OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
The Pirates are up 5-0 in the 9th inning and yet I still don't feel good about their chances.

Probably because David Bednar is pitching.

Edit: They'll probably go on some crazy win streak and save Shelton's job.

Shelton has lost some games this year but he's the not the reason the Pirates are where they are.

Also, Nutting isn't going to pay the remaining years on his contract not to manage the Pirates.

Nice win tonight.

Skenes, even when he can't throw strikes, is good.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Shelton has lost some games this year but he's the not the reason the Pirates are where they are.

Also, Nutting isn't going to pay the remaining years on his contract not to manage the Pirates.

Nice win tonight.

Skenes, even when he can't throw strikes, is good.
Not true.

They fired Clint Hurdle with 2 years remaining. Also ate 2 years of GMNH.

It can definitely happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the justification for firing Shelton is that he's simply not a good manager, regardless of whether you want to argue whether he's just mediocre or terrible. I think there is so much blame to put on Cherington and Nutting that it's impossible to solely focus on Shelton, but I think it's abundantly clear that Shelton isn't a part of the solution for this team. He may not be "the problem" but he's not helping you get to where you want either.

They need a veteran manager to take this team to the next level IMO. Give me 2011 Clint Hurdle and I'd be wildly happy.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It sucks that Triolo hasn't been able to maintain his contact skills from 2023, I think he'd be a completely viable Hayes replacement if he was just hitting .275 rather than .200.

That being said, it's pretty obvious that his 2023 was a fluke and his 2024 performance is much closer in line with his actual hitting talent.
He literally had the highest BABIP in MLB history in 2023. There's never been a flukier season.

Reactions: Still Apps

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
My reaction was mostly from someone posting that DK said Shelton's firing was imminent.
That was me, but his qualifier was if the team has a miracle finish, it will save his job.

Since it's DK, I took it with a grain of salt, even though I want it to be true, regardless of how they finish.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I still think its absurd that we don't know the length of the extension Shelton signed last year.

1725477003456.png

1725477029926.png

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still think its absurd that we don't know the length of the extension Shelton signed last year.
Do we even know the amount in salary?

I saw something like 1.0 for 2024 if that's even correct? Not exactly earth shattering to eat a year or two of that amount for a billionaire. He'll just prevent Cherington from adding salary and actually remove salary for a couple years and start from scratch (which is nothing new to this owner) to help keep the pockets flow unchanged.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah I decided to watch Indy tonight instead with Chandler on the mound lol. He struggled with command but avoided any big blow ups apart from one inning. Final line 5IP 3H 3ER 5BB 8K

Offense really showed up with 19 hits, although a lot of those were singles. Palacios 4-5, Yorke 3-6, Jason Delay 4RBI

Should Indy hang on here in the 9th, they'll move to 3 GB of Columbus for the top record in the 2nd half and a spot in the IL Championship series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad