OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
It looks really nice. Location location location is gonna be nicer though... Sorry PA... It's not san diego lol

Ortiz refuses to make his life easy

And Cruz refuses to help lol

Yeah, but way too many people live in southern California. No thanks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This skid has really made me lose confidence in this team for next year. I thought this team was going to finish with like 83-85 wins and damn close to a wildcard spot, which at least gives them hope going forward. Now? I’d be surprised if they got more wins than they did last year.

It was an absolutely positive year that completely unraveled after the deadline.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
This skid has really made me lose confidence in this team for next year. I thought this team was going to finish with like 83-85 wins and damn close to a wildcard spot, which at least gives them hope going forward. Now? I’d be surprised if they got more wins than they did last year.

It was an absolutely positive year that completely unraveled after the deadline.
I'm sure the feeling in the clubhouse is the same right now

I think they can do better next year. But this year is dying alive

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm sure the feeling in the clubhouse is the same right now

I think they can do better next year. But this year is dying alive

Yeah they were relying on Tellez being amazing, Gonzales getting a bunch of clutch RBIs and a great bullpen for most of June and July to win as a team. But all of those are toast and no one is stepping up to replace them.

This team has pieces for next year, but they’re in the same spot as they have been in: they simply need major batting help. It’s literally just Reynolds who is a reliable hitter for this team.

This team is built to be mediocre and there’s nothing that suggests it will improve going forward, either from the player personnel side or the ownership side.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I mean, didn't this exact season happen in 2012?

A few games out of division or wildcard going into August/September, and we literally lost like 25 out of 30 and like 20 in a row?

Good news is, we can make the playoffs next year if history is repeating itself.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
BDLC man... not even f***ing close
He is atrocious and so is everyone else.

I don't even know where to begin with those ABs by Hayes, BDLC and Bae. Adam is good but he is not unhittable. Fire Haines I guess? But these guys are just broken.

I would give away Hayes if I could. I really don't care about whatever WAR BS someone wants to throw at me. A 3B who can't OPS .600 is worth nothing and most teams wouldn't take him except as a defensive replacement.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Huntington's last year the Pirates went 69-93.
After finishing with a winning record in 4/7 years beforehand.

Will Cherington's 2024 Pirates with a generational pitcher in Paul Skenes break 70?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Maybe this collapse will finally free us from Bae, whose calling card basically seems to be that he has speed which he can't really use and can play defense at multiple positions but badly.

Nothing is going right at all, and the worst part of it is probably that the team is humming along basically as planned. We have been in almost every single game, but I'm not sure even a single won actually felt winnable, including games where we had the lead and needed three outs from the bullpen.

This game seems like it will be a 2-0 loss, or we'll somehow scrap to 2-2 and lose in extras. I have no basis for saying this at all but it also seems like if we can luck into 1 win, we might rattle off a few, but even 4-5 straight will be too little, too late.

Just utterly demoralizing and I agree that it puts a serious damper on next year. It already feels like we're on a razor thin wire just with the health of all of Skenes, Jones, and Keller being paramount, and that's the minimum to re-establish a mediocre team that needs serious upgrades which don't seem to be coming. I don't really even want to watch much anymore... besides Skenes, there's not much to look forward to. I guess seeing Cook or Yorke might be ok, but it's insane how fast it all went to shit.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Maybe this collapse will finally free us from Bae, whose calling card basically seems to be that he has speed which he can't really use and can play defense at multiple positions but badly.

Nothing is going right at all, and the worst part of it is probably that the team is humming along basically as planned. We have been in almost every single game, but I'm not sure even a single won actually felt winnable, including games where we had the lead and needed three outs from the bullpen.

This game seems like it will be a 2-0 loss, or we'll somehow scrap to 2-2 and lose in extras. I have no basis for saying this at all but it also seems like if we can luck into 1 win, we might rattle off a few, but even 4-5 straight will be too little, too late.

Just utterly demoralizing and I agree that it puts a serious damper on next year. It already feels like we're on a razor thin wire just with the health of all of Skenes, Jones, and Keller being paramount, and that's the minimum to re-establish a mediocre team that needs serious upgrades which don't seem to be coming. I don't really even want to watch much anymore... besides Skenes, there's not much to look forward to. I guess seeing Cook or Yorke might be ok, but it's insane how fast it all went to shit.

Bae did make a few good catches tonight.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’d probably just trade Hayes for whatever I could get and replace him with IKF for next year. He can revert back into his 85 OPS+ self and still not be a downgrade on Hayes offensively.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’d probably just trade Hayes for whatever I could get and replace him with IKF for next year. He can revert back into his 85 OPS+ self and still not be a downgrade on Hayes offensively.

I think they could also move Gonzales to 3rd and Yorke at 2nd.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The only other comment I have about the team is that Greg Brown should be shot at point blank range in the back of the head.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
hq720.jpg

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think this goes to 11 and we go 70-92 this year.

Haines sacrificial lamb and the org runs it back with the same "core."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad