Ollas, HugoGHartford Wolf Pack/AHLDrafted R7 #197 2020
Robertson, MatthewLDHartford Wolf Pack/AHLDrafted R2 #49 2019
Roobroeck, DylanCHartford Wolf Pack/AHLDrafted R6 #178 2023
Scanlin, BrandonLDHartford Wolf Pack/AHLSigned as UDFA 2022
Väisänen, KalleLWHartford Wolf Pack/AHLDrafted R4 #106 2021

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Both Mancini and Fortescue have about the same 3rd pair projections with some upside (so Mancini being closer get my vote when it will come to that). Same is for Rempe and Edstrom but with regard to 4th line, so again not too much upside.

Laba stands out in this group with higher upside. He gets my vote in this round.

Re. Whom to add - it seems it will be between BMB and Chmelar. Both season’s been marred by injuries. If I recall I had BMB ranked a spot higher than Schmelar before so I will continue to stick with it. Add BMB

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Edstrom. I love Remps and all (still in my top 10), but Ed just brings more, outside of fighting and being a folk hero.

I'm going to say add BMB since he at least has a chance. But on my list, I'd be adding Robertson. I'm still huffing the hopium.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Edstrom. I love Remps and all (still in my top 10), but Ed just brings more, outside of fighting and being a folk hero.

I'm going to say add BMB since he at least has a chance. But on my list, I'd be adding Robertson. I'm still huffing the hopium.
I don’t get why people say this, it’s almost like they presume because of him not being as physical it means he’s a more skilled player. Their production in Hartford is almost identical despite Rempe being 2 years younger, and Rempe was the one who cracked the NHL. Rempe is miles ahead of where Edstrom was at the same age

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Edstorm love like he’s going to be this great 4th liner for us is odd. He has a better chance of not becoming a regular at all.

Though it is normally the same half dozen posters that always pump his tires.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I don’t get why people say this, it’s almost like they presume because of him not being as physical it means he’s a more skilled player. Their production in Hartford is almost identical despite Rempe being 2 years younger, and Rempe was the one who cracked the NHL. Rempe is miles ahead of where Edstrom was at the same age
Never said that "because of it," it "means that." He's a less physical, better defensive player, that happens to be a little more skilled.

And "almost identical" is a stretch. 10P over 82 games isn't nothing.

The difference is less than two years, which is why they were only one draft year apart. It's not splitting hairs, it's saying one player was one of the older players in their draft, and the other was on the young side of average.

Saying "MILES" is just doubling down. It's okay to be optimistic about both. "I don't get" the opposite, I guess.

The Edstorm love like he’s going to be this great 4th liner for us is odd. He has a better chance of not becoming a regular at all.

Though it is normally the same half dozen posters that always pump his tires.
He's not "going to be this great 4th liner," but he certainly has a chance to be a pretty good one.

I had Edstrom a little lower than he went last time, but thought he deserved his votes. StatBoy had him higher than he went last time. I think you're casting too wide a net. There's even a chance that StatBoy is more right than either of us!

I have Rempe next, who has obviously taken a huge leap upward. I totally get it, and I'm not railing against anyone voting that way. Solid choice, but that's my second pick here. That's how I "lose" most of my polls, tbh.

Edstrom's frame is a factor which may be similarly "overpumped" like it is with Rempe. Funny enough, they are both better skaters than a lot of oafs their size. Edstrom is less aggressive obviously, but he has shown more to be a C option going forward. That's the crux of my voting him over Remps.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Edstrom was also playing in the SHL when he was 18 and 19. And by the age of 20 he was playing all up and down the lineup including on the first line from time to time. That's what caught my eye and led me to become one of "the half dozen guys who pump his tires"--he could play effectively up and down the lineup, in all situations, on both wings and at center. And he wasn't just a passenger, his physical play, puck retrieval, and ability to play in small space created a lot of room for his linemates. The SHL is pretty close to the AHL overall, and so if we're going to be doing age-based comparisons that should be taken into account.

I've come to respect Matt Rempe and what he brings to the table. However, he's more of a bull in a china shop who will--over the course of 82 games--likely have far more of an effect on things with his physical play than with his ability to contribute offensively or defensively. And there's definitely value in those physical contributions, which I don't want to diminish. For me, though, Edstrom is a more complete player whose contributions will be felt in a lot of different ways, and so I have him ahead by a hair--their usage last season notwithstanding.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Edstrom was also playing in the SHL when he was 18 and 19. And by the age of 20 he was playing all up and down the lineup including on the first line from time to time. That's what caught my eye and led me to become one of "the half dozen guys who pump his tires"--he could play effectively up and down the lineup, in all situations, on both wings and at center. And he wasn't just a passenger, his physical play, puck retrieval, and ability to play in small space created a lot of room for his linemates. The SHL is pretty close to the AHL overall, and so if we're going to be doing age-based comparisons that should be taken into account.

I've come to respect Matt Rempe and what he brings to the table. However, he's more of a bull in a china shop who will--over the course of 82 games--likely have far more of an effect on things with his physical play than with his ability to contribute offensively or defensively. And there's definitely value in those physical contributions, which I don't want to diminish. For me, though, Edstrom is a more complete player whose contributions will be felt in a lot of different ways, and so I have him ahead by a hair--their usage last season notwithstanding.

Where did Edstrom play center and was it one off or a regular spot?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I guess that’s where we disagree. I absolutely don’t see him as a player who can play up and down the lineup in all situations.

At best he becomes a physical 4th liner who will bring very minimal offense.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Where did Edstrom play center and was it one off or a regular spot?
For Rögle. He played center earlier in his career, then became primarily wing, playing on both sides. He's also lined up at C in Hartford. I think he's mostly a wing at this point although most places list him as a C still, or a C/W.

I guess that’s where we disagree. I absolutely don’t see him as a player who can play up and down the lineup in all situations.

At best he becomes a physical 4th liner who will bring very minimal offense.
To be clear, I don't think Edstrom will play up and down the lineup in the NHL. I'm saying I saw him start games as the 1LW in the SHL and frequently move around the Rögle lineup in all positions on all lines. He was able to do so because he's a good skater who has some pretty solid tools. His NHL future is firmly in the bottom six.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For Rögle. He played center earlier in his career, then became primarily wing, playing on both sides. He's also lined up at C in Hartford. I think he's mostly a wing at this point although most places list him as a C still, or a C/W.

To be clear, I don't think Edstrom will play up and down the lineup in the NHL. I'm saying I saw him start games as the 1LW in the SHL and frequently move around the Rögle lineup in all positions on all lines. He was able to do so because he's a good skater who has some pretty solid tools. His NHL future is firmly in the bottom six.
This is where I have my concerns too - I see some folks are penciling him at 4C on the varsity for next season (not you) and IMO it's a pretty far reach not only as the next season is concerned but maybe even beyond. I don't view it as a knock on the prospect - actually very happy that the organization somehow was able to get an NHLer out of this late pick but in terms of ranking it brings him on a level field with Rempe as far as development is concerned, but Rempe has his pugilistic attribute that outweigh in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad