OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Pirates wasted back-to-back games with a grand slam, which was the first time the Pirates achieved such an offensive feat since 2000.

Pat Mears and John Vanderwal were the two who hit the respective grand slams in 2000.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Only the biggest loser franchise can lose games back to back after coming back from the dead in the 1st game of the series. I though we'd seen a possible springboard. Nah, right back to utter garbage.

And nothing will change tomorrow.

I'll bet every single thing I own in this world, the team won't be in Pittsburgh in 2030.

Reactions: metalan2

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Had to watch both games on a delay due to being busy with some other stuff this week. Brutal groundhog day situation.

Maybe the only impressive thing about Cherington is the extent to which this rot is assembled. In one sense, both last night and tonight could be argued as losses in direct proportion to the refusal to just DFA Rowdy Tellez and be done with in.

However, there are plenty of ways to imagine the same kind of result taking place if Rowdy had been DFA'd before the home stand started.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Nutting doesn't give a shit. He's making tens of millions every year and is going to sell the team for a huge profit in 2029.

f*** them all.
He's making so much money that he said his ownership would be "generational".

I had this argument with DK when he stated he believed their profit was only 15 million per; if it truly was that low, Nutter would have sold the team already for a billion dollar payday. Using this logic, the profit numbers become awe-inspiring.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
MLB would need a salary cap and changes to revenue sharing to get new ownership here

But this team wouldn't be worth someone trying to build it back up if that were to happen, so no one would want to buy in

It's just really annoying to have no hope. I grew up with the Athletics and it's just the same damn thing with that team.

At least Pittsburgh got a new ballpark which won't be needing $500mil in retrofits for maybe another 7-10 years. But you can bet they'll try and pin that work on the taxpayers again, and i hope no one votes for it.

Which owner gives the least shits while making the most money cause they know they have cool colors, logos, and history that will sell tickets if they just say they're going for it every off-season?

8r84q9.jpg

Last edited:

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
MLB would need a salary cap and changes to revenue sharing to get new ownership here

But this team wouldn't be worth someone trying to build it back up if that were to happen, so no one would want to buy in

It's just really annoying to have no hope. I grew up with the Athletics and it's just the same damn thing with that team.

At least Pittsburgh got a new ballpark which won't be needing $500mil in retrofits for maybe another 7-10 years. But you can bet they'll try and pin that work on the taxpayers again, and i hope no one votes for it.

Which owner gives the least shits while making the most money cause they know they have cool colors, logos, and history that will sell tickets if they just say they're going for it every off-season?

View attachment 874990
6 years. PNC Park's lease renewal will be up in 2031. We will hear about renovations being wanted well before that. Nutting is a cheap asshole, I expect it to be messy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Moving Reynolds to 1B is actually a crackpot idea that I don't actually hate. His defense in LF has been absolutely deteriorating over the past few years. He's already at -5 OAA this year and finished last year with -7 OAA last year.

I was assuming his future was as a DH within the next 3 years, but moving him to 1B would actually be another interesting option.

Harper had a similar decline in defensive ability in the OF at the same age as Reynolds, and while the UCL injury definitely expedited it, he has since moved to be a full-time 1B for the Phillies. This year, he's at a +3 OAA as a 1B and is one of the best defensive 1st basemen in the sport.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't know why you would move Cruz to 1B rather than trying him in the OF first.

I thought we did that in Indy in 2022 and he was a disaster. Otherwise I would agree.

He catches the ball pretty well and has a huge wingspan. He just has throwing demons - I think he's better suited at 1st. No law saying a 1B can't be fast or aggressive on the basepaths.

Reactions: DaveG

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It's just the blind leading the blind. No real plan.

The worst orgs fail miserably in one key area.

Accountability. There is none w/the Pirates. There doesn't need to be. They don't threaten the big markets and the owner is making a shitload of money thanks to revenue sharing, or rather, the rich paying the poor to stay in the slums.

Reactions: sovietsanta87

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don't get the talk of playing Henry Davis at 1B. His best tool is probably his throwing arm. Reynolds to 1B would be a much more logical use of resources as he's a minus defender and getting worse all the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah Davis should stick at C, he’s not a good defensive catcher but he’s not nearly bad enough to be unplayable there. Reynolds at 1st makes far more sense, in fact Reynolds at 1B is a decision that makes the most sense of any idea with him.

The question with Davis is whether he’ll be a catcher for the Pirates or someone else. I like Bart and Endy more at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad