Rangers Prospect Poll - Summer 2024 - #5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He is a darkhorse for the 7th D this season. He was clearly the call up for the left side after Jones. Naturally he moves up the depth chart with losing Gus.

Still should get a cheap vet for competition, but he should be given a shot to earn it.
I'd like to see him get a shot during training camp, hopefully they give him a good chance to prove himself.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Sykora and I also understand that Emery wasn't a sexy pick for a lot of people but I think there's a fairly substantial difference in potential value between the two. Sykora looks like a nice sparkplug for the bottom six, but Emery has a chance to be a real, true lockdown defender in the middle of your defense.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I like Sykora and I also understand that Emery wasn't a sexy pick for a lot of people but I think there's a fairly substantial difference in potential value between the two. Sykora looks like a nice sparkplug for the bottom six, but Emery has a chance to be a real, true lockdown defender in the middle of your defense.
So does Fort and he's not added yet :/

(But yes EJ is well before Fort).

Love Sykora, I think he's a slam dunk NHLer who will give 150% every game and be a huge fan favorite. Think Fast x2, minus some offense but still gets a respectable amount of points for a 3rd liner.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Emery. Add Fort.

Just catching up.
It's no surprise that our top 2 are the same as last time. Then Cuylle graduated. Luckily, Berard has taken a big step forward, replacing Cuylle.

Jones' few games showed that he can be a 5/6 D in this league. He's technically Brannstrom, so he's gonna graduate soon anyway. He's a "#4 prospect that's about to graduate" on a lot of teams.

Emery rounds out the top 5 like any team's recent 1st should at minimum.

Garand had a really nice season making him 6th for me, and then Sykora drops from 4th to 7th even though he had a decent season that keeps him on the same path as when we voted last.

We have so many young players that are graduated, improved our top 5 prospects, improved our 6-10 imo, and are already a really good team up top.

Not to mention our elephant in the room in Rempe.

We're ranked pretty low in "Prospect Pool," but we're working 1.5 kids in each season consistently. Our top 10 prospects improved, although we'll see a lot of grads really soon. Our 11-20 isn't bad at all, so that's cool. I'm not worried that our 21+ ain't that great, tbh.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People are REALLY sleeping on Fortescue. He's going to end up being a steal in the 3rd round. I'd have him around #8 on my list. He's not flashy so he's getting overlooked unfortunately but he's about as rock solid on the back end as you can get. Similar to EJ.

I really like him, but I’d like to see how his sophomore season does first.

Hell, Mancini was a guy I liked in college and always went way too low in these things. Not flashy but solid, strong and a good skater.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Man it's really hard to gauge the impact of complimentary pieces. Pretty much everyone in our prospect pool beyond Perreault is a middle-bottom 6 winger or a top 4 defender or backup/platoon goalie.

To me, there's like 4 tiers of prospects right now.

Tier 1 - Perrault

Tier 2 - Othmann

Tier 3 - Everyone else who can possibly fill a complimentary role in the NHL someday (Rempe, Garand, Edstrom, Berard, Sykora, Laba, Emery, Fortescue, Mancini, Rooebreck, (lower end of this list - Chmelar, Barker, Scanlin)

Tier 4 - Everyone else likely not making it. (Korczak, Robertson, Ollas, Henriksson, etc)

The only reason Othmann is separated in his own Tier is because of his shot and passing. His skating, play driving, impact at 5v5 is still up in the air. But last year, he looked like an offensive player or bust. I was hoping he'd round out his game and be a surefire middle 6 forward with a lethal shot. But his overall 200ft game is not reliable and his lack of speed (or at least getting to the right spots quicker) is impacting his ability to become that middle-six guy who also happens to have a lot of offense. There's no doubt there's elite skill there, but can he play a game that can be relied upon by coaches at the highest levels while also being impactful offensively? That's the question. Can his intelligence or footspeed facilitate? If not, he's in that PA Parenteau mold but with more physicality. Maybe there's a Tarasenko hiding in there? We'll see...

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Tier 1 - Perrault

Tier 2 - Othmann

Tier 3 - Everyone else who can possibly fill a complimentary role in the NHL someday (Rempe, Garand, Edstrom, Berard, Sykora, Laba, Emery, Fortescue, Mancini, Rooebreck, (lower end of this list - Chmelar, Barker, Scanlin)

Tier 4 - Everyone else likely not making it. (Korczak, Robertson, Ollas, Henriksson, etc)
Don't sleep on Berard. He has put in the work to join Otter in that second tier.

Your point still stands. And to me, that 3rd tier is the strength of our system. Most teams would kill to have a Rempe, but novelty aside, Emery, Garand, Sykora, Edstrom, etc, are all pieces teams would be happy to have.

Emery

Add Laba
Care to elaborate on why Laba has moved up for you? I have him a hair behind BMB, and both a hair behind Fortescue. I know I have BMB slightly higher than most, but they're all in the same cluster so it's not the hottest take in the world or anything. Just curious what stands out in particular to you in regards to Laba.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Man it's really hard to gauge the impact of complimentary pieces. Pretty much everyone in our prospect pool beyond Perreault is a middle-bottom 6 winger or a top 4 defender or backup/platoon goalie.

To me, there's like 4 tiers of prospects right now.

Tier 1 - Perrault

Tier 2 - Othmann

I'd add Berard to tier 2 and I actually like him a little better than Othmann because he has so many paths to being an NHL contributor.

I think Emery is going to open some eyes within the next year or two and move into that second tier, as well. He's really good.

The lack of draft picks prevents us from having another tier 2 and a couple tier 3 guys and what pushes our system from average to below average. When you consider what we've had to work with, I think it's actually in pretty good shape.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Care to elaborate on why Laba has moved up for you? I have him a hair behind BMB, and both a hair behind Fortescue. I know I have BMB slightly higher than most, but they're all in the same cluster so it's not the hottest take in the world or anything. Just curious what stands out in particular to you in regards to Laba.

Laba's D+3 season showed great progression, whereas McConnell-Barker's D+2 was good but not a continuation of his progression. That was partly due to injuries of course, but I think Laba has taken a bigger step and he's slightly ahead of Bryce now for me.

It could very well change in the next 6 months though.

Reactions: n8 and Kendo

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I'd add Berard to tier 2 and I actually like him a little better than Othmann because he has so many paths to being an NHL contributor.

I think Emery is going to open some eyes within the next year or two and move into that second tier, as well. He's really good.

The lack of draft picks prevents us from having another tier 2 and a couple tier 3 guys and what pushes our system from average to below average. When you consider what we've had to work with, I think it's actually in pretty good shape.
I love Berard too. I just think his ceiling in the NHL is still more likely to be a middle-six player. I think he's closer to the show than Othmann. So, in that respect, he's a head of Brennan.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Laba's D+3 season showed great progression, whereas McConnell-Barker's D+2 was good but not a continuation of his progression. That was partly due to injuries of course, but I think Laba has taken a bigger step and he's slightly ahead of Bryce now for me.

Are you differentiating between D+2 and D+3 despite both being drafted in 2022 because Laba was technically draft eligible in 2021?

I've only watched highlights of our college guys (I know that can be deceiving), so how would you compare just the skating between the two? BMB looks like a very smooth skater in general, but you don't get a very good idea of the overall "pace" without watching full games.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

To add to this, Laba was really a major play driver for his team and maybe the most dangerous forward for the team during the NCAA tourney. He was a leader. Laba is similar to Trocheck but I think Tro had more elite offensive skillset as a prospect. Laba isn't necessarily the guy who is flashing high end skill and an elite shot or playmaking ability. But he has decent speed, skill, tenacity and motor. Very easy kid to root for. I hope he continues to improve and get stronger.

With Laba, I can see a player there even if he doesn't score much at the higher levels. Similar to Berard, you can more immediately see an effective player based on translatable play style.

Reactions: Kendo

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Are you differentiating between D+2 and D+3 despite both being drafted in 2022 because Laba was technically draft eligible in 2021?

I've only watched highlights of our college guys (I know that can be deceiving), so how would you compare just the skating between the two? BMB looks like a very smooth skater in general, but you don't get a very good idea of the overall "pace" without watching full games.
From my limited viewings, I would say Laba seems to play with a higher pace.

But they don't exactly play the same style. Laba plays a bit more attacking, driving the net style. BMB is a bit more skill oriented, perhaps a bit more cerebral. So, he tends to look for open areas of ice to make plays. Laba also seems a bit longer/lankier than BMB.

That said, at their top end speeds, straight ahead, they may not be that different. But eye test, Laba seems faster on the ice. But again, just different play styles.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yes. D-years are calculated based on when a player was first draft-eligible, not necessarily when they were drafted.

It's hard to compare them as they play different leagues. McConnell-Barker plays against younger opposition in the OHL for instance.

In the end, all of this is just our opinions. Laba could very well hit his ceiling earlier than McConnell-Barker. But I think Laba's season was far better than anyone could have expected, to the point where it was even suggested he'd turn pro.

Reactions: gravey9 and Kendo

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Interesting that you picked Tro as a comparison. He has more "quickness" than he does "speed," and that was the feeling I was getting with Laba (and to an extent, Berard). Kreider would DUMMY Troch in comparing a lap around the rink, but Vince's motor is just ridiculous. And a big part of that is mental quickness and effort. "Pick a direction or a spot without hesitation, and simply start going there at speed, come hell or high water."

Killer top speed and plus acceleration are a sweet bonus, but I want to make sure the kids develop the smarts and drive to utilize whatever their physical "best" is when it comes to skating. Not JUST the skating itself. (Of course, every prospect should work on skating specifically to maximize their chances of an NHL spot, jus sayin.)

Reactions: gravey9 and bhamill

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Yes. D-years are calculated based on when a player was first draft-eligible, not necessarily when they were drafted.

It's hard to compare them as they play different leagues. McConnell-Barker plays against younger opposition in the OHL for instance.

In the end, all of this is just our opinions. Laba could very well hit his ceiling earlier than McConnell-Barker. But I think Laba's season was far better than anyone could have expected, to the point where it was even suggested he'd turn pro.
Gotcha.

And yeah, we're all spitballing with our slight differences in rankings, so I value the hivemind consensus even when I disagree personally, or think a dissenter might be onto something for or against a specific prospect.

BMB vs Laba is an interesting fine point. It's the minutiae, so it's interesting to see the gut feeling to gut feeling difference. "Here are two similar things. Gun to your head, which one?" That's the compelling stuff.

Almost everyone agrees with the "broad brush" stuff. And those who don't, make it widely known and get judged by time.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Interesting that you picked Tro as a comparison. He has more "quickness" than he does "speed," and that was the feeling I was getting with Laba (and to an extent, Berard). Kreider would DUMMY Troch in comparing a lap around the rink, but Vince's motor is just ridiculous. And a big part of that is mental quickness and effort. "Pick a direction or a spot without hesitation, and simply start going there at speed, come hell or high water."

Killer top speed and plus acceleration are a sweet bonus, but I want to make sure the kids develop the smarts and drive to utilize whatever their physical "best" is when it comes to skating. Not JUST the skating itself. (Of course, every prospect should work on skating specifically to maximize their chances of an NHL spot, jus sayin.)
Couldn't agree more.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
You could if you nudged Berard into that second tier with Othmann. :naughty:
Ha! Berard is closer to the NHL for sure. He's a more well rounded player ATM with a better motor. I am a big fan and have been watching him for years between WJCs and Providence. There's a very legit reason to think he'll be a better NHLer than Othmann. My first two tiers were reserved for players that have top line or top 6 potential. Berard COULD be that. But I suspect he's likely in that 3rd line type role. Would love it if he found his way into top 6 minutes, but I am trying to temper expectations. BB, along with Edstrom and Rempe are the 3 forwards that have earned a crack at the NHL roster next season. Again, he's ahead of Othmann in that regard. But Othmann is supposed to have a higher ceiling. The shot and passing skills on Othmann are great. It's just driving play and getting to the right spots that may hold him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad