OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the Jones thing is part caution, part easy way to shut him down for a month or so, depending on how they do it.

Also makes some sense of the false callup news the other day, though you'd think that if there were any question about Jones pitching, he both would not have been allowed to start and we would have called up a pitcher to spot start or something. Still, I think an injury might be the best explanation for the initial Palacios rumor.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Perez doing his part, (so far), 1 run through 4, let's get him some runs.

EDIT: Reynolds with the homer, 1-1

Perez through 5, only 1 run, 59 pitches in. Would be great if he could give us two more innings.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Tough to say with Perez only at 60 pitches, but I'm not sure I'd have him face the lineup a third time. His approach works really well if the hitters stay off balance, but if they aren't fooled and can time him up, it's going to be 4-1 or so in a hurry. It might be the kind of thing where we have to get some more length after Jones and Keller both only went 5 innings, but Perez feels like he's dancing on a tightrope here.

Maybe he can get you the 6th inning and then come out. The Cardinals aren't really that dangerous as a lineup, but two or three more runs is probably insurmountable.

And Burleson battles a single as I finish typing this. This is now red alert, as Perez doesn't have the K stuff to bail him out. Best case might be GIDP and escape down 2-1.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Massive break there, no clue what Wynn was thinking but I guess it was plausible that Hayes could go home and have him out easily.

Now it's an interesting conversation if you try to squeeze one more out of Perez. I lean no, but the bullpen is kind of in a state where if you can reserve one of Mlod, Holderman, or Chapman for tomorrow, that's probably for the best. We also have the possibility that Suwinski or MAT will be gone after the game and another pitcher will come up, even if it's temporary bullpen help for the weekend before we need another starter.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wow, circle that inning if we can win this game.

To come out of that with no runs scored is amazing. The Cards discipline/fundamentals this series have been as bad as the Pirates.

Tough to say with Perez only at 60 pitches, but I'm not sure I'd have him face the lineup a third time. His approach works really well if the hitters stay off balance, but if they aren't fooled and can time him up, it's going to be 4-1 or so in a hurry. It might be the kind of thing where we have to get some more length after Jones and Keller both only went 5 innings, but Perez feels like he's dancing on a tightrope here.

Maybe he can get you the 6th inning and then come out. The Cardinals aren't really that dangerous as a lineup, but two or three more runs is probably insurmountable.

And Burleson battles a single as I finish typing this. This is now red alert, as Perez doesn't have the K stuff to bail him out. Best case might be GIDP and escape down 2-1.
Yeah, you are probably right. I think they might have gone to a reliever if the pen wasn't short handed.

Somehow it worked out right. But probably best not to push our luck with another inning.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Massive break there, no clue what Wynn was thinking but I guess it was plausible that Hayes could go home and have him out easily.

Now it's an interesting conversation if you try to squeeze one more out of Perez. I lean no, but the bullpen is kind of in a state where if you can reserve one of Mlod, Holderman, or Chapman for tomorrow, that's probably for the best. We also have the possibility that Suwinski or MAT will be gone after the game and another pitcher will come up, even if it's temporary bullpen help for the weekend before we need another starter.
Yeah, iirc we weren't set at DP depth, wasn't Hayes even with the bag? Im too lazy to rewatch. I think Hayes throws him out at the plate if he runs.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah Hayes was just a bit back from the bag, though I think it's possible that he would have taken the two outs, but hard to say for sure.

Credit to Perez for a hell of a start. I think with 8-9-1 due up, it's tempting to see if you can even get 1 more out of him, or part of one, but I wouldn't mess with letting Wynn face him again. He's been an absolute menace against us all year. I'd go with the fresh BP arm and hope we can claw out the lead.

Slipped my mind that Chapman went 2 last night for some reason, so I imagine the plan here might be Nicolas and Mlodzinski, or perhaps Nicolas and Holderman.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah Hayes was just a bit back from the bag, though I think it's possible that he would have taken the two outs, but hard to say for sure.
m and hope we can claw out the lead.

Slipped my mind that Chapman went 2 last night for some reason, so I imagine the plan here might be Nicolas and Mlodzinski, or perhaps Nicolas and Holderman.
Yeah, definitely on the bolded.

What a performance by Perez. Goes 7 and give up only 1 run, that's great stuff.

Come on offense!

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Another game in the long list in which the pitching does its job, but the offense is basically non existent.

Pirates lose, 3-2 in the 10th.

EDIT: Reds up 8-4 in the 8th, if they hold on, they will pass us in the standings, that will be 5 teams we would have to jump for the 2nd WC spot.

Last edited:

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Another game in the long list in which the pitching does its job, but the offense is basically non existent.

Pirates lose, 3-2 in the 10th.

EDIT: Reds up 8-4 in the 8th, if they hold on, they will pass us in the standings, that will be 5 teams we would have to jump for the 2nd WC spot.
I wouldn't worry about it. We have a bottom 3 lineup.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Not much new here with Mayo's mock, but I think it does represent one of the less ideal outcomes for us. He has Bazzana up top, and then basically all of the other top 7 college guys going in order, until mocking us Tibbs, and the top two prep guys right after us at 10 and 11.

If that's how it plays out (i.e., if we can't get Kurtz or Montgomery), then I am increasingly of the opinion that the best move is to go with the best prep guy on our board, even if that won't be hugely popular. I don't think the front office really cares about being popular, and at least when it comes to the draft, that's probably a good thing, even though this group hasn't earned the right not to care.

Still, I don't want to undersell Tibbs too much. In some ways he is ideal for us, as he will likely come at a decent slot discount, allowing us to go bigger at our next two picks, which in fairness does seem like an area where we have done well in recent years (Jones, Mlod, Chandler, Harrington). Tibbs is close to an MLB-ready bat, but he won't offer a ton defensively, as he's limited to so-so corner OF or 1B.

It's tricky, because in some sense this hypothetical scenario may make it seem like the consensus is that the two prep players don't belong in the first tier of players, and that is the way some lists tend to be written (I haven't seen McDaniel's, so I don't know there).

I remain pretty focused on Kurtz, who Mayo has going 6th here, but the interesting wrinkle is that he has both college pitchers going 7 and 8. I really have no idea, but my assumption is that at least some of the college pitching and one of the prep players will go in that 5-7 range. My sense is that the danger teams for Kurtz are Oakland and St. Louis, but there are still too many moving parts to really do more than guess.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Jared Jones out at least the entirely of July and probably longer.

I'm shocked! (milking that non issue lat for service time manipulation now that Skenes is the runaway favorite for ROTY).
They did say it was Grade 2

But yeah, "convenient" timing

Pretty sure we aren't gonna beat severino tonight, so skenes might get another loss

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
rowdy-tellez-scream-rowdy-tellez.gif

Holy shit!

Reactions: td_ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad