Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning - November 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Shoulda went more conservative on that PP, could have started OT 4-on-3 and gotten at least a point.

whatever.gif

Just pray the Blots don't make the playoffs, which they will.

Also what is McIlrath going to do, beat up Bishop?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
There's a lot of blame to go around on that play. The lack of a backcheck by the other player on the point makes me want to rage, though. That's inexcusable.

He did backcheck though, its just that the other players were already skating at speed when the pass was fumbled. The only way Zucc is eligible for that play is if he goes up to the blueline to anticipate a McD fumble before its knocked away from him

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No, it's not obvious. The fellow point guy has to see McD struggling with the puck and move out of the zone. We have at least one guy back if that happens with McD trailing at full speed.

Valiquette just broke it down on the post game. Rangers playing the 1-3-1 on the pp with McDonagh being the only person on the blue line, Stepan makes a risky pass like that which handcuffs McDonagh, and the two TB players have all the momentum going the other way.

No one is catching them.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Completely agree. Stepan put McDonagh in a terrible position. Fired the pass at him like a slapshot

I see three problems on that final goal.

You have Stepan forcing a terrible pass. A player sort of just standing there near Stepan doing nothing (was that Boyle?). And then the guy on the far point not even paying attention to the play.

When you have a collision of stupid, you tend to get a goal against.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
You complain about physical teams, in a loss against probably the softest team in the East?

I'm not talking about physical as in board pounding, I mean physical as in they get all over you, forecheck the **** outta you, and will eat you alive. Most of the teams can't catch up to us because we're too fast, TB is one of the teams they can. And come playoff time, they will be far more physical.

TB has the right recpie against us:

Clog the neutral zone

Heavily forecheck and exploit hte ****** puckhandling most of our D has.

Get in the shot lanes.

Rely on your large goalie to stop the cheese shots he will inevitably face because the teams are just trying to get the puck on net.

Hope for Lundqvist to let up the softies he's prone to giving up.

TB and the Islanders are probably the two worst matchups for us becasue they know how to do this.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
The decision making with the puck was dreadful all night. For a team that wanted to "avenge" the ECF, they sure did a bang up job of it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Completely agree. Stepan put McDonagh in a terrible position. Fired the pass at him like a slapshot

Not only did he basically shoot the puck at McDonagh making it hard to handle, it was just a dumb decision to force the pass there. Both TB forwards are cheating high, there's a minute left in the game, and you're on the power play. Throw the puck down low or hold onto it and if you're going to force something, have it at least be towards the net.

Forcing that pass high was literally the only play he could've made that would lead to a goal against. That late in the game, any other play broken up by TB players would've simply been iced, they were playing to get to OT. What a joke. For a guy who survives on his hockey IQ, that was an extremely dumb decision at that point in the game.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm not talking about physical as in board pounding, I mean physical as in they get all over you, forecheck the **** outta you, and will eat you alive. Most of the teams can't catch up to us because we're too fast, TB is one of the teams they can. And come playoff time, they will be far more physical.

TB has the right recpie against us:

Clog the neutral zone

Heavily forecheck and exploit hte ****** puckhandling most of our D has.

Get in the shot lanes.

Rely on your large goalie to stop the cheese shots he will inevitably face because the teams are just trying to get the puck on net.

Hope for Lundqvist to let up the softies he's prone to giving up.

TB and the Islanders are probably the two worst matchups for us becasue they know how to do this.

You have quite a different definition of physical than most, I'll say that.

Tampa's not even a particularly effective forecheck team. This team just has two impotent pylons that are trusted against their 100 mph superstars.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
At some point AV has to get someone to drop the gloves. A team of midgets shouldn't be the ones pushing us around.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Tampa will make playoffs guys. They'll get injured players back and pull their fingers out. Tampa is a good team.

Carl Swaglin

Apr 23, 2014
Middletown, NJ
McIlrath is not going to deter anyone from doing anything. Because deterance doesn't exist.

Why would Brown all of a sudden stop doing what got him to the NHL because McIlrath will try to fight him?

Now I know you watch hockey a lot because you post a lot. When you have a pest on the ice and he gets punished for his actions even if it's a fight maybe he gets beat up that takes him off the ice for five plus minutes depending on stoppages. Let's say it's at the end of the second. Mcdonagh then doesn't take that penalty maybe brown gets hurt and doesn't assist on the final goal, maybe it happens early on and brown thinks he is going to get targeted everytime he's on the ice if he plays like that. Hockey is a chess match, his job is to through other people off there game who's to say someone else can't throw him off his game.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Stepan freezing on the half wall was terrible. Otherwise, no real problems with this game.

Yep. For someone praised for his hockey IQ and vision, it seems that Stepan freezes too much on the PP and second guesses himself, slowing down the play and letting the other team get into better position. Infuriating. As soon as I saw Stepan hesitate and bring the puck to the wall, allowing Brown and Filppula to swarm him, I knew it wasn't going to end well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Valiquette just broke it down on the post game. Rangers playing the 1-3-1 on the pp with McDonagh being the only person on the blue line, Stepan makes a risky pass like that which handcuffs McDonagh, and the two TB players have all the momentum going the other way.

No one is catching them.

That's really not all that true. Valley is correct in that we were rolling with a 1-3-1 on the powerplay. The problem when you are rolling with that is that your trailing skater of the three grouped in the middle has to be aware of what's going on on the blueline. Fact of the matter is Stepan forced a moronic pass to McDonagh and the other skater who should've started backchecking just sort of stood there doing nothing. If we get a proper backcheck, we at least have a 2-on-1 with McD as a fast-closing trailer.

Worse case scenario, we have two guys trailing fast and harassing the puck carrier and the shooter.

It was a very, very poor job by a few guys on the ice, there.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
we lose one game because we can't score goals and all of a sudden we need goons?

want to bring back tanner?

the team is fine.

we weren't gonna run the table and win the final 54 games

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Not sure what Stepan was thinking about on the pass. We should've at least gotten a point out of that game. Terrible way to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad