing when he go to the AHL. Cliff will tell him that there are no short cuts and put things in context, which hopefully gives Ty the patient and confidence to keep pushing himself 110%.

And the game in the NHL right now more than anything is about speed and skill, it should suit Ty.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't think it's fair to say that Ronning hasn't been good enough until this season, Giants were one of the worst teams in the entire CHL last season, they were atrocious. Scoring 25+28 on that team was not bad at all, then adding 2+3 in 12 games for an equally bad Hartford in the AHL.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad