OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Why pull Woodford? Both of those hits should have been easy outs. Why waste the bullpen there?

Whatever.

Same old Bucs

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This will be a loss because the Padres are a level better than us (or more) at most every place on the field, even when it's not a Cease vs Falter matchup. In those circumstances, you can't bungle the defensive plays like we did and win.

I will not make (or at least I will try not to make) any more halfhearted defenses of Shelton's overall managerial presence. I still think the manager question is just a cog in the machine ultimately, but he's lost the plot this week. Triolo is pitcher hitting level bad. With 2 outs, you have to try something - Grandal even.

If we lose tomorrow, I don't think it's too aggressive to say the season is over. This was the make or break week.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
This homestand will be listed as the official time of death for the 2024 "Playoff Push" for the Pirates. This roster, even with Skenes, is really a 75-80 win ceiling team, so it's not surprising they aren't keeping up when it's likely to take 88+ to make the playoffs, but absent winning these next two games, you can call it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just the Pirates, just a different year but same result......

Bob Nutting....
iu

iu

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
My feeling about BDLC is that he's a decent source of cheap power -- probably the kind of guy that fits ok in the 6 spot, but better as a 7 hitter.

The Pirates basically have him in the 4-spot, which isn't gonna work unless he takes a huge leap over what he's shown in MLB (still possible given his age, but unlikely, and I don't even need to say that the Pirates' development is owned no "what ifs" on this front).

He's a really streaky hitter, too, which is perfect for that lower spot in the lineup. I still like IKF as someone to extend the lineup and be plugged into various spots around the field. We're ultimately missing multiple spots in the lineup and it's hard to see them coming internally: a leadoff batter and some more power for the 3-5 range.

It's too early to take a victory lap, but Jazz is absolutely taking off as a Yankee so far. The offseason will offer opportunities to pay the price for Robert, or pay the price in free agency for someone like Santander. Again, it probably doesn't need to be said that we'll do neither of those.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

This is actually decent perspective, although some of Todd's takes are wild.

It validates my increasing feeling that it's the division we need in our sights, but to again say what doesn't need said, it's all a moot point if the losses keep pouring in. Tonight's pitching matchup might be as bad as yesterday's was on paper. Hard to shake the feeling that the Joc Pederson HR/Colin Holderman are what effectively ended any playoff push.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Question: Could you make a strong argument for trading Skenes in the offseason to Baltimore would best the smartest path forward? Before a reactionary NO response, dream up lineup scenario's

Skenes for

Holliday
Ballsallo

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Question: Could you make a strong argument for trading Skenes in the offseason to Baltimore would best the smartest path forward? Before a reactionary NO response, dream up lineup scenario's

Skenes for

Holliday
Ballsallo
No, the Pirates are going to get an underwhelming package of players for him in five years when he laughs in their face after Nutting tries to lowball him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This has the feeling of an ugly inning if we can't get a ground ball.

We've had opportunities to punish them for mistakes and be up 5-1 or so.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad