Value of: Rangers offense fix

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Any interest in Athansiou ? Kempe? make a offer ( lefthanded defenseman /or goalie prospect/ rw prospect that can score would be of interest)

Reactions: kinghock

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't think you can ignore speed and settle for players who can protect your younger players. That should be an offense focus. This team is too damn slow.

Also, it's our top 2 lines that look bad 5 on 5.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don't think you can ignore speed and settle for players who can protect your younger players. That should be an offense focus. This team is too damn slow.

Also, it's our top 2 lines that look bad 5 on 5.

please elaborate on underlined
Have been too much forest from the trees, not seeing it is obv, but you may be right, and I want with an open mind to hear more from you on this pt.

Again, I want lines standardized.
Move Strome, do not self rent; he and Geo need to be moved before nxt yr as their $ is needed to cover most of Fox raise.
Bite that bullet, get it over with, use those mins on who is left, = familiarity + better chemistry. Do not add vets take picks = no cap coming back.

Would the following be balanced as to speed?
and etc?

Goodrow-Zib-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
Kreider-Barron/Kravtsov-Kakko

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I love Blais but maybe we can upgrade on him. Someone like Buchnevich from St. Louis would probably look real nice next to Kreider and Zib. He's also on a great contract for a first liner. Young enough to fit the timeline of the Rangers' rebuild too.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We can go down the list on actual slower skating players, but the forecheck is way too slow. Panarin plays left wing but has the "center responsibility" mentality with how deep he comes back. So Strome and Kakko are left on the forecheck if the puck gets deep enough from the the defense/clearing attempts. When Panarin skates the puck up from deep in our zone he waits at the blue line to dish the puck off, or he cross the blue line and tries to find help from a winger. They aren't there yet and Panarin is left waiting and 1 of 3 plays happen. 1 - Panarin pushes it back to the defense. 2. Panarin throws a cross Ice pass that gets picked off. 3. Panarin throws the puck deep and nobody retrieves the puck. Line-mates are too slow to retrieve the puck or get in on the forecheck.

Line 2 - Zibanejad gets in on the forecheck super quick but it doesn't go in his favor because either has 1 hand on the stick trying to hit the puck first, or he gives the cutest love tap on the defenders. Laf tries to get in on the forecheck but he's about 2 shifts behind the play.

Bottom 6 - A few decent skaters but a little slower overall as a group.

The speed is noticeable on forechecks and when Rangers try to break out of their zone, they get one pass up the wing with 2-3 steps ahead of the forecheckers and somehow get caught before the blueline.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
please elaborate on underlined
Have been too much forest from the trees, not seeing it is obv, but you may be right, and I want with an open mind to hear more from you on this pt.

Again, I want lines standardized.
Move Strome, do not self rent; he and Geo need to be moved before nxt yr as their $ is needed to cover most of Fox raise.
Bite that bullet, get it over with, use those mins on who is left, = familiarity + better chemistry. Do not add vets take picks = no cap coming back.

Would the following be balanced as to speed?
and etc?

Goodrow-Zib-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
Kreider-Barron/Kravtsov-Kakko
1) Kravtsov isnt a center
2) He's in Russia until at least late March. Stop penciling him into your lineup.

Reactions: kinghock

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I love Blais but maybe we can upgrade on him. Someone like Buchnevich from St. Louis would probably look real nice next to Kreider and Zib. He's also on a great contract for a first liner. Young enough to fit the timeline of the Rangers' rebuild too.

that chance has come and gone

we should have, like I said, dealt Buch for Broberg or EDM 9OA ish when that opportunity presented itself.

That said, I am very pleased w/Blais and consider him worth a 2nd + small add

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We can go down the list on actual slower skating players, but the forecheck is way too slow. Panarin plays left wing but has the "center responsibility" mentality with how deep he comes back. So Strome and Kakko are left on the forecheck if the puck gets deep enough from the the defense/clearing attempts. When Panarin skates the puck up from deep in our zone he waits at the blue line to dish the puck off, or he cross the blue line and tries to find help from a winger. They aren't there yet and Panarin is left waiting and 1 of 3 plays happen. 1 - Panarin pushes it back to the defense. 2. Panarin throws a cross Ice pass that gets picked off. 3. Panarin throws the puck deep and nobody retrieves the puck. Line-mates are too slow to retrieve the puck or get in on the forecheck.

Line 2 - Zibanejad gets in on the forecheck super quick but it doesn't go in his favor because either has 1 hand on the stick trying to hit the puck first, or he gives the cutest love tap on the defenders. Laf tries to get in on the forecheck but he's about 2 shifts behind the play.

Bottom 6 - A few decent skaters but a little slower overall as a group.

The speed is noticeable on forechecks and when Rangers try to break out of their zone, they get one pass up the wing with 2-3 steps ahead of the forecheckers and somehow get caught before the blueline.

thank you this was constructive

pt is that they have sufficiently able skaters, but they are falling into the ruts you have described, which first glance appear to be warranted criticism.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1) Kravtsov isnt a center
2) He's in Russia until at least late March. Stop penciling him into your lineup.

Krav can play C.
I will continue to insist they listen to me and try that.
You act as if he never played pivot in his entire life and my assessment was only due to projections of his skill/abilities.

As you know, played at high level international competition.
Learning curve?
Sure.
But can he likely do it?
Yes.

As to when he gets here, fine.
Barron in the meantime.

Assuming Krav is not traded.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Can a Rangers fan explain (briefly) what is going on with Kakko and what the future might hold for him? He seems to have fallen off a cliff this season, and I haven't seen enough Rangers play this season to know how much of that is on the player and how much can be attributed to his usage.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
To Calgary: Alexis Lafrenière

To Rangers: Elias Lindholm

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
In the offseason Anthony Cirelli for Lundkvist + Chytil?

Rangers get a legit 2C to play behind Zibanejad while the Lightning get some capspace to re-sign Palat, a 3C with still some upside and a young RD with offensive potential which they lack.
Dafuq o_O

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Can a Rangers fan explain (briefly) what is going on with Kakko and what the future might hold for him? He seems to have fallen off a cliff this season, and I haven't seen enough Rangers play this season to know how much of that is on the player and how much can be attributed to his usage.

It's not exactly clear
but
the whole group has too much time w/vet Strome eating up mins
should have been dealt and needs to go sell high for futures = needed cap space

this would = more time for remaining group

other things besides mins is
constant shifting of lines

stop
run w/lines I suggested

DO IT!

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Krav can play C.
I will continue to insist they listen to me and try that.
You act as if he never played pivot in his entire life and my assessment was only due to projections of his skill/abilities.

As you know, played at high level international competition.
Learning curve?
Sure.
But can he likely do it?
Yes.

As to when he gets here, fine.
Barron in the meantime.

Assuming Krav is not traded.
6 games as an injury fill in.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

No one knows. He looks like a solid possession player who seems responsible for his age. He also looks like a timid player with zero confidence who rarely flashes any top end skill. He has flashed that skill in the past, but right now it’s especially absent. He definitely does not seem to click on the line that he’s with. He also has seen limited PP time (as have all the kids in NY) since we are evidently MARRIED to Strome being there. Certainly some usage questions and concerns come to mind, along with overall fit on his line and lack of confidence due to the poor start. But anyone who tells you definitively that it’s all usage and confidence is selling snake oil. As I said in my first sentence, no one knows. We can guess at some factors. That’s about it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
When did broberg or the ninth pick present itself? Link?

going on representations from Oil fans who bemoaned how we dealt Buch to StL for Blais + 2nd, when they said it was believed that for the past 2 years Broberg/pick was made available.

Little help, maybe somebody there can step up to confirm. That they went there is something you can check out yourself if ya wanna dig back a coupla months of threads.

btw, this all stems from NYR not listening to me, and foolishly going for it when playoffs last 2 seasons were ridiculous target, and instead should have sold high on both high end assets and even lower ones like Brendan Smith [another 4th was better than nothing].
If it can be avoided, nobody walks.

Self renting Buch who we clearly can not afford long term is irresponsibly indulgent folly.

Hopefully we do not repeat this and move Strome like yesterday.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He’s got to be the most unlucky player when it comes to actually producing points.
Other then get on the scoreboard, he’s been great so far

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad