OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Jones probably needs a breather or a break, he's had arguably 1 good start out of his past 5 (2 bad, 2 mediocre). Despite that, the Pirates have 3 of the top 65 pitching fWAR so the pitching side of things is still pretty good especially compared to the bats.

Davis needs a reset, development is never a straight line. His defense is passable if not average at C and he has mashed the ball at AAA before. At worst, he is a AAAA player, but I won't pass judgement on 357 at bats.

However, hell no to a Torkelson swap; Davis has at least mashed at several levels, the last time Torkelson had an above average season for a 1B was his first minor league season.

Sad trombone when a 37 yr old Cutch has the highest OBP on the team.

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jones probably needs a breather or a break, he's had arguably 1 good start out of his past 5 (2 bad, 2 mediocre). Despite that, the Pirates have 3 of the top 65 pitching fWAR so the pitching side of things is still pretty good especially compared to the bats.

Davis needs a reset, development is never a straight line. His defense is passable if not average at C and he has mashed the ball at AAA before. At worst, he is a AAAA player, but I won't pass judgement on 357 at bats.

However, hell no to a Torkelson swap; Davis has at least mashed at several levels, the last time Torkelson had an above average season for a 1B was his first minor league season.

Sad trombone when a 37 yr old Cutch has the highest OBP on the team.

Davis has already been sent back to AAA. Delay was called up and I think he had a really good game in his first game back.

I imagine we'll be seeing Jones sent back to Bradenton for a rest sometime in the next few weeks. Not only do they need to keep his innings down, but he also seems like he's getting tired and needs the break. They can't do it right now, but they'll do that once they start getting healthier in their rotation.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
It's demoralizing knowing the Pirates have the worst offense in the league and a 2-0 lead is nearly insurmountable.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's frustrating but Lodolo is a good pitcher who looks really sharp tonight. Not much Falter can do. He's gotten some good luck with the BABIP but also eaten innings well and kept it competitive. I think the Reds just blew a late inning lead the other day, so I'd probably manage to keep it close, though not quite sure I'd burn Chapman/Holderman/Bednar if we still have 0 runs.

It would be nice if Falter can get another inning, maybe even 2.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, we just got beat. We maybe had a chance to claim a lead there in the third inning after Reynolds' double, but Lodolo was hitting his spots all game and the Reds just didn't make a mistake. Falter nearly pulled off a shutout, even if he also had a fair amount of traffic and got some good bounces.

It was a game the Reds had to take. I like Keller vs. Greene tomorrow, but Greene is more than capable of mowing down a lineup that doesn't have too many hitters locked in right now. Gonzales had some tough ABs tonight, though he battled some in his final one. Cruz ran into a ball as a pinch hitter, and he will be key tomorrow.

We'll need Keller to put up a similar 6+, low scoring affair, but Greene has been far from perfect or efficient. Presumably it will be an offensive environment with the day game, so it will be important to punish him if he's walking 3+ as he has in several starts.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was not expecting us to do well against Lodolo especially with Joe in the wilderness. I think Cutch was right to just go for it on Reynolds' smash in the 8th and try to tie it. Just good defense by Cinci.

Tomorrow is a huge game.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
What is the point of your post?? He's stating a frustrating fact and instead of addressing his point, you make a snarky remark. And people like your post.... amazing
Well, metal has a tendency to only show up when things aren't going well and to find the darkness even when things are

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't mind people being negative about the Pirates if it's constructive discussion and actually adds value.

People who just come into here to bitch and moan about the team while offering literally nothing but bitching and moaning? Yeah, screw that.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I was not expecting us to do well against Lodolo especially with Joe in the wilderness. I think Cutch was right to just go for it on Reynolds' smash in the 8th and try to tie it. Just good defense by Cinci.

Tomorrow is a huge game.
I agree, I got no problem with Cutch going for it.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, sucks we couldn't help Falter out with run support. He did his job. The Reds did sting the ball pretty good vs Falter with some hard outs and deep fouls, besides the hits, but 2 runs through 7, we'll take that all the time.

Reactions: Factorial

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Went tonight. Damn was it hot. Just gotta say.. wtf is with pinch hitting Suwinski? Had nice seats but it doesn't matter where you sit or watch, Jack's swing is jacked up. It is so tight and so awkward at this point. He should not be in the Majors right now. Why is Rowdy not pinch hitting there, if anyone??
Frustrating one, as TD said Reds had some hard contact tonight but still very solid from Falter. Have to add some bats somewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Fangraphs released the Pirates prospect update. No super notable surprises here, but the Pirates have 8 45 FV or better SP prospects. It also has Brannigan at a 45 FV, which I think is a bit of a jump for him.

Fangraphs loves Jones as a prospect as well, saying the only thing keeping him from a 60 FV prospect is his size. He graduated as a top-20 prospect in baseball.

Reactions: td_ice

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The bats showed up again. It sucks we have to win most games 2-1, or 3-2, and if we go down, we normally have no chance of coming back.

Lunacy we haven't made a move for another bat, but then again, this organization isn't actually trying to win.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Rinse and repeat today Hunter Greene is good but still. We’ll probably get shut out by him and give up a RBI double to like that freaky looking dude Jonathan ****ing India or something, 1-0 final.

Reactions: metalan2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad