Random Car Chat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Anyone driven a Kia Stinger GT? They seem pretty reasonably priced (esp used) vs say an Audi s5 of similar size/performance. Very well reviewed, too.
No, but I've torched one in my Audi S4... ;)

Funny thing, saw the same guy another time as well while I was driving the Shelby, he wasn't wanting to give that one a go... wonder why? :huh: :naughty:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
No, but I've torched one in my Audi S4... ;)

Funny thing, saw the same guy another time as well while I was driving the Shelby, he wasn't wanting to give that one a go... wonder why? :huh: :naughty:
haaa was that the GT? I think the base stinger is the A4 to the S4. Or there's the GT2 too... not really 100% on the trims or how hard it is to find what i'd imagine is the top one. Don't even know if they're visually different.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Only when it's safe... only when it's safe.

Yes it was a GT

The majority of the time I have driven manual cars they haven't been mine. Because of this, when I do drive them I'm pretty careful. Seeing someone power shift like that makes me wince. :laugh:

I guarantee you that if I were a truck driver I'd be the double-clutching wuss while everyone else is floating gears.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The majority of the time I have driven manual cars they haven't been mine. Because of this, when I do drive them I'm pretty careful. Seeing someone power shift like that makes me wince. :laugh:

I guarantee you that if I were a truck driver I'd be the double-clutching wuss while everyone else is floating gears.
I have only ever driven one other manual that belonged to someone other than myself... and it was a old Datsun 280z. I sure as hell wasn't going to power through those gears... so I understand. ;)

The Shelby though, that is one of the notchiest sticks I've ever driven. Especially 1st and 2nd gears... so with that car you really get used to having to slam it into gear.

Go figure, the Audi is like shifting through butter by comparison, it slips through the gears so smoothly.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I have only ever driven one other manual that belonged to someone other than myself... and it was a old Datsun 280z. I sure as hell wasn't going to power through those gears... so I understand. ;)

The Shelby though, that is one of the notchiest sticks I've ever driven. Especially 1st and 2nd gears... so with that car you really get used to having to slam it into gear.

Go figure, the Audi is like shifting through butter by comparison, it slips through the gears so smoothly.

Honestly, that's not surprising. If you're going out in a Shelby manual in the first place, "delicate" is not a word that exists or belongs at the table. It's not a car for the faint of heart anyways.

FWIW, when I tested a Subaru WRX the N->1 transition at a dead stop was notchy too, interestingly enough.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's not a car for the faint of heart anyways.
Understatement of the year!

When people ask me what the "difference" in driving experience between my two cars?

Shelby GT500 = Driving at it's most raw unadulterated level... If you don't know what you're doing or get careless, the car is going to jump out on you quicker than a heartbeat!

Audi S4 = Completely sophisticated - everything about the experience is completely engineered. Going through corners, the car is engineering the corner itself!

Both cars have their place in fun driving in this world... but when it comes down to it.. that raw experience sure gets the blood pumping a lot more!

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Understatement of the year!

When people ask me what the "difference" in driving experience between my two cars?

Shelby GT500 = Driving at it's most raw unadulterated level... If you don't know what you're doing or get careless, the car is going to jump out on you quicker than a heartbeat!

Audi S4 = Completely sophisticated - everything about the experience is completely engineered. Going through corners, the car is engineering the corner itself!

Both cars have their place in fun driving in this world... but when it comes down to it.. that raw experience sure gets the blood pumping a lot more!

People have to snap up these raw, visceral, driver cars before they are engineered out of existence.

A sports car shouldn't just be about raw numbers. It's about how it makes you feel when you drive it. That's why people still lust after cars like the Ferrari F50; it's many years old at this point but all it takes is one listen to that sound and you're never the same again.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
People have to snap up these raw, visceral, driver cars before they are engineered out of existence.

A sports car shouldn't just be about raw numbers. It's about how it makes you feel when you drive it. That's why people still lust after cars like the Ferrari F50; it's many years old at this point but all it takes is one listen to that sound and you're never the same again.
Every single passenger I've had in the Shelby has uttered the words "Holy shit!" With BIG smiles on their faces while doing so... at one point or another.

One particular individual followed that up with "I didn't even know a car could DO that!"... :laugh:

Raw, visceral... adrenaline pumping... and as long as you give it the respect it deserves while in the driver's seat... NOTHING BUT SMILES! :yo:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My 64 Chevelle had a single channel dash speaker that I replaced with a pair of Kicker 3.5 inch 2 ways, and I added a pair of 6.5 inch Kenwood 2 ways into the rear deck. Then added a 45x4 rms amp to it all and stuffed the amp under the passenger seat. It sounds very good, better than expected for the money, and I enjoyed a little proud moment for myself knowing that it's been about 20 years since I did anything like that. I forgot how frustrating, tedious, but also enjoyable it can be.

My 2021 Sorento has a 6.5 speaker in each of the 4 doors, and a pair of tweeters in the A pillar. It sounds...very mediocre. I have been toying with replacing the 4 door drivers with upgraded 2ways, and adding that same 45x4 amp I used in my Chevy. Also thinking about a powered subwoofer somewhere in the car. I could probably get away with it for cheap, $120 for speakers, $140 for the amp, $120 for the bass, $50 for wiring. The trouble is that the battery is in the spare tire compartment and I would have to tap into speaker wires in the dash behind the giant LCD screen. The time commitment, and pulling apart a brand new car is killing all my motivation to do it. It's more disassembly than I would like to do.

Maybe I can throw $500 of gear into an Amazon wishlist and send it over to the lady friend. If she green lights it enough to spend the money on it, then the decision is made for me lol

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So yesterday I rolled over 260,000 with a fully loaded truck and towing my beast of a boat home from the cottage.

Was about a 3 hour trip. Lots of hills so I really focused on not burning up the tranny. I probably over thought it, I was exhausted when I got home. I told him "good boy" and cracked a beer :)

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I don't venture outside of the hockey parts of this board much, had no idea there was a car subforum. I daily drive a 2019 Miata RF GT-S.

cNM55yuh.jpg

L4xFGRkh.jpg

HgqYvyoh.jpg

The eagle eyed among you might notice the BMW in the background... That's my 88 325i, which I've swapped a Ford 302 into. It's near ready to roll, though it's going to be track only, won't even bother with registering it. Will be wide body via a Rocket Bunny Pandem kit, I'm building a set of wide BBS 3 piece wheels for it, and will probably start with autocrossing it, but likely will move up to HPDE's and maybe even drifting. We'll see how it goes. Here's an older pic of it before I attached the core support, can get an idea of how wide it will be, though the wheels on this aren't wide enough, they'll stick out around 2" more than shown here:

Wt095vKh.jpg

Motor is going to be running on a Holley Terminator X Max, and it may get a turbo later on.

And if I ever blow this motor, 100% will be going to an LS based engine.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
@Elysian That is one of the nicest looking Miatas I have ever seen. If I lived in a climate where RWD was possible year-round I would seriously consider buying one, but then I'd just want to drive it all day and my wife would be pissed.

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
@Elysian That is one of the nicest looking Miatas I have ever seen. If I lived in a climate where RWD was possible year-round I would seriously consider buying one, but then I'd just want to drive it all day and my wife would be pissed.
Thanks, I absolutely love it.

So yesterday I upgraded the rear sway bar and brake pads in preparation for autocross today.

Autocross was an absolute blast, I love the new sway bar. Didn't have to test the new brake pads much. The extra turn-in from the new sway bar is exactly what I was after, the car corners so much better. I didn't expect to like the rear sway bar as much as I did.

Only placed 4th in Novice out of 34 entrants, but I was only 0.6s off 1st place. This is my last autocross event in Texas till we move to Ohio, I don't intend on running more unless I just wind up with a dearth of free time. Here's a video of my best run:

Considering I only had 30 minutes of drive time before the autocross event with the new sway bar I consider today a real success.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks, I absolutely love it.

So yesterday I upgraded the rear sway bar and brake pads in preparation for autocross today.

Autocross was an absolute blast, I love the new sway bar. Didn't have to test the new brake pads much. The extra turn-in from the new sway bar is exactly what I was after, the car corners so much better. I didn't expect to like the rear sway bar as much as I did.

Only placed 4th in Novice out of 34 entrants, but I was only 0.6s off 1st place. This is my last autocross event in Texas till we move to Ohio, I don't intend on running more unless I just wind up with a dearth of free time. Here's a video of my best run:

Considering I only had 30 minutes of drive time before the autocross event with the new sway bar I consider today a real success.

This looks like a freaking hell of a day!

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Ordered some rear louvres for the Miata, really stoked to get these. Was told the turnaround is 2-3 weeks, hopefully have them before the end of the month.

zM3fnek.png

I'm a sucker for a nice set of louvres, and these just fit the car so beautifully. I'm really surprised no one else makes louvres for this car.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Ordered some rear louvres for the Miata, really stoked to get these. Was told the turnaround is 2-3 weeks, hopefully have them before the end of the month.

zM3fnek.png

I'm a sucker for a nice set of louvres, and these just fit the car so beautifully. I'm really surprised no one else makes louvres for this car.
Man I havnt seen a car with those in years! Nice addition

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
. . . This is my last autocross event in Texas till we move to Ohio, I don't intend on running more unless I just wind up with a dearth of free time. . . .

What part of Ohio are you moving too? There are a handful of SCCA Chapters in the area, and even my "Southern" WV chapter runs in Parkersburg, right on the WV/OH border.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
What part of Ohio are you moving too? There are a handful of SCCA Chapters in the area, and even my "Southern" WV chapter runs in Parkersburg, right on the WV/OH border.

We're not sure yet, we've got a lot of houses throughout the state. One of our top 3 is on the border of Ohio and WV though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Man I havnt seen a car with those in years! Nice addition
Pretty common mod with Mustangs still these days. See quite a few of those with louvres on the side quarter and rear windows.

20201012_154203_kindlephoto-57070535-2-jpg.40473

The look can be hit or miss depending on how the car louvres fit the particular car and how the car has been modded overall.

Sometimes, they look fantastic, other times, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad