OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Are you saying Triolo > Jazz Chisholm?

I'm generally a Triolo backer and this is insane. A Davis/Chisholm trade would have been awesome for us, full stop
No i am saying Jazz isn’t some game changer hil coming here doesn’t really fix our issues

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No i am saying Jazz isn’t some game changer hil coming here doesn’t really fix our issues

Ok. Neither does Henry Davis. And as a lotto ticket he is becoming far less intriguing.

As MBS said, this whole "Davis is analogous to Bart" thing is some heavy wishcasting.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Regarding Davis, I'm pretty over him at this point but I also firmly believe he has talent and just needs to be developed properly. I think his issues are all mental, he clearly has hitting talent that is shown at AAA and doesn't really have a strikeout or walk problem. I firmly believe he just needs to go on a run for like 2 weeks in the MLB and everything will fall into place.

That being said, I have no confidence in him doing that here. I both doubt this team's ability to properly develop him and I also think Davis needs a refresh on a new team. The Pirates got insanely lucky with Bart panning out after getting him for nothing, I think Davis may be another guy who just needs to go somewhere new to figure out his stuff.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'll go on record saying that if Shelton and Haines (Marin deserves to have a look with a new manager) are canned and the roster is largely the same for next year with a 1-2 hypothetical upgrades on offense, the new manager will have this team over 80 wins. I don't even have the slightest clue as to who we'd hire but I just think Shelton and Haines are THAT bad.

The worst manger-hitting coach combo I've seen in 30+ years watching this franchise.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'll go on record saying that if Shelton and Haines (Marin deserves to have a look with a new manager) are canned and the roster is largely the same for next year with a 1-2 hypothetical upgrades on offense, the new manager will have this team over 80 wins. I don't even have the slightest clue as to who we'd hire but I just think Shelton and Haines are THAT bad.

The worst manger-hitting coach combo I've seen in 30+ years watching this franchise.
I don't know what happened with Joe Girardi in Philly, but I wouldn't mind him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah I don't see why this team can't get another Clint Hurdle type of manager. You don't need an A+++ manager for this team, but getting a veteran guy like a 2011 Hurdle would be incredible for this team.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't know what happened with Joe Girardi in Philly, but I wouldn't mind him.

Ideally we are only targeting someone who has a record of actually winning at this level. It's possible that isn't even an option this fall/winter depending on who's available, but I'd wager enough cash would bring just about anyone in. The question is (and it's probably easily answered) will Cherington be given enough coin to actually convince a legitimate baseball person to manage the team for multiple seasons.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Ideally we are only targeting someone who has a record of actually winning at this level. It's possible that isn't even an option this fall/winter depending on who's available, but I'd wager enough cash would bring just about anyone in. The question is (and it's probably easily answered) will Cherington be given enough coin to actually convince a legitimate baseball person to manage the team for multiple seasons.
Girardi was manager of the year with the Marlins, then got fired for questioning their payroll commitments (lol), and won a World Series with the Yankees.

No way he'd take the Pirates job if he hates penny pinching teams.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Regarding Davis, I'm pretty over him at this point but I also firmly believe he has talent and just needs to be developed properly. I think his issues are all mental, he clearly has hitting talent that is shown at AAA and doesn't really have a strikeout or walk problem. I firmly believe he just needs to go on a run for like 2 weeks in the MLB and everything will fall into place.

That being said, I have no confidence in him doing that here. I both doubt this team's ability to properly develop him and I also think Davis needs a refresh on a new team. The Pirates got insanely lucky with Bart panning out after getting him for nothing, I think Davis may be another guy who just needs to go somewhere new to figure out his stuff.

It's tough to say that he has been developed badly but also say he has a mental block. I can kinda make the linkage with the RF thing, but if a guy translates his troubles in the field to the plate it is his issue again.

I hope he figures it out here. At this point, expectations are basically nil for him.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
If the Pirates want to win this series, tonight is the night, with Skenes on the mound.

Imanaga pitches tomorrow for the Cubs, so that doesn't bode well.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If the Pirates want to win this series, tonight is the night, with Skenes on the mound.

Imanaga pitches tomorrow for the Cubs, so that doesn't bode well.
Yep and cubs are throwing Hendricks
I do like that the squeezed skenes in for 2 starts on their last home stand and Sunday he could face the guy drafted after him

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Yep and cubs are throwing Hendricks
I do like that the squeezed skenes in for 2 starts on their last home stand and Sunday he could face the guy drafted after him
After this Cubs series they have seven straight winnable games.

I want the Pirates to finish with some respectability, but I also don't want Shelton or his staff to return, so I'm torn.

Reactions: Factorial

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
After this Cubs series they have seven straight winnable games.

I want the Pirates to finish with some respectability, but I also don't want Shelton or his staff to return, so I'm torn.
I think Haines is fired no matter what.
I also think we match up well with Boston and Bmore as trade partners for hitting and pitching

Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It sucks that Triolo hasn't been able to maintain his contact skills from 2023, I think he'd be a completely viable Hayes replacement if he was just hitting .275 rather than .200.

That being said, it's pretty obvious that his 2023 was a fluke and his 2024 performance is much closer in line with his actual hitting talent.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The Pirates are up 5-0 in the 9th inning and yet I still don't feel good about their chances.

Probably because David Bednar is pitching.

Edit: They'll probably go on some crazy win streak and save Shelton's job.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Wild win

I have to hope if the pirates have any backbone, that the staff will be fired anyway

They could do it now, but they aren't TOTAL dumpster fire level yet.... Im ok letting it play out the rest of the year

I just know they don't have the moxie to fire these clowns anyway and I'll be disappointed

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Once they finish those seven games against the Nationals and Marlins, they only have three games left with the Reds, the rest are against playoff teams, or the Cardinals, who are still playing for a playoff spot.

4 against the Nationals
3 against the Marlins
3 against the Royals
The final long homestead left in 2024

4 in St. Louis
3 in Cincinnati

Final 3 home games of 2024 against the Brewers

Final 3 games of the 2024 regular season against the Yankees in New York.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
they are probably going to have a good 10 home stand against Washington Miami and Kc get close to 500 and draw us back in

Once they finish those seven games against the Nationals and Marlins, they only have three games left with the Reds, the rest are against playoff teams, or the Cardinals, who are still playing for a playoff spot.
What if hhe yankees and brewers are locked up and resting their starters for the playoffs

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
What if hhe yankees and brewers are locked up and resting their starters for the playoffs
Milwaukee I can see having the division wrapped up by then, but the Yankees are in a dog fight with the Orioles and I see that race coming down to the final weekend.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd feel more confident with Triolo at 3rd next year than Hayes. Ideally it would be neither, but I want Triolo on this bench (and I feel confident he will be).

For as much of a cheap POS as Nutting, I expect us to get someone.
I expect them to bring back Tellez for $4M and Cutch for $5M.
Also doing a quick search, I like the idea of Yoan Moncada at 3B for $8M. Move Hayes for anything, retain if you must.

vs. RHP
SS IKF
LF Reynolds
CF Cruz
DH Cutch
1B Tellez
3B Moncada
C Bart
2B Gonzales
RF BDLC

vs. LHP
SS IKF
LF Reynolds
1B Bart
DH Cutch
3B Moncada
2B Gonzales
CF Cruz
C Endy
RF BDLC

BN: Triolo, Endy, Yorke, Cook, Davis (I guess)

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I don't expect a 10-game winning streak, I just want to see them finish with some positives, and then shitcan the coaching staff and GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad