OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think it actually matters that David Bednar is fat.

The bottom line is that he is closer to Wil Crowe than he is to Mason Miller stuff-wise.
This is why it's irresponsible for bad teams (like the Pirates in 2021-2023) to not trade relievers for hauls. Because at the end of the day he's an ordinary reliever who had a good run.
It's really tough to watch when the bats/pitching both fail this team.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I know the August trade rules have changed, but I think players can still be placed on waivers for the purpose of trades.

Put Chapman on waivers and see if anyone wants him, he's of no use to the team now.

I'd say do the same for Bednar, but he's from Mars, PA, so God forbid they get rid of him.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Cruz 0-4
IKF 0-4
Hayes 0-4

And everyone else sporadically around the lineup being 1-4/5 kills the ability to get runners around the bases

Everything just dies on the vine at 2nd, unless we get a HR but we don't have power bats to do that consistently

It's a bad mix and it's why we're a bad team

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I know the August trade rules have changed, but I think players can still be placed on waivers for the purpose of trades.

Put Chapman on waivers and see if anyone wants him, he's of no use to the team now.

I'd say do the same for Bednar, but he's from Mars, PA, so God forbid they get rid of him.
"We don't do that here".

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think they could still get something for Bednar, and now that he's going into arbitration they may prefer to get a 10-20 ranked prospect in someone's system versus paying him $7M next year.

It was a PR/vibes hit to trade a local guy when he looks like a special reliever. But now the guy has been booed off the field at home multiple times. Pittsburghers stop giving hometown kids benefit of the doubt when their underperformance craters a season.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also for the Cherington apologists who rattle off every single pitcher in the Pirates entire organization - the other options for the 10th inning were Ben Heller, Woodford and German.

Don't wanna f****g hear about some prospect you like in H-A ball when ya boi can't construct a major league roster.

Reactions: td_ice

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Also for the Cherington apologists who rattle off every single pitcher in the Pirates entire organization - the other options for the 10th inning were Ben Heller, Woodford and German.

Don't wanna f****g hear about some prospect you like in H-A ball when ya boi can't construct a major league roster.
Yea, when it comes down to it we have an $80m payroll.

Joke of a franchise.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The last numbers I've seen on Bednar suggest that his stuff still grades out fine. I think he needs a different look for RHH because none of them really seem fazed by him lately.

I don't think it's an overstatement to say that he and Colin Holderman blew the entire season with this losing streak. We can make a big deal out of certain offensive players not coming through in certain spots (and BDLC doing absolutely nothing ranks up there), but at the end of the day we have had so many late leads during this losing stream that it's ridiculous.

Other than the Skenes start in LA and the shutout during that weird long rain delay game vs SDP, the offense has really held up its end of the bargain. There's not even much point in saying this but we now need something like 6-0 just to course correct and have any prayer at a big late run for the wild card.

It's beyond frustrating that the Diamondbacks and Padres may have effectively stamped their postseason tickets over the past week with 8-2 runs. If we had performed, we'd be breathing down the Brewers' necks. Even if we had not totally cratered, we'd be surviving in the thick of a WC race and seeing an end to the gauntlet of tougher opponents. And I'm talking just not getting swept and going on a losing streak: flipping 3 to the win column would still have us barely over .500.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The last numbers I've seen on Bednar suggest that his stuff still grades out fine. I think he needs a different look for RHH because none of them really seem fazed by him lately.
This is where analytics are BS. If a pitcher is terrified of throwing his 4-seam fastball, it's a bad pitch stuff-wise.

IMO Bednar's results always flattered his stuff in 2021-2023 just as he is getting some bad luck now. Every reliever except the super elite ones has variance. What this season proved is that Bednar is not a super elite reliever.

Your wider point is correct which is that this team is not equipped to have the pitching Falter. The Pirates have no path to victory in regular shootout games. The offense has way too low of a ceiling this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00