OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

This seems way off to me. It's hard to actually guess at how teams value Robert's pretty bad health issues, but it's also nearly impossible to get the kind of talent that he actually is, let alone at a bargain guaranteed price for three prime seasons.

I would think that if the Pirates had to add Chandler to this package, it would still easily be worth doing without even hesitating. And even that strikes me as something that a team like the Orioles could top without much issue.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I think Marte is the best answer here.

Cruz is close, but he needs to be a stud and not just a whiffs & bombs guy. Gonzales had all of his inexplicable whiffs crop back up so reserving judgment.

Davis and Hayes have killed this team offensively the entire year. Hayes's regression sucks, but it is mind-boggling that Davis is hitting-pitcher bad at the dish. He shows no causes for hope in his ABs aside from his 430 foot shots that are 40 feet to the left of the left field foul pole
Hayes regression is injury related. They basically said there is nothing they can do for it and he has to play through the pain. His season won't be turning around.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I truly do not understand why Suwinsky is on this team and a guy like Palacious, who was out best player the last two months of the season, wallows in Triple A.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's hard to defend some of the passivity. The Reds were playing an extreme shift on Reynolds, which would have let Cutch walk into second base.

That's a one-run single instead of a two-run single basically because we didn't take the opportunity given to us.

Reactions: metalan2

metalan2

May 30, 2008
It's hard to defend some of the passivity. The Reds were playing an extreme shift on Reynolds, which would have let Cutch walk into second base.

That's a one-run single instead of a two-run single basically because we didn't take the opportunity given to us.
It's a travesty. This team is not serious about winning baseball games. They'll win games if it just falls that way, but they will do nothing to get an extra run here or there or prevent one.

since70

Sep 27, 2016
I guess when you hire below average front office, coaching and development staff it stands to reason your talent acquisition and evaluation, as well as development would follow the organizational structure. We can't be shocked they're as bad as they are, it was predetermined, and we've been in a decades long cycle of the faces might change but the abilities they bring remain the same.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I thought that Cruz AB with the bases loaded was just awful. And was a pivotal point in the game.

True, he got a run home, by getting contact from that very high in zone ball, and the Reds getting an out. But watching two strikes go by without a swing before that, was not good. You could hear the disappointment in Wehner's voice on that one pitch that was slow iirc 91, and looked middle middle. And Cruz didn't offer.

It's not why we lost, (I am assuming, as we are losing by 6 right now) for sure, but was disappointing.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
We played 6 okay innings

But there's 9 (well, more like 8 on the road losing)

I thought that Cruz AB with the bases loaded was just awful. And was a pivotal point in the game.

True, he got a run home, by getting contact from that very high in zone ball, and the Reds getting an out. But watching two strikes go by without a swing before that, was not good. You could hear the disappointment in Wehner's voice on that one pitch that was slow iirc 91, and looked middle middle. And Cruz didn't offer.

It's not why we lost, (I am assuming, as we are losing by 6 right now) for sure, but was disappointing.
Eh... Sucks but we did put 5 runs up.... Even a grand slam and we would have lost

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
At this point I find it hard to see the season thus far as anything but a total failure. The Pirates have 3 stud starters and are still a bad team.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
We played 6 okay innings

But there's 9 (well, more like 8 on the road losing)

Eh... Sucks but we did put 5 runs up.... Even a grand slam and we would have lost
Yeah, true. Yeah, and Cruz did get a two run homer later. But the game was out of hand by then.

Well, a disappointing start to this series. Hopefully we can get to even tomorrow.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I truly do not understand why Suwinsky is on this team and a guy like Palacious, who was out best player the last two months of the season, wallows in Triple A.

He's been injured. If he performs well in the minors he'll be recalled soon.

Reactions: metalan2

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
He's been injured. If he performs well in the minors he'll be recalled soon.
Bae finally off IL too. Doing an Optioned stint now for some reason. It would be nice to get some base running speed back in the mix. And someone who could play outfield and not f*** up fly balls...or give Gonzales a break from the cold streak on infield.

But no, we'll just keep bae in AAA for god knows how long. No problems on the MLB team at all. Run it back, Shelton.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Definitely a big test tonight for Keller to see if he can act as some kind of stopper. You get the sense that if we drop this one, then at the least a mini-slide is fully on, though the frustrating reality (it cuts both ways) is that this team and most others are going to hang around in the WC race unless they lose 6 or 7 in a row.

I also have to say that Suwinski had better not be in the lineup today and be on his way to Indy ASAP. Struggling at the plate is one thing, but how he's playing defense is completely inexcusable. On top of poor reads, he's doing completely lackadaisical stuff like jogging to the ball and mimicking Grandal with lollipop throws. Elly burned him yesterday in an embarrassing way.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Cruz, imo, didn't deserve that throwing error into home plate. That was a catchable ball that Grandal seemed to show no interest in catching. I have no idea what Grandal was doing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad