Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here is an interesting question. Virta was drafted two years ago and normally the Rangers would have to sign him within two years or lose his rights. But when Virta went to the KHL the Rangers retained rights to him indefinitely because the NHL does not have an agreement with the KHL. See Cap Friendly Rangers Reserve List page.

If he leaves the KHL and plays in a country with a transfer agreement with the NHL do the Rangers rights again become limited again to two years? I think the signing deadline is June 1. Lakatos and Bernhardt are the other June 1 2019 deadlines.

It's still a step up from Liiga

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But the point is why not play Holland and Butler with a prospect. How does it help develop a prospect if you play 3 vets together?
I took "rotating amongst each other" to mean rotating in and out of the lineup. Holland and Butler, I think they need to play. I'm fine with breaking up an all-vet line, as I said above, unless the coaching staff feels they need to keep that line together to stay competitive. Because, as I've argued before, individual player development is paramount in the AHL, but it's also important that the kids play in a competitive environment. O'Donnell and Beleskey, I don't care if they take a seat, though I doubt we'll bench Beleskey for any extended period of time.

They really don't need to bench anyone, honestly. Right now, with Lettieri up, Nieves still out, and Andersson and Chytil up, the only person not getting regular PT is Ronning. And based on what I've seen from him (not much) he should probably be down in the ECHL acclimating to the pro game.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
nyr2k2 understood my intention,
why play ODonnell if the other 4 vet F's(Schneider, Holland, Beleskey, Butler) are in lineup,
I'd even be ok with only dressing 3 of those guys at a time,
rotate sitting 1 per game of Holland, Beleskey and Butler, so they're sharing 2 spots between them
with St Amant (and Leedahl, Salvaggio, Melanson) down,
and Lias (and Chytil, Letttieri, Howden, Nieves) up,
right now there are only 12 F's on roster, so no one F has to sit,
but i'd consider sitting ODonnell anyway and dressing 7 D

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I agree with both of you about rotating the vets at Hartford.

The point I was making was that because I agree with NKR2K2 that "individual player development is paramount in the AHL," why would you play the productive vets together rather than with some of the prospects to see if the prospects can develop more playing with the vets? We have four wing prospects of varying degrees at Hartford and it seems to me that it might help their development to play with more experienced and talented players.

BTW, much to my surprise O'Donnell was one of the better Wolfpack players in Sunday night's game.

nyr2k2 understood my intention,
why play ODonnell if the other 4 vet F's(Schneider, Holland, Beleskey, Butler) are in lineup,
I'd even be ok with only dressing 3 of those guys at a time,
rotate sitting 1 per game of Holland, Beleskey and Butler, so they're sharing 2 spots between them
with St Amant (and Leedahl, Salvaggio, Melanson) down,
and Lias (and Chytil, Letttieri, Howden, Nieves) up,
right now there are only 12 F's on roster, so no one F has to sit,
but i'd consider sitting ODonnell anyway and dressing 7 D

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i have no beef w O'Donnell, even he knows that his role is "depth guy"

in a few months, when we cash in Holland and Beleskey for picks,
ODonnell can be the steadying veteran presence on a regular basis ...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ric I think our relationship with Virta freezes when he gets defected status. Ie no time accures on his CBA parameters and whatever deadlines we have are postponed for the same time as he has that status. Like if we have 1 years left to sign a player and he goes to the KHL for one year we will still have one year left to sign him after that season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ric I think our relationship with Virta freezes when he gets defected status. Ie no time accures on his CBA parameters and whatever deadlines we have are postponed for the same time as he has that status. Like if we have 1 years left to sign a player and he goes to the KHL for one year we will still have one year left to sign him after that season.

If that's true, his rights will carry over until 2020 once he signs with a team in a transfer-agreement league

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If that's true, his rights will carry over until 2020 once he signs with a team in a transfer-agreement league

I don’t see what alternatives there could be. Like let’s say you have a year to sign a player, he signs 2 years in the KHL. If we don’t get that year when he leaves the KHL what is the alternative? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? Don’t make any sense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t see what alternatives there could be. Like let’s say you have a year to sign a player, he signs 2 years in the KHL. If we don’t get that year when he leaves the KHL what is the alternative? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? Don’t make any sense.

True. If we follow that scenario, would there be a certain cut-off date where it would carry over for that season? Give me 15 minutes. I will check the CBA

edit:

CBA article 8.6.d: Players drafted from a club outside North America (CBA Page 20)
A player's rights aged 18 or 19 when drafted will last 4 years
A player's rihts aged 20 or older when drafted will last 2 years

That is all it says about it. I can't find anything in the CBA about the situation Virta is in now. Maybe we can find a player with a similar trajectory in the past few years to compare.

* I summarized it to make it easier to understand.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He says that his greatest hockey moment so far was playing at MSG last year, and the interviewer doesn't bother asking about being drafted by the Rangers. Walter Cronkite he is not.
That’s where I thought the interview would get interesting, also didn’t bring up that he’ll be playing there again in like 2 weeks

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That’s where I thought the interview would get interesting, also didn’t bring up that he’ll be playing there again in like 2 weeks

Yeah, I was disappointed with the line of questioning that he followed from that point. And me not knowing about his upcoming MSG game is a prime reason why.

Will that game be nationally televised?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I was disappointed with the line of questioning that he followed from that point. And me not knowing about his upcoming MSG game is a prime reason why.

Will that game be nationally televised?
I’m not sure, Cornell’s schedule says it’ll be on ESPN+. I can’t remember if last years game was televised but I want to say it was

Reactions: Harbour Dog

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I’m not sure, Cornell’s schedule says it’ll be on ESPN+. I can’t remember if last years game was televised but I want to say it was

per a family ECAC connection, i am told all ECAC games will be ESPN+
except, i believe RPI home games (they have their own HD service i believe, student run).
ESPN+ i believe is only available via separate explicit paid subscription, even if ESPN cable subscriber

Reactions: cozandeffect

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
except, i believe RPI home games (they have their own HD service i believe, student run).
ESPN+ i believe is only available via separate explicit paid subscription, even if ESPN cable subscriber
RPI TV (student run) streams their home game broadcasts in HD for free on their website.

Love it.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate

All correct and as @Irishguy42 said it's free for RPI TV(It's also the best). It's only $5/month too.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Yeah ESPN+ is pay walled. It's bundled with the old ESPN insider though. So anyone who had that gets access to ESPN+ video.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Day was 2+1, +3, 4 shots in his ECHL debut.
He really doesn’t belong there. This rebuild just kept slotting him further down. If we didnt sell at the deadline he’s probably still in Hartford. That all being said he has problems with reads and thinking the game... all the tools no tool box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad